Frank Rosolino's "I Play Trombone"

Larry Kart

Semi-forgetten by me at least, but tonight I played it again and was delighted. It's from 1956, recorded for Bethelem (and a very nice airy recording job too -- I have it on a Affinity LP reissue from the '80s , can't vouch for the sound quality of the current Lonehill packaging of this date). Rosolino is matched with bassist Wilfred Middlebrooks, Sonny Clark and Stan Levey -- all but Middlebrooks then members of the Lighthouse All-Stars. The leader is in very mellow form and makes it clear that his vaunted agility is firmly linked to a distinctive, boppish harmonic adventurousness (it would have been nice to have heard Rosolino react on the stand or in the studio to Charlie Parker and vice versa -- I imagine each of them cracking up the other). This is some of the best Sonny Clark there is, at the level of his playing on "Cool Struttin,'" and he, Levey, and Middlebrooks are really locked in. Too bad Levey would leave music behind in a few years; he had lovely hands -- such a relaxed, linear feel. An unmistakeable player, though he needed to be recorded just right. On some (but not all) of the things he did for Norman Granz in the next year or two, Levey sounds kind of tight/choked off, but I think that's because he wasn't miked properly -- I think he either used a smallish ride cymbal and/or played fairly close to its crown, a set-up that needed some extra room to vibrate. Whatever, he sounds fine here.

Good to see even "elder statesmen" of this forum settled on the Affinity reissue (like I had to) with its nondescript packaging with this one, and I envy those who were able to obtain/afford the exact replica reissue LP. ;)

I like this recording a lot too, though I would not really know if I were to rate it higher than his "Free Fro All" on Specialty.

Good to see even "elder statesmen" of this forum settled on the Affinity reissue (like I had to) with its nondescript packaging with this one, and I envy those who were able to obtain/afford the exact replica reissue LP. ;)

I like this recording a lot too, though I would not really know if I were to rate it higher than his "Free Fro All" on Specialty.

I like "Free For All" too, for its warmth, zest, snd the pairing with Land but have two quibbles -- the stereo spread is so darn wide as to be unnatural, and at times Victor Feldman's comping is aggressive to the point of being obtrusive. Speaking of comping, on the recent Clark Terry thread I mentioned his first album as a leader, "Swahili" (EmArcy) from 1955, and said that I recalled that the rhythm section (Silver, Pettiford, and Blakey) was in exceptional form. Listened last night, and it is -- Horace's comping is so "in there" that at times you almost have to laugh. That comes to mind because I believe Feldman on "Free For All" was trying to be very Horace-like and kind of not getting it -- and I'm usually very fond of Feldman's work, especially in "Young Frankenstein."