Strange things that happen while sleeping...

The strangest thing I experienced during sleep happened to me in the night of April 13, 1992.

I was studying in Brussels that year but staying at my parents' for the weekend. I was quite down because of a miserable love affair, and I could not sleep. Some time before, I had read Goethe's "Faust", the classic german drama about the scholar who selling his soul to the devil. As I was half dozing, I fantasized about what I would request from the devil if he was proposing me the deal.

Shortly afterwards, my bed started to shake violently, as if someone tried to wake me up brutally. As it was completely dark in my room I couldn't see anything. I don't believe in supernatural stuff, but at that moment, the only explanation for me was that the devil himself had come to speak to me. :alien: I was scared to death and competely froze.

The shaking stopped after a minute, and a few minutes later I took the risk of switching on the lights. Everything looked normal. But I was certain that I had not dreamt, because it had felt so real. I went to my parent's room and woke them up, but they hadn't noticed anything.

I returned to my room and switched on the radio. In the 2 AM news they announced that there had been an earthquake in the region. Earthquakes are extremely rare here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roermond#The_...mond_earthquake

During my senior year of college, I had a job transcribing recorded telephone surveys.

As I was dreaming one morning, I leaned over and punched the wall with my left hand. It was really painful, and my hand had bruises all over it. When I called my manager to tell him that I wouldn't be able to work for a day or two due to the hand situation, I could tell he thought I was full of crap. Seeing the hand certainly changed his mind, though.

I think the punching thing runs the in the family. My mother told me that my father has punched her in the eye before in his sleep. And now that I think about it, I've kicked my wife pretty hard a couple of times in my sleep as well.

I had a dream the other night that I was in a run-down, closed psychologist's office. The psychologist had been murdered and the place closed down. I don't remember all the details, but over the course of looking around the office I discovered that the psychologist's name was Bev Stapleton, and that I had killed him. :blink:

Anyone heard from Bev lately?

He post's on AAJ.

I guess he really is dead then.

One funny thing I still love to tell people about: I was 15 or 16 (about 1985 or 1986) sleeping over my friends house and he always had the tv on to fall asleep. I fell asleep and apparetntly sit upright, Looked at him and said: "Is David Lee Roth still in Van Halen?" He said no and I laid back down. I guess a minute or two later I actually woke up and he's looking at me grinning. He said, "Do you know what you just did?" I was completely asleep. The question I asked just makes me laugh every time I tell it.

One funny thing I still love to tell people about: I was 15 or 16 (about 1985 or 1986) sleeping over my friends house and he always had the tv on to fall asleep. I fell asleep and apparetntly sit upright, Looked at him and said: "Is David Lee Roth still in Van Halen?" He said no and I laid back down. I guess a minute or two later I actually woke up and he's looking at me grinning. He said, "Do you know what you just did?" I was completely asleep. The question I asked just makes me laugh every time I tell it.

One year in the dorm, my roommate was someone who could carry on a conversation while completely asleep. Fortunately, he was somewhat suggestible and if I said "OK, time to sleep now, Jerry" he'd say "OK" and shut up. And in the morning he'd have absolutely no memory of it at all.

.. In the 2 AM news they announced that there had been an earthquake in the region. Earthquakes are extremely rare here.

I experienced that kind of thing in a Mainz suburb in the early 1980's. I was asleep at my girlfriend's side when we both woke up from something shaking the floor and the matresses below us. She murmured something like "what is this?" and I figured it could have been a heavy truck passing the house, but as it was in the middle of the night and trucks never passed through this small street I figured it was an earthquake and told her so. She stood up in the bed and shouted "what? an earthquake!!! You sure?" I said "Yes" and turned around to get some more sleep - it was over, anyway, and the house seemed undamaged, and there was nothing I could do. She stayed awake until morning, and the radio news confirmed a rare earthquake in the Rhine Valley near Wiesbaden - we were about five miles from the epicentre.