Netflix.com

Dan Gould

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly do not understand the complaints about the streaming choices on Netflix.

It could very well be that (at least for me)it's the layout of the site rather than the selection. If I go there looking for something specific, okay, but if I go there just 'looking for something to watch', I rarely find something I want to see. I wish there was an easier way to browse the selection that does exist.

I don't believe that DVDs will disappear unless the companies pull the plug like they did with LPs in 1988. I think the situation is comparable to eBooks. I expect that there will always be a demand for print books.

I wish I could agree, but I don't. People who grow up with eBooks won't have the love of print that us old codgers do. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see the novel as a form disappear eventually. Each technological advance seems to shorten attention spans dramatically.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently switched to the streaming version of Netflix and have to say it's pretty underwhelming. Most recent films are available on DVD only.

This is certainly my impression. You try to have a discussion with someone about the underwhelming selection of streaming content on Netflix, and they get all defensive -- but look at the huge number of TV shows and 80s movies you can watch. Weird.

Since most people are mostly interested in recent films and whether they can stream them, it seems perfectly legit to point out that Netflix isn't doing that well in this area, and my impression is that they will probably be even worse after their current contracts expire.

I recently switched to the streaming version of Netflix and have to say it's pretty underwhelming. Most recent films are available on DVD only.

This is certainly my impression. You try to have a discussion with someone about the underwhelming selection of streaming content on Netflix, and they get all defensive -- but look at the huge number of TV shows and 80s movies you can watch. Weird.

Since most people are mostly interested in recent films and whether they can stream them, it seems perfectly legit to point out that Netflix isn't doing that well in this area, and my impression is that they will probably be even worse after their current contracts expire.

Since I'm an Amazon Prime member I have access to their streaming service but unfortunately it's not compatible with my PS3 the way Netflix and Hulu+ are (and I really don't want to buy one of those Roku boxes). Having both Netflix and Hulu+ seems to be more than a little redundant and I might let one of them go- I'm waiting to see if Netflix gets their act together, but I'm not holding my breath. The movie selection on Hulu+ is REALLY odd- seems like a bunch of straight-to-video titles that I've never heard of. So far I'm less than impressed with both services- IMO they are not nearly has happening as people let on.

I know. Most of the movies I've looked up have been "DVD only." Not bad for a dying medium.

Are you saying DVD's are dying because of Blu-Ray discs or is it due to other means of access, e.g., streaming, or a combo of the two? I've noticed lots of discount DVDs, quite a few of which I've copped, because I prefer tangible access, e.g., disc, notes, cover art, extra features only available on a 2nd disc, etc. Visual fidelity is excellent, a feature of which I suspect there exists the proverbial law of diminishing returns on the significantly pricier Blu-Ray editions.

I know. Most of the movies I've looked up have been "DVD only." Not bad for a dying medium.

Are you saying DVD's are dying because of Blu-Ray discs or is it due to other means of access, e.g., streaming, or a combo of the two? I've noticed lots of discount DVDs, quite a few of which I've copped, because I prefer tangible access, e.g., disc, notes, cover art, extra features only available on a 2nd disc, etc. Visual fidelity is excellent, a feature of which I suspect there exists the proverbial law of diminishing returns on the significantly pricier Blu-Ray editions.

I know people who have switched have been really impressed by Blu-Ray. I'm not convinced it is worth it to me, esp. given the quality of my TV and player. I think most exec. are thinking that streaming is the way of the future, though it seems the fidelity is so spotty. On the other hand, MP3 downloads (legal or mostly not) have more or less crushed CD sales, and they probably assume DVDs are headed the same way.