CONTEST: 2007 Grey Cup game

The Grey Cup game will be played this Sunday Nov. 25. The Grey Cup is the world championship of what I think is the greatest game in the world, Canadian rules football. The game has been played since 1909.

The Eastern champion is the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The Western champion is the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Both teams finished second in the final standings and won their divisions' championship game on the 18th.

Saskatchewan is led by quarterback Kerry Joseph, who was named the Western Most Outstanding Player. Winnipeg was led by its quarterback Kevin Glenn, who was named the Eastern Most Outstanding Player. Unfortunately for the Bombers, Glenn broke his arm in the Division Final Sunday, and the Bombers will have to rely upon his backup Ryan Dinwiddie, who has rarely played in his (I think) two years as a pro.

Here are the rules for the Grey Cup contest:

Pick the winning team; and for the tiebreaker pick the total number of points scored.

The winning tiebreaker will be the closest number to the total score.

Your tiebreaker total points pick must be an EVEN number.

If more than one person makes the same picks, the first to post wins.

If two people are tied with the closest tiebreaker, the winner will be the lower of the two numbers.

You may change your pick up to the deadline, but your posting time will be changed to the edit time.

The deadline to play is Sunday Nov. 25, 5:30 pm eastern. That's the scheduled time of the kickoff.

The prize will be a US$20.00 Mosaic Records gift certificate. Mosaic will mail it to anywhere in the world, so everyone here ought to be interested in winning it.

If I have further comments to make, I will make them here on post #1. So check back here to see if I have added anything in answer to your questions.

If you want to study up on what has happened over the course of the season, here is the thread about it: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=34428&hl=

Good luck everyone!

Here's another rule: Only one entry per person. (I'm not sure which of you wiseacres would try to play twice, picking both teams, but I figure if I don't say something now...!)

Noj wonders in post #4 if he can watch the game on TV. It will be broadcast to about 75 million US households on various cable channels. I think NESN, Fox Sports World and Comcast will be among them.

You can see the game pay per view for $12.95 if you have broadband at http://www.cfl.ca Click on the CFL on CBC link.

You can listen to the game for free on the internet. Post #25 of the CFL thread linked to above lists the websites of the radio stations of the teams. I expect that nearly all of them will carry the Grey Cup game.

Sirius will carry the game on ch. 130.

Edited by GARussell

I did a little research. The two teams split their regular season games:

Sask. 31, Winnipeg 26

Winnipeg 34, Sask. 15

Saskatchewan didn't score a lot of points early in the season but seemed to have the offense going in the last half of the season. Judging from their record, Winnipeg seemed to be hot and cold. With the starting QB hurt, I'm thinking things will get really cold:

Saskatchewan, 36 points.

Edited by papsrus

I'm here only because of that Mosaic gift card.

I know nothing about that Grey Cup :blink:

All I know is that I stopped once in Winnipeg and was not very impressed by what I managed to see in a very short time.

I can still dream about Saskatchewan!

So Roughriders 42 points!

Winnipeg is a running gag for people living in bigger cities in Canada. When i think of that city, i think of the portrait of the Queen Elizabeth that hung over the rink at the old Winnipeg Arena.

BTW; you should see the Guy Maddin documentary My Winnipeg, great stuff from a very underrated filmmaker.

Here's part of an article I found today about Ryan Dinwiddie. Maybe this will encourage some people to pick the Bombers!

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...tsFootball/home

Dinwiddie got into nine games in 2006 and three games this season. His total stats, including Sunday's win, are 32-of-52 for 362 yards, one TD and three interceptions.

As a three-year starter at Boise State, Dinwiddie set school records for passing yards, passing efficiency and TDs. His career QB-efficiency rating of 168.9 (2001-03) is the highest in NCAA history.

Here's an article that says that the Roughriders are 11.5 point favorites.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Gre...670830-sun.html

I can't say for sure, but I have to think that this is the biggest point spread since 1986. In that game, the Edmonton Eskimos were expected to clobber the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, but instead Hamilton clobbered Edmonton.