YOU CALL THE TUNE, BUT YOU GOTTA NAME YOUR PRICE

You get to call the tune, but you also gotta name your price... The band chooses to "record" it in some fashion (of their choosing), and makes it available to the larger 'Big O' community somehow (download, CDR, real CD, whatever), and you pay the piper (a.k.a. the band) just as much as you offered them to record it. And the band doesn't release it until "enough" (or "all" - their choice) of the funds that were promised, are actually received. (I ain't kidding around here, some real money's got to change hands. Doesn't have to be a lot (although the more the better), but you/we gotta pay whatever it is we promise.)

Pretty simple, I think. The band alone decides what they want to record (and what they don't want to record).

if you like somebody ELSE'S idea -- you can chime in with your OWN vote for the same tune, along with YOUR price to go along with it. And if somebody else likes it too, they can vote with THEIR pocketbook too. Then, if the band chooses to record it, then EVERYONE who named that tune individually pays whatever corresponding price they each personally attached to their vote.

• Let's say I pick some crazy Andrew Hill tune (yeah, right, on organ). And I say I'll pay $75 to record it.
  • Somebody else likes the same crazy idea (same Hill tune), and then THEY'LL chip in $25 more if the band records it.
  • Then somebody else likes the same idea too - and they say they'll chip in $35 more for that same tune.
  • And somebody else too -- same tune -- and they'll put $50 (more) where their mouth is to hear it.
  • That's a total of $185 the band should get upon the completion and release of that one tune (recorded by whatever means the band chooses).

The only thing I ask is that the band somehow make these recordings available to EVERYONE here for some reasonable price. Either "free" or "cheap" downloads, or else send out a CDR with a bunch of these kinds of tunes for about $10 or $12 or so (or whatever makes sense cost-wise). (Or I guess the band could just e-mail mp3's of the tunes to only just the people who actually ponied up the cold hard cash to get them recorded. But then where'd the fun be in that??)

I haven't run this idea past anybody in the band, so I have no idea what their response will be. Jim may very well accept or reject this idea (in total) for any reason, or change the parameters of the process however he and the band likes. I just wanna get our favorite organ trio some scratch, and I also wanna hear what this board wants to hear, but we have to want to hear it SO BAD that we'll step up and pay for it.

Again, the band can accept or reject ANY tune, for ANY reason, and the "highest bidders" are NOT in any way guaranteed to ever get recorded.

Let's see how fast this board can 1) line the pockets of our fabulous musician hosts, and 2) get them to whore-out for us like never before. :g

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My first votes will go to one tune each by Larry Young (something off of "Mothership"!! :cool: ), John Patton, and probably Tyrone Washington.

Haven't decided on the specific tunes yet, but I'll be offering at least $50 make that $75 for each one of them.

Oh, and can you play "Take 5" in 7?? ;)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have heard Take 5 in 4/4, but it was just for novelty's sake.

The only problem I see is if you have a great idea, like a Baby Face Willette tribute album, and they do all those songs, you will be out some serious scratch. But overall, it sounds like a good idea, and I can see ponying up for a couple of songs.

don't have much money at the moment, but I could get cash out of my wallet for any of the following...

Sister Ray (and extra cash if Jim sings it)

Oscar Peterson's arrangement of I Feel Pretty

Mr. Pastorius

Black Market

In 3's (Beastie Boys instrumental -- would love to see what a REAL organ group could do with it)

Sister Cheryl

I have heard Take 5 in 4/4, but it was just for novelty's sake.

The only problem I see is if you have a great idea, like a Baby Face Willette tribute album, and they do all those songs, you will be out some serious scratch. But overall, it sounds like a good idea, and I can see ponying up for a couple of songs.

Tito Puente recorded it in 4/4, played the hell out of it!

Anyhow....:)

And are there tunes we would pay the band NOT to play?

I can't resist...

Spaulding: What do you fellas get an hour?

Ravelli: For playing, we get-a ten dollars an hour.

Spaulding: I see. What do you get for not playing?

Ravelli: Twelve dollars an hour.

Spaulding: Well, clip me off a piece of that.

Ravelli: Now for rehearsing, we make special rate. That's-a fifteen dollars an hour...That's-a for rehearsing.

Spaulding: And what do you get for not rehearsing?

Ravelli: You couldn't afford it. You see, if we don't rehearse, we a-don't play, and if we don't play (he snaps his finger) - that runs into money.

Spaulding: How much would you want to run into an open manhole?

Ravelli: Just-a the cover charge! Ha, ha, ha.

Spaulding: Well, drop in some time.

Ravelli: Sewer.

Spaulding: Well, we cleaned that up pretty well.

Ravelli: Well, let's see how-a we stand.

Spaulding: Flat-footed.

Ravelli: Yesterday, we didn't come. (To Mrs. Rittenhouse) You remember, yesterday we didn't come?

Spaulding: Oh, I remember.

Ravelli: Yes, that's three hundred dollars.

Spaulding: Yesterday, you didn't come, that's three hundred dollars?

Ravelli: Yes, three hundred dollars.

Spaulding: Well, that's reasonable. I can see that alright.

Ravelli: Now today, we did come. That's-a (pause)..

Spaulding: That's a hundred you owe us.

Ravelli: Hey, I bet I'm gonna lose on the deal. Tomorrow we leave. That's worth about (pause)..

Spaulding: A million dollars.

ANIMALCR.jpg