Blue Notes box set

Chalupa

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm eagerly awaiting the Blue Notes box. Ogun was one of my initial routes into jazz in the mid to late 70s. I never had any of these records and knew the Blue Notes mainly by reputation or odd appearances on records by the likes of Robert Wyatt.

Louis Moholo is still going strong - I saw him with a version of Spirit's Rejoice a couple of years back in fine form and he did a really interesting on stage interview. I think he lives back in South Africa now.

Louis Moholo is still going strong - I saw him with a version of Spirit's Rejoice a couple of years back in fine form and he did a really interesting on stage interview. I think he lives back in South Africa now.

He did a gig at the Barbican a year or two back but unfortunately I missed it.

Seeing Louis' name reminds me of another great drummer-in-exile who was part of the UK scene for many years - Clifford Jarvis. I recall him being very influential on the London scene in the 70s and 80s in particular. Incredible that he chose to settle with us - sad that he didn't get much recognition here. :(

Seeing Louis' name reminds me of another great drummer-in-exile who was part of the UK scene for many years - Clifford Jarvis. I recall him being very influential on the London scene in the 70s and 80s in particular. Incredible that he chose to settle with us - sad that he didn't get much recognition here. :(

Jarvis recorded a great side with Johnny Dyani for Red Records in the early '80s.

He did a gig at the Barbican a year or two back but unfortunately I missed it.

I think that might be the one I was at - part of the Jazz Britannia weekend.

I don't recall Clifford Jarvis at all.

Yep, the Moholo gig was part of the 'Jazz Britannia' weekend I think.

Sadly, Jarvis had already passed away some years earlier - I kept the obit from the paper and still have it somewhere. I think it was the 80s that he was particularly active in London.

Yep, the Moholo gig was part of the 'Jazz Britannia' weekend I think.

It was a fine gig, if a liitle ragged. Included both Soweto Kinch (nice to hear him in this sort of setting) and Jason Yarde, a player I'm astounded has not recorded. He seems tied up with production and other things. Did a great extended piece at Cheltenham a while back.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement, Bev, but Yarde has recorded with Moholo. If you mean he hasn't recorded solo (which may be the case, from what I can figure out), then yeah--about time.

Yes, that's what I mean. I've seen him a few times playing in other people's bands and he's been electrifying.

If there's one live gig I'd love to hear was recorded it would be one I saw in a dingy working men's club in Sheffield about ten years back. Louis Moholo's 'Spirit's Rejoice' with...wait for it...Jason Yarde, Paul Rogers, Keith Tippett, Evan Parker and Paul Rutherford. Yarde held his own in that exalted company.

As I said before, I think he's heavily involved in production - I've seen his name on some of the Dune label CDs.

Louis is indeed back in SA, but is back really quite a lot. He's been around this month actually. There's a new band of his which has gigged 3 times in this country so far - Louis, John Edwards, Orphy Robinson (who was spelled by Pule Pheto on the third of the three), and the twin saxophone front line of Ntshuks Bonga and Jason. I saw one of the gigs, which was completely wonderful - they pretty much took the roof off the (now, sadly defunct) Red Rose. The first gig, they played Harry Miller tunes etc., which a lot of people speak of as the best gig they've seen since [whenever]!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement, Bev, but Yarde has recorded with Moholo. If you mean he hasn't recorded solo (which may be the case, from what I can figure out), then yeah--about time.

Yes, that's what I mean. I've seen him a few times playing in other people's bands and he's been electrifying.

If there's one live gig I'd love to hear was recorded it would be one I saw in a dingy working men's club in Sheffield about ten years back. Louis Moholo's 'Spirit's Rejoice' with...wait for it...Jason Yarde, Paul Rogers, Keith Tippett, Evan Parker and Paul Rutherford. Yarde held his own in that exalted company.

As I said before, I think he's heavily involved in production - I've seen his name on some of the Dune label CDs.

That's a phenomenal lineup... I've heard a tape of that ensemble, maybe not the same concert, but it definitely riled up the energies of old.

The concert that's circulating is a BBC broadcast from Leicester, September 30, 1999 (it seems to also circulate as an Evan Parker show, erroneously). Fine one indeed, need to dig it up again!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

J.H.

Thanks for the update. I've been looking everywhere for new information. Da Bastids have been showing this as June 24th (delayed) for weeks now. Is there a website from which this can be ordered...I mean other than Dusty Groove?

Up over and out.

Don't know of any other site that has it listed at the moment. I'm sure as we get closer to the release date that will change.

Check this out....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=023

J.H.

Thanks for the update. I've been looking everywhere for new information. Da Bastids have been showing this as June 24th (delayed) for weeks now. Is there a website from which this can be ordered...I mean other than Dusty Groove?

Up over and out.

DG will almost certainly have the best price - They sell Ogun's cheaper than anyone else I've come across. If you haven't already just open an account on the DG site and add it to your wish list. They'll send you an email as soon as it's available to purchase. Of course, you (and everyone else on this board) probably already know this, but just in case.