Where's Dmitry?

paul secor

Who knows? It could be a sense of "what is there left to say?" I know I'm getting to that point. There not much more I can say about the musicians that love, so I wind up spending most of my time talking about baseball, and posting in What I'm Listening to Right Now? and it's starting to get old, and has been for awhile....

Well, hell, that's what you get when you're the smartest person in the room.

ding! granted, you probably want a serious dude as discographer (or air traffic controller or brain surgeon) but Fitzy-- he loved it when we called him "Fitzy"-- wasn't noted for his broad sense of humours.

as for other quietus, quietude, quiet-o-rama wife swapping ssssSSSSSHHH!! etc:

for a mostly teh jass board we done said most of what's interesting

which doesn't mean we done it all or can't go deeper but ...

it's a relatively limited field & not so compelling to some of The Titans.

at the same time, we don't wanna trample teh jass enthusiasm of others, except maybe when kids is wrong, or ig'nant, otherwise... they gotta learn thing on their own & since this ain't a paid gig anymore...

also, take as an example to the reductio ad absurdum of that thread on 45 rpm gatefold Blue Notes lps-- hey, why not go all the way & make 'em 78s?, w/folio albums festooned a la Woolf?

might be cool, might be ridiculous it's easy to see why some folks' attentions would drift elsewhere,

to edc, his like and unlike

(i'll strart a Fud Livingston thread in artists soon, promise)

Rightly or wrongly; for better or for worse; yada yada.....this appears to have become a common sentiment around these parts. I have noticed on occcasion that a relatively new poster will bring up a topic to discuss and will be hit by the third response with something like, " Use the search option...link link link....... or a little more gentle version..." I think this has been discussed....here, here, and here... It is almost like no one even wants to discuss jazz anymore....I appreciate that many of the topics here can become repetitive at times, but....geez..... There is some remarkable expertise around here and I for one really enjoy the input from the TITANS as they are described above. Many of the names who have contributed to THIS thread have been around a long, long time. I hope those who are bored and think that they have nothing left to say will return and contribute again. It seems to me, however, if we continue to run off the new guys and the old guys get bored and leave, it won't be long before the Big "o" dies a slow death. That is not something that many of us would want, I think.

Maybe we need to invite the guys at Blue Note back. As long as people could hurl insults in their direction there was never a lack of interest! (sarcasm intended) ....

just my 2 cents.....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rightly or wrongly; for better or for worse; yada yada.....this appears to have become a common sentiment around these parts. I have noticed on occcasion that a relatively new poster will bring up a topic to discuss and will be hit by the third response with something like, " Use the search option...link link link....... or a little more gentle version..." I think this has been discussed....here, here, and here... It is almost like no one even wants to discuss jazz anymore....I appreciate that many of the topics here can become repetitive at times, but....geez.....

just my 2 cents.....

another half cent, just want to make clear, when i post links to old threads (which i do fairly often) i really really do not want to say "couldn't you see your new thread wasn't necessary"... i really don't need things around me neatly organized and i don't have a problem with repitions (ok, i haven't been around here very long); i just think the initial poster might be interested in those threads and besides, when i am searching for something i find links to related threads (which don't need to be repititive, might be threads about a single album...) rather helpful; and as i have less to contribute than many many others i try to be helpful this way :)

Who knows? It could be a sense of "what is there left to say?" I know I'm getting to that point. There not much more I can say about the musicians that love, so I wind up spending most of my time talking about baseball, and posting in What I'm Listening to Right Now? and it's starting to get old, and has been for awhile....

Well, hell, that's what you get when you're the smartest person in the room.

ding! granted, you probably want a serious dude as discographer (or air traffic controller or brain surgeon) but Fitzy-- he loved it when we called him "Fitzy"-- wasn't noted for his broad sense of humours.

as for other quietus, quietude, quiet-o-rama wife swapping ssssSSSSSHHH!! etc:

for a mostly teh jass board we done said most of what's interesting

which doesn't mean we done it all or can't go deeper but ...

it's a relatively limited field & not so compelling to some of The Titans.

at the same time, we don't wanna trample teh jass enthusiasm of others, except maybe when kids is wrong, or ig'nant, otherwise... they gotta learn thing on their own & since this ain't a paid gig anymore...

also, take as an example to the reductio ad absurdum of that thread on 45 rpm gatefold Blue Notes lps-- hey, why not go all the way & make 'em 78s?, w/folio albums festooned a la Woolf?

might be cool, might be ridiculous it's easy to see why some folks' attentions would drift elsewhere,

to edc, his like and unlike

(i'll strart a Fud Livingston thread in artists soon, promise)

Rightly or wrongly; for better or for worse; yada yada.....this appears to have become a common sentiment around these parts. I have noticed on occcasion that a relatively new poster will bring up a topic to discuss and will be hit by the third response with something like, " Use the search option...link link link....... or a little more gentle version..." I think this has been discussed....here, here, and here... It is almost like no one even wants to discuss jazz anymore....I appreciate that many of the topics here can become repetitive at times, but....geez..... There is some remarkable expertise around here and I for one really enjoy the input from the TITANS as they are described above. Many of the names who have contributed to THIS thread have been around a long, long time. I hope those who are bored and think that they have nothing left to say will return and contribute again. It seems to me, however, if we continue to run off the new guys and the old guys get bored and leave, it won't be long before the Big "o" dies a slow death. That is not something that many of us would want, I think.

Maybe we need to invite the guys at Blue Note back. As long as people could hurl insults in their direction there was never a lack of interest! (sarcasm intended) ....

just my 2 cents.....

I don't mind people starting threads on topics or artists disussed before. There is always the chance new information, experiences or stories come out.