What live music did you see in 2007?

Chalupa

2007 - quick round up.

01/12 - David S. Ware Unit – (David S. Ware, tenor saxophone, Mat Maneri, violin/viola, Keith Witty, double-bass, Whit Dickey, drums)- I had a hard time getting into the music at this show. Possibly because I arrived about 10 minutes after it started. Ware looked to be uninterested in what was happening on stage most of the night.

01/19 - Organissimo - At the great staircase in The Philadelphia Museum of Art. Awesome place to see a show and the boys were great. Got to hang w/ Ron S. and Felser.

02/10 - Rova Orchestra (Bruce Ackley, soprano saxophone, Steve Adams, alto saxophone, Larry Ochs, tenor saxophone, Jon Raskin, baritone saxophone and Nels Cline, el. Guitar, Jenny Scheinman, violin, Carla Kihlstedt, violin/efx, Andrea Parkins, el. accordion/laptop electronics, Marina Rosenfeld, turntables + dub plates, Trevor Dunn, el. Bass, Andrew Cyrille, drums) - This was crazy! They did an electric version of Ascension in its entirety.

02/14 - Espers / Daniel Higgs - Great double bill. Up and coming Philly folk band(think early Fairport) and the lead singer of Lungfish who played electric banjo. The show was at the ICA in Philly in the main gallery.

03/01 - Bobby Zankel and the Wonderful Warriors of Sound - Local big band lead by Bobby Z. - long time Cecil Taylor sideman

03/26 - Instant Composers Pool (Misha Mengelberg, piano,Michael Moore, saxophone/clarinet, Ab Baars, saxophone/clarinet, Tobias Delius, tenor saxophone, Wolter Wierbos, trombone, Thomas Heberer, trumpet, Mary Oliver, violin/viola, Tristan Honsinger, cello, Ernst Glerum, bass Han Bennink, drums) - This was fun. A little loose but I think it was the first or 2nd show of their tour. Free show.

04/14 - VOLTAGE SPOOKS (keith rowe / rick reed / michael haleta) - I wanted to stand up and shout,"THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!" and walk out. Pissed that I blew off Peter Brontzmann to see this. Keith Rowe I liked but the other two guys, especially the kid w/ the lap top, were unbearable.

04/19 - Kronos Quartet - Great show. They performed an all Terry Riley program of music that he had wrote for a NASA project.

04/20 - Horns of Hathor Horns of Hathor: Pauline Oliveros, electronics/accordian Ione, voice and Roscoe Mitchell, reeds Samir Chatterjee, tabla - I had very high hopes for this show. Unfortunately, PA malfunctions and Ione wailing incessantly made it impossible to enjoy the music.

05/19 - David Torn's Prezens with David Torn, el. guitar/live sampling Tim Berne, alto saxophone Michael Formanek, bass Craig Taborn, Fender Rhodes Tom Rainey, drums - I saw Edgar Bateman at the show and got my friend who was working the door to let him in for free. I see him all over town. Never leaves the house w/out a suit and tie. Old School.

06/01 - Rudresh Mahanthappa Quartet performs "Codebook" Rudresh Mahanthappa, alto saxophone Vijay Iyer, piano François Moutin, double-bass Dan Weiss, drums + F.A.B. Trio with Billy Bang, violin Joe Fonda, double-bass Barry Altschul, drums - Rudresh was great. I can't believe he doesn't have a higher profile. Billy Bang was a no show so Joe Fonda did a 15 minute solo set followed by Barry who did a short solo set. Afterwards they did a duo improv for about 20 minutes. Amazing.

06/07 - Bobby Zankel

06/15 - Lotte Anker Trio with Lotte Anker, saxophones Craig Taborn, keyboards Gerald Cleaver, drums + Burrell/Howard Duo with Dave Burrell, piano Noah Howard, alto saxophone - First time Noah had ever played Philly. And one of the only times he seen Dave since the 60's. Not as great as it could have been - Burrell sounded a little tentative - most unlike him.

