My Thoughts on Today's Popular Music

Still diggin' the recent Jill Scott album? [i haven't yet acquired it.]

Some, not as much as earlier. I'll come back to it later this year to see how it's feeling.

FWIW though, Beautifully Human is still tripping me out. Playd it just last week and still got the goosebumps. In for the duration, I think it's gonna be.

(Miltonic Inversion!)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still diggin' the recent Jill Scott album? [i haven't yet acquired it.]

Some, not as much as earlier. I'll come back to it later this year to see how it's feeling.

FWIW though, Beautifully Human is still tripping me out. Playd it just last week and still got the goosebumps. In for the duration, I think it's gonna be.

(Miltonic Inversion!)

Me too. That's the only one I have. (double reverse Miltonic non-inversion...nothin' but net!)

I am slowly becoming of the mind that the "effect" of any music is at least as dependant on the recipient of the music as it is any intrinsic quality of the music itself. That is, I'm begionning to believe that claims of inherent/congenital/whatever "qualities" of any music are just so much projection. Which is to say that ultimately music is a vehicle rather than an end to itself. Any rewards we do or don't get from any music reflect our relationship to that music at least as much as any "essential" quality of the music itself.

Yes, yes.

MG

maybe I'll start a new one with a quote from Mein Kampf, unattributed, of course -

You don't need to; the hatemongers on right wing talk radio and Fox News have been doing that for years, substituting the words "liberal" for "communist" and "America" for "Germany." More has changed in pop music in the last 40 years (sadly).

Totally dig this new band...Paramore. Here's the title track from their 2005 debut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk09OSHnuio

their second album came out last year. Not a bad cut on it. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sApyi41SoVM&NR=1

In concert they rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-9qm0uL7fU

Very melodic hard rock. She's got a fantastic voice...not the usual studio trickery...auto-tuned...

Nice songs but it certainly sounds auto-tuned to me.

I must admit I'm not the best at hearing that type of thing.

It's cool you took the time to listen. :tup

"Any music that makes girls want to move their hips can't be too bad."

well, there is that meringue version of Deutschland Uber Alles in that Leni Riefenstahl film, the one where Leni gives Hitler mambo lessons and he goes home to Eva at Berchtesgarden and says, "hey Eva, how about a mambo?" and Eva sees the lipstick on Adolf's cheek and slaps him with a rubber Swastika, so he calls Sonja Henie on the phone and they meet at midnight on the frozen Auschwitz pond and they pirouette across the ice while the Jewish prisoners peer over the fence at this unlikely scene, humming Kurt Weil melodies, making strobe patterns across the Auschwitz night with their Jahrzeit candles as Himmler, fresh from a late-night schwitz, sits at the commandent's window gazing yearningly at these wandering Jews and marvelling at the unlikelihood of it all -

Edited by AllenLowe

and in the next scene a group of women, in the Lebensborn program, put on white nighties and move across the lawn on a warm moon-lit night, as the German band plays Tea for Two to a meringue beat - and the women's hips glide sensually in unison, symbolizing fertility and the Nazi ideal of happy shining white children, as the women's clogs, in a lord-of-the-dance synchronization, spell out the first 8 paragraphs of Hitler's Reichstag fire speech, in morse code.

Edited by AllenLowe