How about just "Album of the Moment?"

Big Al

Anyone can start a thread about a particular album. This as opposed to the ongoing "What Are You Listening To" thread. Just start a thread about an album you feel like talking about.

For future search sake, just list the artist and the album title in the thread.

Just a thought, since the "Album of the Month" idea didn't take off.

I agree. It needs to lead to discussion. At the moment, it's merely listing. It gives a snapshot of what members like, but nothing else. Occasionally, someone offers an appraisal of what they're listening to, but this is then lost in succeeding posts.

Edited by BillF

what are you listening to right now is the biggest waste of space on this board.

people just say what they are listening to, but there is no discussion or anything.

it is a waste.

I disagree. Reading what other people are listening to sometimes inspires me to pull out discs I haven't listened to in a long time. Or sparks a curiousity in me to find out more about a particular artist or recording.

I think it's a beneficial, and entertaining thread.

Perhaps the answer is to have two threads: "Album of the Moment" as suggested by Big Al, as well as "What Are You Listening To Right Now " in its present form.

Yes. I don't want to discourage or get rid of the "Listening" thread, for the reasons listed above by other posters.

But at the same time, what made me think of this was the fact that I was listening to Lee Morgan's CITY LIGHTS the other morning and wanted to start a thread. Now, I don't want to put it in "Recommendations" because I'm not doing that; I just want to talk about it. And I figure there are others who want to do the same thing, that is just talk about a particular album without dedicating a week, month, or even a day to it. Just a moment.

The thing about a lot of albums is that after you say "This is good, especially cuts S, F, & J", "Bill Shakes playes exceptionally well here", and a few people pitch in with "I also like Album C by so-and-do", theat're pretty much all there really is to say.

That's not a problem, imo, but it does explain why lengthy, in-depth conversations of many, many albums don't unfold. Good is good, and that is that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I love discussing albums and artists. I go through phases where I'll be into a particular artist or group of artists, and then I'll get turned on to something completely different, and have a thirst for that for a while.

Example: While my tastes until recently have been pretty much contemporary and just a little bit outside (Douglas, Melford, Ehrlich, Berne etc.) and I definitely have a taste for free jazz, I'm now into a phase where I'm devouring Ellington, Hodges, Gonsalves, Webster, have about a half dozen Lester Youngs on order, some Basie. So I want to absorb as much about these artists as I can.

I've been tempted to start an Ellington thread to talk about his music and the music of his sidemen. Get some recs. Things like that. Maybe I should.

Well, I love discussing albums and artists. I go through phases where I'll be into a particular artist or group of artists, and then I'll get turned on to something completely different, and have a thirst for that for a while.

Example: While my tastes until recently have been pretty much contemporary and just a little bit outside (Douglas, Melford, Ehrlich, Berne etc.) and I definitely have a taste for free jazz, I'm now into a phase where I'm devouring Ellington, Hodges, Gonsalves, Webster, have about a half dozen Lester Youngs on order, some Basie. So I want to absorb as much about these artists as I can.

I've been tempted to start an Ellington thread to talk about his music and the music of his sidemen. Get some recs. Things like that. Maybe I should.

Hope you do. We can all learn from threads like that.

Looking forward to contributing to your Ellington thread.

Interesting to hear you talking about being into different phases. I have been an active jazz listener and record purchaser for fifty years, so have had plenty of time to get into and out of various areas of the music! These have mainly been New Orleans jazz of the 1920s, boogie and blues piano, bop, hard bop, Ellington, 1950s mainstream and the avant-garde. All feature in my record collection, though some don't get played very often! In recent times I've been mainly into Basie, Lester and the sons of Lester, especially Wardell and Al Cohn, the Tristano school, the Miles Davis Nonet and outfits influenced by it, West Coast cool, especially Shorty Rogers, the Mulligan Quartet, Sextet and Concert Jazz Band, Herman and Kenton.

Edited by BillF