06/16 - In The Country with Morten Qvenild, piano Roger Arntzen, double-bass Pål Hausken, drums + Howard/Ali Duo with Noah Howard, alto saxophone Muhammad Ali, drums - This was pretty good. Muhammad was a little rusty at first. After the show I spoke with him and told how much I enjoyed his playing. He gave me a hug. Noah was on fire both nights though both of his shows were short - maybe 30 minutes long.

06/29 - Valentine Trio with Fred Lonberg-Holm, cello Jason Roebke, double-bass Frank Rosaly, drums + Louis Tebugo Moholo-Moholo and Marshall Allen, saxophone - Marshall and Louis Moholo. They did a great set and brought the opening act(Valentine Trio) out for an extended encore improv.

08/02 - Bobby Zankel - Saw 85 year young Butch Ballard sitting at the bar. Bought him a drink. He told me that he played w/ Fats Waller right down the street from the bar we were in. That was in 1940.

08/22 - Man Man - Local Philly indie rockers. Soon to be huge. Just signed to ANTI records. The label of Tom Waits and the new Radiohead album. Free show.

09/06 - Matthew Shipp Trio - Matthew Shipp, piano Joe Morris, double-bass Whit Dickey, drums - Eh.

09/29 - Animal Collective - The kids love these guys.

09/30 - Thurston Moore - One of the highlights of the year for me. Think Sonic Youth Unplugged.

10/02 - Boris(with Michio Kurihara) / Damon and Naomi with Michio Kurihara / Fursaxa - Michio Kurihara is an amazing guitar player. Fursaxa is another one of the stars of the local Philly "Weird Folk" scene. Great.

10/06 - Crispell / Helias / Cyrille Trio with Marilyn Crispell, piano Mark Helias, double-bass Andrew Cyrille, drums + Lytton / Wooley Duo with Paul Lytton, percussion Nate Wooley, trumpet - Loved Paul Lytton. I saw this show w/ a friend of mine, a drummer. He loved Crispell and thought Cyrille was too "over the top". I had the opposite reaction. Crispell's music/playing is just too pretty for me. Cyrille's playing/songs saved the show from being a snooze fest.

10/14 - Kidd Jordan Trio with Kidd Jordan, saxophones Joel Futterman, piano/saxophone/Indian flute Alvin Fielder, drums/percussion - Jordan definitely treads the fine line between out/in. I would like to to see him again w/ a different band.

10/22 - Burton Greene Trio with Burton Greene, piano Ed Schuller, double-bass George Schuller, drums - Burton Greene was great. I got to talk w/ him afterwards for about 20 minutes. Lovely guy. Free show.

10/25 - Damo Suzuki backed by Bardo Pond - The ex-Can lead singer backed by Philly psychedelic improvers. Apparently the first time Suzuki/Bardo Pond met was on stage. Thank God I remembered my ear plugs!

11/05 - TEST - DANIEL CARTER, alto + tenor sax/trumpet/flute/clarinet, SABIR MATEEN, alto + tenor sax/flute/clarinet, MATTHEW HEYNER, double-bass, TOM BRUNO, drums - This was insanely great. Free Show.

11/12 - Frode Haltli Quartet with Frode Haltli, accordion Darryl Harper, clarinet Nils Oekland, viola/Hardanger fiddle Maja Solveig Kjelstrup Ratkje, voice - I went to this show based solely on a cover story I read on Maja Ratkje in Wire magazine. The Quartet was great. Maja brought her 2 month old baby to the show. She would dash out between songs to check on her. Beautiful voice - I can see why the Wire people devoted a cover to her. Free.

Looks like a trifecta on Shipp. I saw the trio at Yoshi's (w/Gitin & Schwartz).

