LOCKJAW

Chuck Nessa

I'm pretty sure that one is a re-packaged Storyville title that I got a couple of years ago. Very fine, mostly standards and ballads, the sound was exceptional, too. I actually transferred the audio part to CDR. :tup

Actually, including the one Jim is curious about, there are three Lockjaw DVDs available on the CD Universe site. As all were recorded in Copenhagen, I suspect that there is much duplication (as well as "triplication") among the three. CD Universe provides discographical data on only one of the titles. Can anyone point to which one is the best, i.e., the most "complete" to get? The three on the site are:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...amp;style=movie

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6070908

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...amp;style=movie

Marty,

The first link is the DVD that I have. Second link has the same setlist as the first. No idea about the third.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually do the majority of my reading in the bathroom, in fact I'm thinking about putting a bookshelf in there right beside the throne.

QUOTE (Larry Kart @ Dec 12 2007, 10:53 AM)

Thanks. Writing a book that is best read in the bathroom was always my goal.

Shiterature, I've heard that called.

Thinking about this thread again, about Larry Kart's jazz book being read in the bathroom, and the idea for bookshelves in the bathroom, made me think up a new marketing idea for Larry's book. Larry, if your publisher is not bringing ideas like this to you, what do you have them for?

Here is the idea: a rolling set of bookshelves, on wheels, to be wheeled into the bathroom for your special reading times, with the added feature that the shelves expand and contract to fit your bathroom space across from the "Throne".

The shelves would come with an autographed copy of Larry's book, on the top shelf as you take the shelves out of the box! So Larry's book would be right there, convenient for reading the first time that you wheeled the shelves into your private kingdom. Considering the laziness of the majority of the population, it is very likely that no other book would ever be placed on the shelves. So Larry's book would be the daily bathroom reading of choice for an entire world. In addition to sales of Larry's book skyrocketing, the global knowledge of jazz would exponentially increase.

What to call it? Something that would grab the attention of today's attention span deficit buyer, a short, punchy name. Playing off on the movable feature of the product, and the fact that one is literally "going" as one reads Larry's book, it should start with the word "Go".

Combining that first word "Go", with an obvious second word, the entire package could be called........

the GO-KART.

I hope that name isn't already taken. Those obsessive patent examiners can be real sticklers for detail.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Oh geez guys, think BIG, think big, think humanitarian, think Nobel Prize, think TAX BREAK.

The book is so compelling that it could take a junkie's mind off the need for a fix. So market it as rehab and call it Putting The Kart Before The Horse.

Do it now and pay me later, ok?

This thread caused me to beef up my Lockjaw section. A nice package from Newbury arrived today, fast as always.

However.........

One of the CDs (Jaws in Orbit!) had a cut-out hole in the jewel case that I could immediately tell went clear through to the disc. :(

So I emailed Newbury, I guess I'll see how their customer service is. I'm expecting that it will be good.

(also got Afro-Jaws, Bacalao, Cookbook Vol. 2 and Tenor Giants (W/Zoot)..so I ain't complainin')

This thread caused me to beef up my Lockjaw section. A nice package from Newbury arrived today, fast as always.

However.........

One of the CDs (Jaws in Orbit!) had a cut-out hole in the jewel case that I could immediately tell went clear through to the disc. :(

So I emailed Newbury, I guess I'll see how their customer service is. I'm expecting that it will be good.

(also got Afro-Jaws, Bacalao, Cookbook Vol. 2 and Tenor Giants (W/Zoot)..so I ain't complainin')

I only got "Afro-Jaws" myself about a week ago and have only listened to it once, so far. But it immediately struck me as an amazing album I wish I'd been listening to for forty years!

MG

However.........

I only got "Afro-Jaws" myself about a week ago and have only listened to it once, so far. But it immediately struck me as an amazing album I wish I'd been listening to for forty years!

MG

The trumpet "duel" on the title track is SMOKIN'!

Checked out Sax No End last night, & Jaws on the title cut is indeed a god.

Something else, for all his very real "eccentricity", the man could blend in w/any section or front line. All them sides w/Griff, I think that Lock's playing lead on most all the heads, and you got two extremely distinct tonal personalities at play, so the potential for exponential tonal eccentricity on the ensembles is exponentially accelerated. Yet the blend between the two, although indeed throughly distinctive, is also perfect, with there being three sounds audible - Jaws, Griff, & the sound of the two blended as one. To me, that's the name fo the game for that.

These cats were some serious motherfuckers, cats like Jaws & Griff. They came up playing hard because you had to just to get by, literally. So the bar was as high as its ever been and deep peoples like this knew all kinds of tricks and subtleties about the instrument, ways to play it better and more uniquely than the competition.

I listen to Jaws blowing in front of a big band, over the changes to "Chinatown", with unambiguously absolute, unshakeable, confidence and command over every aspect of his expression, and I hear a man who has not just invented himself, but who has also for all intents & purposes invented his instrument, the way to play it, the sound it makes, pretty much everythng about this world of sound which he inhabits, he invented, or else severely bent to meet his own wants and needs.

