AotM - January 2008: Jimmy Heath THE QUOTA and TRIPLE THREAT

Big Al

But the rarest Jimmy Heath appearance on Riverside is:

- A Jazz Version of Kean -: The Riverside Jazz Stars: Clark Terry -1 (fluegelhorn, trumpet) Ernie Royal -2 (trumpet) Blue Mitchell (trumpet) Melba Liston (trombone -1, arranger/conductor -2) Julius Watkins (french horn) George Dorsey (alto saxophone) Jimmy Heath (tenor saxophone, arranger -4) Arthur Clarke (baritone saxophone) Bobby Timmons (piano) Ron Carter (bass) Albert Heath (drums) Ernie Wilkins (arranger -3, conductor -1)

New York City, October 31 & November 1, 1961

Chime in! -1,3

Elena -1,4

The Fog and and the Grog -1,3

Inevitable -1,3

The Look Upon My Love -1,4

Sweet Danger -1,4

Penny Plain -2

Willow Willow Willow -2

All tracks on Riverside RLP (9)397

This was never reissued, not even on LP, not even in Japan!

WTF is "Kean"?

Kean was a musical that had a short run on Broadway in 1961.

I guess labels were really out-of-control "trend hungry" to get a potetntila "jazz version of..." hit and were looking for any show that might take off, even before it did (or didn't!). Duke's All American seems of the same ilk.

That's an intriguing group on that Kean side. Wonder whose book/tunes the show's was, & if the songs themself were any good?

Mike, keep us posted!

I am a big fan of all the Jimmy Heath albums on Riverside. However, my favorite Jimmy Heath recording is the quartet date he did on Xanadu. It was re-issued on CD on the Prevue label with the title PICTURE OF HEATH.

Heath plays tenor throughout with the great rhythm section of Barry Harris, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins.

The quartet plays 5 tunes written by Heath plus one standard as follows.

For Minors Only, Body And Soul, Picture Of Heath, Bruh' Slim, All Members, CTA.

I am a big fan of all the Jimmy Heath albums on Riverside. However, my favorite Jimmy Heath recording is the quartet date he did on Xanadu. It was re-issued on CD on the Prevue label with the title PICTURE OF HEATH.

Heath plays tenor throughout with the great rhythm section of Barry Harris, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins.

The quartet plays 5 tunes written by Heath plus one standard as follows.

For Minors Only, Body And Soul, Picture Of Heath, Bruh' Slim, All Members, CTA.

Looks very tasty! Unfortunately, amazon uk wants £26.85 for a used copy!

Looks tasty Bill but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the earlier Riversides. If I remember it sounded rather too casual for my taste - but it a long time since owned it. Found the same applied to most of the 'silver' Xanadus.

Thanks for the tip, John. £26.85 is a lotta money!

Looks tasty Bill but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the earlier Riversides. If I remember it sounded rather too casual for my taste - but it a long time since owned it. Found the same applied to most of the 'silver' Xanadus.

I only had a sample track on some Xanadu anthology, but these were my thoughts exactly!

I only had a sample track on some Xanadu anthology, but these were my thoughts exactly!

Looks like the majority verdict is "Don't buy"!

Mike, keep us posted!

Got an e-mail yesterday from the GEMM seller that had offered "A Jazz Version of Kean" that it was no longer available ... :(

The search goes on ...

Got "On the Trail" yesterday - very nice album, good blowing date on which I enjoy Heath's soloing much more than usual - but the stereo mix is odd, with tenor, piano, and most of the drums on the extreme left, rest of the drums in the middle, and bass and guitar on the right - what did Ray Fowler think? I hate the piano scrambled together on one side like it is on many Riversides!

Edited by mikeweil

Got "On the Trail" yesterday - very nice album, good blowing date on which I enjoy Heath's soloing much more than usual - but the stereo mix is odd, with tenor, piano, and most of the drums on the extreme left, rest of the drums in the middle, and bass and guitar on the right - what did Ray Fowler think? I hate the piano scrambled together on one side like it is on many Riversides!

Amen. A-frickin'-men!!!