Also (in no particular order):

Dee Dee Bridgewater - SF Jazz Fest (Fall season), Herbst Theatre (Gitin/Schwartz there, too)

Abercrombie Quartet - SF Jazz Fest (Fall season), Legion of Honor (Gitin again!)

SF Jazz Collective - SF Jazz Fest (Spring season)

Renee Rosnes Trio - Village Vanguard

Joe Lovano w/Hank Jones & also his Nonet - Dizzy's Coca Cola

Andy Bey (solo) - Pearl's

Randy Weston Trio w/B. Harper - Yoshi's

The Cookers (David Weiss, Eddie Henderson, Billy Harper, Craig Handy, Cecil McBee, George Cables, Billy Hart) - Healdsberg Jazz Fest

I think that's about it....jazz-wise

Too many concerts to report from 2007. Many local groups, as well as many musicians from abroad.

Some of the Int'l concerts (excluding the numerous excellent Israeli musicians who work in New York and play in Israel from time to time):

Tel Aviv Jazz Festival (February): Organissimo, Matt Renzi, Stefano Bollani

Jerusalem Jazz Festival (June): The Cookers, Slide Hampton's 4 Bone group, Antonio Hart, Al Foster

Eilat Jazz Festival: Chris Potter's Underground, Sax Summit II (Lovano, Liebman, R.Coltrane), C.Herwig & B. Lynch - the Latin Side of Miles & Trane, Vienna Art Orchestra, Tomasz stanko

Plus: Joe Lovano & John Abercrombie; Curtis Fuller & Jim Rotondi, Marty Ehrlich, Don Byron & Uri Caine, Abraham Burton, Peter Bernstein, Kirk Lightsey

Sonny Rollins and his sextet. The band was in cracking form, particularly on the opener, "Sonny Please." I was worried Sonny's presence was going to be ceremonial, like a latter-day Lionel Hampton, as the first song began with a very long trombone solo followed by guitar. What about Sonny? After about 12 minutes, he got his solo and quickly dispelled any fears. What is it with jazz musicians who are 70+? I've seen Brubeck, Rollins, Sam Rivers and they've all put on great shows that would put most over-35 rockers to shame.

Vinny Golia/Bobby Bradford Quarter followed by the Indigo Trio: Nicole Mitchell, Harrison Bankhead, Hamid Drake. Great double bill. I was particularly impressed with each group's respective bassists (Ken Filiano was with the Golia group), neither of whom I had heard before.

Misha Mengelberg/Joe Williamson/Dylan van der Schyff: Bit of a yawner. Mengelberg spent as much time talking as playing and he never really gelled with the rhythmn section.

Arch Enemy: Had never been to a metal concert before, but this was a riot. Arch Enemy are a Swedish-based band fronted by a female German vocalists who growls better than any guy out there. There were three other acts, whose mildy-demonic names escape me.

Looking forward to seeing Ornette Coleman for the first time next month.

Saw many classical concerts.

World music --

Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra

Vieux Farka Toure

Maurice el Medioni/Roberto Rodriguez (they get a lot of play on BBC radio, not sure if NPR gives them the same props, but they are very good)

Jazz-

McCoy Tyner

Charlie Haden's Liberation Orchestra (at Chicago Jazz Fest), also the Cookers

Gunther Schuller playing Mingus's Epitaph

Rudresh Mahanthappa/Vijay Iyer

Fred Anderson/Hamid Drake

Dave Brubeck

Jason Moran doing a Tribute to Monk

Stefon Harris/Roy Haynes (double bill at CSO)

and a bunch others I've largely forgotten

I always like seeing Iyer/Mahanthappa, and they were on as usual. Tyner was much better than I expected relative to the last time I saw him. I missed Hancock at the Chicago Jazz Fest (sounds like I dodged a bullet), but Charlie Haden's group was amazing.

