Al Green on Blue Note

Ed S

The full article on jazz vocalists is posted in the Jazz in Print forum. Here's the quote regarding Al Green:

Among Lundvall's most recent signings are veteran vocalists Van Morrison and Al Green. Morrison's first Blue Note CD, the blues- and jazz-infused "What's Wrong With This Picture?," will be released Oct. 21. Green's label debut, "I Can't Stop," is due Nov. 18.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know you guys were serious!  I love Al Green and I'll give this recording the benefit of the doubt, but it is kind of weird that he's on Blue Note, is it not?

Wierd? He's not a jazz musician so why wouldn't he be on Blue Note?

I hear Cher is on the short list for the next signing.

:blink:

At least they (Van and Al) are NOT doing a 'standards' CD. That would be horrendous. At least the material is their material, you know what I mean?

I think both of them have far more musicianship than Cher. It's weird... but it might not be a bad thing.

Then again, why hasn't BN signed Organissimo yet?! :) Do they have any organists on the roster besides my man from Soulive (who ain't kickin' pedals so strike one... sorry Neal)?

:g

Guest ariceffron

blue note is doing the opposite of what they tried 7 years ago and shit- remember the "new directions band' and all that shit- well no one cared so now they are doing the opposite- signing van and al green and shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked out those samples. Sounds good to me, not as consistently startling as the classic Hi sides, but to expect that is totally unrealistic. I'll be buying.

Will somebody back me up that Willie Mitchell is one of the most subtle, sophisticated, quirky (those changes!), elegant, and HIP producers/songwriters in the history of American (or even Global!) popular music?