for goodness sake - i just spun (and enjoyed) this:

516PGO+dpVL._SS500_.jpg

when i removed it from my cd player i noticed that the disc says:

ArchieSHEP

thats right, SHEP!!!!

than i see that the cd is "made in portugal"

my AMG says the release was originally on Enja

the session date was 1975

is this cd legit or do we have copyright infringement here?

how about the rest of the "jazz hour" series?

:ph34r:

...my AMG says the release was originally on Enja. the session date was 1975...

does it really, or does it say this was on enja?

tkcw32129_170.jpg

so that's steam, not stream, omg!

sorry, just having a little fun with you. actually, the material from the jazz hour reissue comes from shepp's live recordings at montreux in 1975 that appeared on the arista/freedom label.

...my AMG says the release was originally on Enja. the session date was 1975...

does it really, or does it say this was on enja?

tkcw32129_170.jpg

so that's steam, not stream, omg!

sorry, just having a little fun with you. actually, the material from the jazz hour reissue comes from shepp's live recordings at montreux in 1975 that appeared on the arista/freedom label.

ooops! lol

:blush:

Some time ago, I read In These Girls, Hope Is a Muscle, a book chronicling a season with the women's high school basketball team in Amherst, Massachusetts. At least twice in the book, reference is made to Archie "Schepp". I meant to write a letter to the publisher mentioning the misspelling, but never got around to it. A year or so later, when the paperback edition was published, it was still "Schepp".

Some time ago, I read In These Girls, Hope Is a Muscle, a book chronicling a season with the women's high school basketball team in Amherst, Massachusetts. At least twice in the book, reference is made to Archie "Schepp". I meant to write a letter to the publisher mentioning the misspelling, but never got around to it. A year or so later, when the paperback edition was published, it was still "Schepp".

at least it wasn't schlep!!!

:crazy:

• 4 years later...

She P or She PP?

I grew up thinking the two were basically the same! As a child, I used to PP—as an adult, I started to P.

Does having Archie PP on the cover and P on the label bother you?

Glad you got your body fluid shorthand together.

What do you think of Archie Shepp's music?

Were you grooving along to Attica Blues in 1972?

funny to see this thread resurface after 4 years!

the unanswered question (see my initial post) is what is the story about the "Jazz Hour" series. This cd was the only one i ever saw - are there others? are they legit? are they any good?

:tophat:

The issues I remember were drawn from the Black Lion/Freedom catalog.

Are you talking about this label? I have the Shepp and a Dexter Gordon and a Chet Baker on the label...as well as some others I can't remember. I assume that's the label.

Maybe this is a better link.

That's the one. I think they drew from quite a variety of sources, including Mercury/Emarcy; Argo/Chess; Atlantic; and probably many others in addition to bootlegs. I've forgotten what it was now (a Getz disc, I think), but I remember buying one that misrepresented the music it contained.

When this label first appeared, I seem to recall another company name that appeared on their releases, in addition to the "Jazz Hour With" title. I don't know if they had a subsidiary, or what. Anybody remember that?