I forgot that I saw Camper van Beethoven playing (at a Chicago street festival!). I had a chance to see The Decemberists play in Grant Park, but it was pouring that night so I skipped it. But generally, I no longer go to pop/rock concerts. Hard enough to balance jazz and classical concerts with live theatre!

Edited by ejp626

grenoble Pep's-La Rue

grenoble Symphonie londoniennes (Haydn-102,3,4)

grenoble hell's kitchen -- Hank Pine&Lili fawn

grenoble dominique A

echirolles brahem

meylan le/fresu/youssef

seyssins sara lazarus --azulejos

grenoble pierre hentaï (bach,clavecin)

voiron brandford marsalis quartet

lyon roy hargrove quintet

eybens nelson veras quartet

grenoble romano/sclavis/texier

grenoble uri caine

grenoble shepp & le dar gwana de tanger

grenoble jan garbarek quartet

grenoble alain bashung

glasgow Randy Weston

rognes michael wollny -- makoto ozone

marciac corea/burton--imani winds -- wayne shorter quartet

marciac metheny/mehldau

marciac wynton marsalis quintet- sweet honey in the rock

roquefere ladies jazwomen -- lazarus/gypsy swing/cecarelli

marciac cyrus chestnut-- randy weston -- monty alexander

grenoble stael

grenoble Conservatoire national de Paris : schoenberg - beethoven (cto pour piano n5 (+planes), sym n5)

grenoble stefano di battista quartet

grenoble ill ease - i like trains

grenoble nadj - queenadreena

Some superb moments : Shepp's quartet, Alain Bashung, Weston in Glasgow, Wollny-Ozone piano duo.

At University of Texas in Dallas: Leroy Hog Cooper and Paul Bollenback

At House of Blues in Dallas: Buddy Guy

At a downtown church in Dallas: Dennis Gonzalez with Tim Green

At Jazz Standard: Frank Morgan and Lonnie Smith

At the Village Vanguard: Nino Josele and Bill Charlap

At Hotel Kitano: Onaje Allan Gumbs

At the Iridium: Mingus Orchestra, Mingus Dynasty, Stanley Jordan, and David Weiss with a Tribute to Wayne Shorter.

At 55 Bar: Mike Stern

at Smalls: David Schnitter

At Jazz Improv Festival, New York: Avery Sharpe, Geri Allen, Onaje Allen Gumbs, McCoy Tyner, Pat Martino, Sonny Fortune, Frank Kimbrough, Don Friedman, Vincent Herring, Roy Haynes, and Stanley Clarke.

Wow! It is REALLY nice to see that Hog is still about and active. How is he playing?

MG

He was seated for the concert and played fairly short solos, and it appeared his stamina was limited, but he still had his sound on the baritone. It was an enjoyable evening; he was very gregarious and told lots of anecdotes about Dallas jazz legends, especially Buster Smith.

I hadn't seen him perform since the Return to the Wide Open Spaces concert at the Caravan of Dreams.

Guest Bill Barton

2007 Top Concerts in no particular order:

Gust Burns Trio (with Jeff Johnson-bass and Greg Campbell-drums,

percussion); Wally Shoup/Gust Burns/Reuben Radding/Greg Campbell

(Chapel Performance Space, Earshot Jazz Festival, Seattle)

Satoko Fujii/Natsuki Tamura (Chapel Performance Space, Seattle)

John Butcher/Torsten Muller/Dylan van der Schyff (Chapel Performance

Space, Polestar/Earshot event, Seattle)

The Willem Breuker Kollektief's Faust (The Triple Door, Earshot Jazz

Festival, Seattle)

David Haney/Dan Blunck (Gallery 1412, Seattle)

Moutin Reunion Quartet (Ballard Jazz Festival, Seattle)

Tom Varner Trio + one (Seattle Asian Art Museum, Seattle)

New Stories (Seattle Asian Art Museum, Seattle)

Hal Galper/Jeff Johnson/John Bishop (Tula's, Seattle)

