Maria Schneider Orchestra at Philly Art Museum 1/11

felser

Spectacular show last night at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. 18 piece orchestra with some heavy talent. The names I recognized/remember were Ingrid Jensen (who took solo honors to my ears), Steve Wilson, Rich Perry, Donny McCaslin, Charles Pillow,Frank Kimbrough (who was fabulous), Jay Anderson, and Clarence Penn, but all the musicians were excellent. The compositions and arrangements were stunning, my favorites being 'El Viaje' and 'Hang Gliding'. Schneider was very gracious and compelling in her presentation, and the musicians seemed to have much joy and dignity. One of the best live musical experiences my wife and I have had. It was great to meet LWayne in person and to see Ron S and AlanLankin and Joe there. Very thankful for the Philadelphia Museum of Art putting on this series (other shows I have attended, both also very satisfying, were Eric Alexander/Harold Mabern and some group named Organissimo), and for the grants which enable them to present it for free with standard $14 museum admission. There were many hundreds of people there, well attended. This was the first time the Orchestra had ever played in Philly - hopefully they will return soon!

Edited by felser

• 2 weeks later...

PPfffst....when my Mike + The Mechanics tape was rewinding in the car the other day, the local late night jazz show announced Maria Schinider Orch, and i was excited to give it a listen, but nine seconds later all it was, was an over-orchestrated pat metheny group, "Pat Methneny Big Band" if you will. redheads should stay out of post-bop and stick to archery or something like that

PPfffst....when my Mike + The Mechanics tape was rewinding in the car the other day, the local late night jazz show announced Maria Schinider Orch, and i was excited to give it a listen, but nine seconds later all it was, was an over-orchestrated pat metheny group, "Pat Methneny Big Band" if you will. redheads should stay out of post-bop and stick to archery or something like that

The Metheny comparison is right on, Chewy; that was the first thing I thought when I finally heard her after reading so many rave reviews. I was surprised that such tepid, swoopy, and harmonically cloying music was getting such acclaim (often from critics who, oddly enough, had previously expressed reservations about Metheny).

The Metheny comparison is right on, Chewy; that was the first thing I thought when I finally heard her after reading so many rave reviews. I was surprised that such tepid, swoopy, and harmonically cloying music was getting such acclaim (often from critics who, oddly enough, had previously expressed reservations about Metheny).

Guess not everyone sees it that way.

Like it or not, Metheney's got a thing, and it's a real thing that holds up under close scrutiny, I think. I'd be a liar if I said I warmed to it in < 10 years, maybe even < 20, and I'd be a liar if I said that I gravitate to it naturally or consistentnly. But I'd be an even bigger liar if I didn't cop to eventually realising, appreciating, and even sometimes really liking how his tunes' harmonic structures have a distinctly "narrative" quality to them that is quite durable for that purpose once/if you get to where you can hear it like that.

In other words, his tunes often tell a story, and in a world full of "standards" that essentially follow a handful of formulae in differing combinations, "originals" that too often end up being "music about music", and a set of "sketches" that more often than not end up existing...for what?, hey, it's none too bad to hear somebody telling stories, even if they're stories that I only get in part a lot of the time. I've finally gotten happy/secure/whatever enough to be happy at other people being happy when their happiness is not my oen, just as long as their happiness doesn't seem predicated on the destruction/negation/denial of mine, and god knows, I don't think that Metheney is anything like that, not even remotely.

Well, this is not a band that can be really be heard from a radio broadcast over a car audio system. Hearing it live, with all of the air moving, is the best way.

Besides Chewy, listening to Mike and the Mechanics before MS is like having a fine Port after eating a bucket of KFC. Your pallete has to adjust.

redheads in general? or just the "girls"?

:rolleyes:

I agree that Metheny is the real thing; he's just not my thing. I suppose that the same could be said about Schneider based on the consensus. Certainly, both are fine musicians, but far from my cup of tea. (I prefer a caffeinated black tea to Celestial Seasonings, I guess.)

Guest Bill Barton

...redheads should stay out of post-bop and stick to archery or something like that

...redheads in general? or just the "girls"?

:rolleyes:

yeah, but dont get me wrong, I wouldn't kick her out of bed eating crackers

So, does this mean you'd volunteer to stand very, very still with an apple on your head while she practices her archery?