Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All Stars

Tom 1960

I've seen these guys mentioned in numerous threads relating to west coast jazz. An area in my collection where I'm seriously underweighted. I think it's time I got with the game and purchased a title or two? I had the opportunity to sample the tracks from the below album(Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars Vol. 3) and right now, I'm leaning towards purchasing this recording. OJCCD-266-2.jpgGo ahead and offer thoughts on this release and others in there catalogue. From what I've been hearing, they put out some choice stuff.

I have In The Solo Spotlight, Vol. 6, Music For Lighthousekeeping and Jazz Invention, the latter a 1986 reunion of the Lighthouse All Stars. These are fine West Coast jazz recordings with top notch performances by Conte Candoli, Frank Rosolino, Bud Shank, Bob Cooper and Stan Levey.

Edited by Tommy T

I've had "Lighthouse At The Laguna" for a while - nice one, with varying line-ups. Picked up several others in my couple of Concord panic buying feasts but haven't played all of them yet... definitely lots of nice music, nothing earth-shattering, but if you enjoy folks such as Bob Cooper, Bud Shank, Bud Freeman a.o. blowing, you'll like most of the discs, I assume. Sonny Clark is on piano on one of the sets, by the way (done in 54, before he went east).

There is also a 1991 incarnation of the Lighthouse All Stars, this time on the Candid label, under the joint leadership of Shorty Rogers and Bud Shank. The title of the recording is "America The Bautiful", the other performers are: Conte Candoli, Bob Cooper, Bill Perkins (sprano-, tenor-, baritone-sax), Pete Jolly, Monty Budwig and Lawrence Marable. Rogers provided most of the selections and all arrangements. It is a nice effort and recommended to fans of West Coast Jazz.

I have most the LH All Stars albums and prefer

- In The Solo Spotlight

and

- Music For Lighthousekeeping

as well as Sunday Jazz A La Lighthouse (the one that has "Creme de Menthe" and "Viva Zapata" etc.)

too.

And just like MG said, that early "Big Boy" recording (plus the later "More B.B.") kicks some serious ass! :D

However, I am a bit underwhelmed by the "Flute/Oboe" album. It's all a bit effeminate to my taste and even if you do not take your jazz in the form of all-night horn blowing sessions only it is items like this that, when taken in overdoses, probably gave West Coast jazz its (unfoundedly) poor reputation as something just too gutless.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 1 year later...

everybody is getting those lp-->usb decks but i dont have the time nor patience or room to ever do that. my records are going to stay records, as they have been for years. i guess u can call my cell and ill play it for u over the phone, if you want maybe, i can throw it on the scanner and copy you the label, my 78s coincedently are right smack next to my computer scanner,...so random

i have big boy pts 1 & 2 on Skylark 78 rpm

Is there any legal way I can get a copy? Do you know anyone or place that will sell one?

If you cannot get a copy of the 78rpm or 10in releases on Skylark via eBay or the like, try the other reissues.

There is a late 50s compilation album on the Tampa label that reissued "Big Boy" and other former Skylark/Tampa tracks, and this compilation again has been re-reissued on another label in the 70s (with ghastly artwork). I have one of those reissue pressings; will seach for it later among my LPs to get the details.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

i have big boy pts 1 & 2 on Skylark 78 rpm

Is there any legal way I can get a copy? Do you know anyone or place that will sell one?

If you cannot get a copy of the 78rpm or 10in releases on Skylark via eBay or the like, try the other reissues.

There is a late 50s compilation album on the Tampa label that reissued "Big Boy" and other former Skylark/Tampa tracks, and this compilation again has been re-reissued on another label in the 70s (with ghastly artwork). I have one of those reissue pressings; will seach for it later among my LPs to get the details.

Thanks for any help you can do.

BTW, this Tuesday I'll be at The Lighthouse for a special event honoring Howard. He's 92 now.