Mosaic Free Shipping

woofy

a complete Blue Mitchell BNs etc etc. ...

Didn't they actually come out with that last one? Mosaic MD4-178? "The Complete Blue Note Blue Mitchell Sessions." Is the title of this set in error?

"Collision in black" and "Bantu village" are missing from the Mosaic. The title of the set is not, however, in error. "The complete Blue Note Blue Mitchell Sessions 1963-1967". The missing items were recorded in 1968 and 1969 repectively. (It's like the small print on an insurance policy that means you won't ever be able to claim.)

MG

Bruce is probably a very happy man, having his post answered three times :cool:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed yet another Mosaic promotion but, I'll buy most of their sets with or without a discount. Any label that reissues 3 (possibly more) Duke Ellington sets will get my money! And, I got to bow down in reverence to a label that reissues such a broad range of jazz, especially the pre-bop and vocal sets.

:tup:tup:tup

Now if only they didn't raise the price of booklets of OOP sets to $20. :huh:

This leads to a BIG gap in my perception of the extent to which Mosaic has fulfilled its original promise, for which I blame MC...

MG, I'm not sure that the company had much of an "original promise". As I recall, in the brochure I received in 1986 (which was the first time I had heard of them), the explanation of the company was that two guys (Charlie Lourie and Michael Cuscuna) started the company to issue what they considered to be important music regardless of whether it had any commercial appeal or not.

As I recall, they cited the Monk Blue Note and the Mulligan/Baker as sets they considered to have commercial appeal, and the Tina Brooks and the Herbie Nichols as sets they considered to be without commercial appeal.

So from the start they said that they were going to issue music they liked and thought was important. They made it clear that nobody's opinion mattered but theirs, although later they asked for suggestions. I later called and placed an order with Charlie Lourie, and during our conversation I suggested the Four Freshmen and other vocals. Lourie dismissed the idea, and felt that there weren't any jazz vocals good enough! (Hard to believe, but that's how I remember it!)

The "limited edition" nature of the sets was stressed, in the sense that "you should order now or forever hold your peace". It was never suggested that their products would become popular and would be good investments for resale.

Edited by GARussell

This leads to a BIG gap in my perception of the extent to which Mosaic has fulfilled its original promise, for which I blame MC...

MG, I'm not sure that the company had much of an "original promise". As I recall, in the brochure I received in 1986 (which was the first time I had heard of them), the explanation of the company was that two guys (Charlie Lourie and Michael Cuscuna) started the company to issue what they considered to be important music regardless of whether it had any commercial appeal or not.

As I recall, they cited the Monk Blue Note and the Mulligan/Baker as sets they considered to have commercial appeal, and the Tina Brooks and the Herbie Nichols as sets they considered to be without commercial appeal.

So from the start they said that they were going to issue music they liked and thought was important. They made it clear that nobody's opinion mattered but theirs, although later they asked for suggestions. I later called and placed an order with Charlie Lourie, and during our conversation I suggested the Four Freshmen and other vocals. Lourie dismissed the idea, and felt that there weren't any jazz vocals good enough! (Hard to believe, but that's how I remember it!)

The "limited edition" nature of the sets was stressed, in the sense that "you should order now or forever hold your peace". It was never suggested that their products would become popular and would be good investments for resale.

I agree with everything you say Hans. As I explained earlier in the thread, I myself thought that the initiative showed promise, not that the principals ever said anything to make me think they'd be doing stuff for me - I just thought they might. And, of course, they did, a bit. I would simply have wished that they'd have done more.

MG

I agree with everything you say Hans. As I explained earlier in the thread, I myself thought that the initiative showed promise, not that the principals ever said anything to make me think they'd be doing stuff for me - I just thought they might. And, of course, they did, a bit. I would simply have wished that they'd have done more.

MG

Errr... I didn't post that comment.

If my order is below $100, am I guaranteed to escape custom tax?

Not in the Netherlands. Everything above $40 is checked. Unless you're lucky and the taxman is having lunch or something.....

The rules are the same for all European Union countries, including the U.K.

Edited by J.A.W.

If my order is below $100, am I guaranteed to escape custom tax?

Not in the Netherlands. Everything above $40 is checked. Unless you're lucky and the taxman is having lunch or something.....

The rules are the same for all European Union countries, including the U.K.

Yes, but when my Mosaic Select came through yesterday, Mosaic had declared a value of $15 (3x$5). So, no customs dues. I think that's the first time they've done that. For foreign customers, it's probably better than cut price post & packing :)

MG

Time to buy the Mosaics now before the pound drops against the dollar again after Xmas (or so I hear).

We've never had it so good, really. :excited:

I'll go halves for a condo next to Mosaic HQ..

OK Bob, you got the better of me! The Django Reinhardt will be on its way to Bristle!!! :excited:

Nearly went for the Sonny Stitt but this one will have to wait a wee bit.

Edited by ASNL77

Nice one ! I really should get hold of that Django (I have a 'partial' of it and it sounds nice). The Stitt is recommended too.

Lou Donaldson beckons for me, I think. :excited:

I have most of the Donaldson music on King reissues and I am very likely to give that one a miss but the Stitt has been on my waiting list for too long.

Edited by ASNL77

I purchased the Basie and Gerald Wilson sets on Friday, they should arrive Tuesday. I carefully checked my bank account on Sunday night, the last day for free shipping, and found I could squeeze in the Oliver Nelson set. Not a bad haul...