Meade Lux Lewis

king ubu

After a review in downbeat stating is was not up to the great sides he recorded for Blue Note, I listened to it in a shop and thought it was too repetitive, not as varied and creative in its approach as the older recordings. If you're not an avid Meade Lux Lewis or Boogie Woogie collector, the Mosaic or the single Blue Note CD would be more satisfying.

I'd say give it a listen first and decide by yourself.

• 1 year later...

Here's another one...

BTW that's Plaza Sound Studios, which Riverside always used.. Lewis also played celeste on that date (he was bigger than the instrument). As for "Cat House Piano," I think Verve subsequently released it along with another Lewis alum, and I vaguely recall writing the notes.

Edited by Christiern

Guest ariceffron

well what the hell do u want mikeweil do u want meade-lux to fucking make an lp on synthesizers. this lp is like the others becuase meade lux at that point was an important musical link to pianos past. and his playing was documented by granz cause he realized it was something special from the past that should be preserved

I love Meade Lux Lewis - the problem with any album by a musician like him is that it's going to be, by nature, repetitive. This is one way in which social changes have altered perception and understanding of musicians like Lewis - I really think this music is best listened to on a juke box, as a random selection coupled with others of it's style, or in-person in a living room or juke joint, up close and personal, or in concert - anybody whose ever seen any of the blues greats like Muddy Waters will know what I mean - listening to recordings is great, but pales by comparison to hearing it in person. Of course this is true of any kind of music, but I find it particulary relevant with these kinds of players -

Edited by AllenLowe