If that ain't a god, then hell, what is?

And his playing behind vocalists was sensational; I think he was one of the greats at that. His fills and obligatos behind Arthur Prysock on the Prysock/Basie album are all gems. And his work behind Mildred Anderson on "Person to person" is every bit as wonderful. (He also played behind Al Smith on Bluesville and, though one can't complain about Jaws, Smith ain't really up to much in my view.

How hard is it to play something unique and personal behind a singer and at the same time not detract from what the singer's doing? A different kind of thing from making your solo, but valuable.

I'd like to get some more stuff of Jaws playing behind vocalists - anyone got some recommendations?

MG

A few days ago, after hearing a recording Lockjaw playing with Basie, I broke out my three Jaws recordings, and I realized I needed a bunch more. It was cool to read this thread and get reviews of what is out there.

I remember back in the day, (1980?) you could go to the Jazz Showcase in Chicago and get in for $10 with a student ID. I sat through through three sets of Jaws and Johnny Griffin (with a very young Kenny Washington on drums) twice in one week.

However.........

Got a phone call today! They didn't have another copy available, so they're going to send me a mailing label and I guess I'm going to send back the defective copy and get a refund. Hardly worth the postage on their end, but whatever. I did find a copy from another (but less trusted) vendor.

So newbury gets the expected points for customer service (even though it took two emails on my end, their phone response made up for it).

In the meantime I put in an Oscar Peterson order with 'em, so all is good. :)

Durham's on Jaws' Straight Ahead, a Pablo side. He also played for a long time in the trio of...the guy that FFA just ordered some CDs by (mentioned above, and thus the tie-in). His time's good, but he's got this annoying (for me) habit of doing the stick-on-the-rim-on-2-and-4 waaaaay more often than is legal in even the most liberal regimes.

He's got family in Dallas, I think, and I saw him sit in at the Recovery Room w/Marchel back in the day. He went into that stick/rim thing, and everybody just kinda looked at him like..."uh, dude"", and he just kept on doing it. I've since heard him do it -and to the same extent - on dman near every record that he's on, and....#$&#$&#&$#&%&#%&#&$#&$&#!!!!!

But make no mistake, he is a true gentleman and a great contributor to this music that we all love so deeply. ;)

Durham's on Jaws' Straight Ahead, a Pablo side. He also played for a long time in the trio of...the guy that FFA just ordered some CDs by (mentioned above, and thus the tie-in). His time's good, but he's got this annoying (for me) habit of doing the stick-on-the-rim-on-2-and-4 waaaaay more often than is legal in even the most liberal regimes.

He's got family in Dallas, I think, and I saw him sit in at the Recovery Room w/Marchel back in the day. He went into that stick/rim thing, and everybody just kinda looked at him like..."uh, dude"", and he just kept on doing it. I've since heard him do it -and to the same extent - on dman near every record that he's on, and....#$&#$&#&$#&%&#%&#&$#&$&#!!!!!

But make no mistake, he is a true gentleman and a great contributor to this music that we all love so deeply. ;)

I see.

Well, I couldn't resist grabbing the first album I know without looking that Bobby Durham's on - Charles Earland's "Smokin'" - he's on two tracks - and giving it a spin. No rimshots! Not one! :D

MG

c89299i2134.jpg

Lock plays some beautiful stuff on here.

Back in the early 60's my mother joined the Columbia Record Club so she could get her jazz lps at an affordable discount. When this album was first posted in the record catalogue my mom was very excited and had to have it! She loved Carmen McRae! I know every tune and every solo on this record and still in fact have the lp that my mom purchased and wore out on a 1959 Webcor stereo you could stack records on and with hinged speakers that could be detached..

Lockjaw was one of a kind and was also a good friend of my dad's.. When Jaws was around Vegas (where he lived in the later years of his life) there was a tenor book called the 'Tenor Bag' arranged for 4 tenors and they (the tenors) would book a session at one of the lounges that still had jazz.

And his playing behind vocalists was sensational; I think he was one of the greats at that. His fills and obligatos behind Arthur Prysock on the Prysock/Basie album are all gems. And his work behind Mildred Anderson on "Person to person" is every bit as wonderful. (He also played behind Al Smith on Bluesville and, though one can't complain about Jaws, Smith ain't really up to much in my view.

How hard is it to play something unique and personal behind a singer and at the same time not detract from what the singer's doing? A different kind of thing from making your solo, but valuable.

I'd like to get some more stuff of Jaws playing behind vocalists - anyone got some recommendations?

MG

Hey MG,

Dunno if you have Al Smith's album on Bluesville titled "Hear My Blues" Jaws isn't featured heavily but he does play some nasty stuff on it, Shirley Scott as well. And Al Smith sounds great too!

d373714bm47.jpg