Dawn Clement Trio; Anat Cohen Quartet (PONCHO Concert Hall, Cornish

College, Earshot Jazz Festival, Seattle)

Wally Shoup Trio (Gallery 1412, Seattle)

Dafnis Prieto (The Triple Door, Earshot Jazz Festival, Seattle)

Thomas Marriott's Willie Nelson Project (Seattle Jazz Showcase,

Seattle)

Marc Seales Group (Seattle Jazz Showcase, Seattle)

More Zero (Seattle Jazz Showcase, Seattle)

Wayne Horvitz; Bill Horvitz Trio (Gallery 1412, Seattle)

Paul Rucker Quintet (Chapel Performance Space, Seattle)

Charmaine Clamor (Seattle Asian Art Museum, Seattle)

Angelique Kidjo (Jazz Alley, Seattle)

Richard Bona (Jazz Alley, Seattle)

Michael Blake's Hellbent (Tula's, Seattle)

Edited by Bill Barton

Not too much in 07.

David Torn's Prezens at Joe's Pub - exciting, but the sound could have been better. Torn had an amp that was way too powerful for the room, so he was louder than the PA and I had a hard time hearing the rest of the band.

Alice Coltrane Memorial at the Cathederal of St. John the Divine - discussed this in another thread...

It's not like the old days, when I was constantly going to shows. :huh:

Wow! It is REALLY nice to see that Hog is still about and active. How is he playing?

MG

He was seated for the concert and played fairly short solos, and it appeared his stamina was limited, but he still had his sound on the baritone. It was an enjoyable evening; he was very gregarious and told lots of anecdotes about Dallas jazz legends, especially Buster Smith.

I hadn't seen him perform since the Return to the Wide Open Spaces concert at the Caravan of Dreams.

Thanks, and WOW! You were AT that gig. Can I hear you on the CD? :)

MG

MG

Thanks, and WOW! You were AT that gig. Can I hear you on the CD? :)

MG

Yes, I didn't miss much at the Caravan in its heyday. That was one excellent concert (even better than the CD presents it). That same year (1986), I also saw at the Caravan: Ornette Coleman, Benny Carter, Freddie Hubbard, Dizzy Gillespie, Cedar Walton and David Newman, Albert King, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, Bobby Blue Bland, Ronald Shannon Jackson, Oregon, John Blake, Paquito D'Rivera, Les McCann, and others. Those were the days!

• 2 weeks later...

First post to this board so I hope it's as good a place as any. I'm pretty new to Jazz so my list of shows is slim and has a decidedly local flavor, although some of these folks have some wider appeal. Seen in and around Minneapolis/St. Paul in clubs or on stage in no particular order...

The Bad Plus

Happy Apple

Bill Cartwright & GloryLand PonyCat

Lee Konitz

Dean Magraw Trio

Dean Magraw and Anthony Cox

Nathan Hanson/The Fantastic Merlins

Fat Kid Wednesdays

Charlie Hunter Trio

Bill Carrothers

Dean Granros Trio

Phil Hey Quartet

Peter Schimke and Irv Williams

Mose Allison

Bettye Lavette

Adam Niewood & His (Minnie) Rabble Rousers

Mark Miller & Slide Huxtable

Buffalo Collision: Tim Berne - alto sax, Hank Roberts – cello, Ethan Iverson – piano, Dave King – drums

The Out To Lunch Quintet, a group of players who went to work and produced a very credible cover of everything on Eric Dolphy's LP, "Out to Lunch". I thought it very well done. They cut a CD of a live performance from early in the year. (Not sure how this board tolerates blatant salesmanship, so suffice to say the CD is out there for sale.)

Coming up are Hugh Masekela and Allen Toussaint. Last year Booker T as well as Dr. John came to the Dakota... What a night!

I hope to browse around here and pick up as much as I can. I'd love to know if there are any other jazz tapers out there.

All for now, I gotta go.

Edited by DPK