Groove Holmes "After Hours"

Soul Stream

After Hours is out of print - BUT Walmart lists it on their site. I frequently check them for out of print stuff.

Somethin' Special is oop in the US and I missed it.

I always check 'em out for great savings....you can really save a bundle on some titles.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_lis...4%3A4112%3A5055

:g

The grin is because I love this tune.  And Organissimo is even working on adding it to their repertoire upon my request.

Connaisseur, the grin was worth it.

Excellent idea to push the song into the Organissimo band's repertoire!

Will be looking for their interpretation :D

They did a great job on it, Brownie. Saw them last night in Ann Arbor.

Joe came out with a long guitar solo which was nice. Martino's role was comparatively modest on the Groove HOlmes disc.

It's a Teddy Edwards tune, but I always thought the sax got in the way of the pretty organ groove. It was really nice to hear it played without a sax. Sorry Teddy. It is your song! ^_^

And what a song! It's playing in my head right now. As I told Paul at the gig, the form of that tune is very unusual, and it took me about 10 listens before it started to make sense to me. Now I think it just might end up on the Tribute disc.

I must have played "Lee-Ann" about a hundred times today. :g

You guys have to add it to the Tribute cd.

Found a Jimmy Witherspoon CD for a good price in some sale bin today which has some tracks with Grooves backing him:

Witherspoon-voc; Teddy Edwards-ts; Paul Moer-p; Groove-org; Herman Mitchell-g; Jimmy Bond-b; Frank Butler-d. Rec. LA, 1963.

In Blues

Looser's Blues

Please Send Me Someone To Love

Life's Highway

Cry The Blues

Out Blues

The CD is on WestWind (WW 2138) and has ten tracks of Spoon with the Mulligan quartet (Rowles, Vinnegar, Mel Lewis) and Ben Webster, which are pretty good, too. Recorded Hollywood, Ben Shapiro's Renaissance Club, 1959.

Anyone knows this disc?

ubu

A worthwile add-on to this serie would be the Acid Jazz CD "Spicy".

Actually a compilation of 2Lp sessions, Living Soul and Spicy, this is the first part of the Basie's Bandstand cd released a few months ago.

As for the session with the Gerald Wilson Orchestra, I felt it good enough to buy the whole Mosaic set, probably one of the very best Groove performances ever.

By the way, the track Blues for Yna Yna with Gerald finds a very nice trio treatment in Living Soul :wub:

To everyone who mentioned Joe Pass: a resounding yeah! He played his ass off on that date, and generally in the Pacific Jazz days. Wonderful, joyful feeling, so clean, every note a pearl---and that control and time feel! Getting out of Synanon and burning with energy to play may have had something to do with it. He's an inspiration to all us white boy guitarists!

Not to slight Groove and the group. They sound great and do the blues, swing, and ballads proud. I used to practice to this CD. Maybe I'll break it out again.

Happy listening.

Joel

To everyone who mentioned Joe Pass: a resounding yeah! He played his ass off on that date, and generally in the Pacific Jazz days. Wonderful, joyful feeling, so clean, every note a pearl---and that control and time feel! Getting out of Synanon and burning with energy to play may have had something to do with it. He's an inspiration to all us white boy guitarists!

Not to slight Groove and the group. They sound great and do the blues, swing, and ballads proud. I used to practice to this CD. Maybe I'll break it out again.

Happy listening.

Joel

How does his playing on this date compare to the Pacific dates collected in the Pass Mosaic?

ubu

Not sure how it compares, Ubu. Don't have it and can't comment. I only know that he was pretty incredible in the early 60s----different than the player he became later (though that was great, too---all of it). Sounds of Synanon----that's some beautiful, happy, non-cerebral, un-premeditated, swinging playing. Catch Me is great, too, as is the live date with Mike Wofford, Joyspring. Ditto the stuff with Gerald Wilson and his own date, For Django.

For anyone interested, there's also a video (probably DVD now, too) called '"The Genius of Joe Pass", where some nice solo and duo playing with NHOP is preceded by an old TV show from the Synanon period. I think the piano player was Arnold Ross, based on what I read in Art Pepper's Straight Life----but I could be way wrong. Also, could be Albert Stinson, a West Coast bass player who died very young. There's not enough of him on recording, but a solo he played on the video made me think maybe it's him. (No credits given---big drag. I hate shoddy research). Anyway, Synanon guys, and baby-faced yet already bald Pass plays his ass off on The Song is You and Sonnymoon for Two.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...