Frank Lowe RIP

sidewinder

Sad news indeed. One of the music's true individuals, and a personal favorite.

DECISION IN PARADISE, a 1985 Soul Note side w/Don Cherry, Grachan Moncur III, Geri Allen, and Moffetts Charnette & Charles is one of those albums that just gets better as time passes. But you could say that about most of Lowe's work.

So much personality....

R.I.P.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the first jazz concerts I ever attended was Bangs quartet with Lowe in 1988, some time after they had recorded Valve No 10. Lowe was an imposing presence. It was an eye opening concert leading me to rush out to buy all the Bang I could. ( not much was available but finally found Live at Carlos 1). Much later Valve No. 10 was released and Lowe is in fine voice.

The Flam is also pretty good too but havent played it for sometime as my turntable is sick !!!! must get it mended...

What sad news to come back too. "The Flam" made a big impression on me when I first heard it and I've enjoyed Lowe ever since. Even got to see him live. A real loss. The Cadence review of his recent CIMP album mentioned that he was pretty sick.

Edited by JohnS

• 4 weeks later...

The Billy Bang Quintet with Frank Lowe appeared in Grand Rapids in April and we had the performance recorded for broadcast on Blue Lake Public Radio. In the process of getting that issued commercially.

That would be the shizzle!

No wink after that statement? Kinda scarey.

RIP Mr. Lowe