Blue Notes box set

Chalupa

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DMG does seem kinda odd.

I emailed them yesterday about buying some Italian BYG/Actuel CDs. I had my eye on roughly $120 worth of them. I was wondering if they accepted PayPal, as I do not have credit cards, and they do not accept any form of postal or bank money order.

I got this response:

"only for our ebay sales [seller ID dtmgallery] we have a very small selection of our wares there - at higher prices than our own site

There is NO exception to our Paypal rule - we only accept it for our eBay sales

Regards, Manny at DMG"

So...they don't want my money. Okay!

Edited by peterintoronto

DMG does seem kinda odd.

I emailed them yesterday about buying some Italian BYG/Actuel CDs. I had my eye on roughly $120 worth of them. I was wondering if they accepted PayPal, as I do not have credit cards, and they do not accept any form of postal or bank money order.

I got this response:

"only for our ebay sales [seller ID dtmgallery] we have a very small selection of our wares there - at higher prices than our own site

Regards, Manny at DMG"

The charges to retailers for using Paypal are higher than for many other forms of financial transactions so I guess they're just trying to protect their margins. Although some of their e-mails are not terrible 'user friendly', I've always found them very helpful and they do stock some very 'hard-to-find'' releases.

I don't have a setlist, but here's the rest of the info:

Chris McGreger & Brotherhood of Breath

JazzFest Berlin

Philharmonie, Berlin, Germany

November 4, 1971

Harry Beckett - trumpet

Marc Charig - trumpet

Nick Evans - trombone

Malcolm Griffiths - trombone

Dudu Pukwana - alto sax

Mike Osborne - alto sax

Alan Skidmore - tenor sax

Gary Windo - tenor sax

Chris McGregor - piano

Harry Miller - bass

Louis Moholo - drums

Oh my - I remember watching that on tv at the time - I remember Gary Windo screeching like mad, biting his reed. A wild band. I liked the trumpeters, I remember Charig and Beckett. Skidmore ... well ... was his own scale-running self. All those horn players were all around the British progressive scene, playing with Keith Tippett, Soft Machine - Nick Evans and Griffiths made nice contrast, too. I should check this out ...

Edited by mikeweil

And Willis/Gomez fit in nicely with this kind of groove!

1027867.jpg

This hasn't left my players at home and in the car since I got it.

People tend to forget Willis and Masekela made friends in the early 1960's a the Manhattan School of Music, Willis was Masekela's regular painist for some time, parallel to working with Jackie McLean. His groove is every bit as great as Herbie's, who's another old friend of Willis. A largely underrated pianist, IMHO. Just for the fact that he played with Masekela and then BS&T, which doesn't seem to make the same reputation as other bands ...

Gomez, OTOH, was playing funky grooves on the bass with Jeremy around the same time - he isn't associated with that style very much but he was one of the first to have it down.

Edited by mikeweil

This is now on the Dusty Groove website. $64.99.

Up over and out.

That's still not including shipping. I was sent 32 GBP which included shipping, and the cost of the bank draft brought the total to $61 CDN. Add on a $1.60 stamp to mail it, and Canadians are still better off than Dusty Groove.

Edited by peterintoronto

This is now on the Dusty Groove website. $64.99.

Up over and out.

That's still not including shipping. I was sent 32 GBP which included shipping, and the cost of the bank draft brought the total to $61 CDN. Add on a $1.60 stamp to mail it, and Canadians are still better off than Dusty Groove.

I'm a slave to Da Bastids and their ability to get my order into my hands in just a couple of days. To me, that's worth the extra cost.

Up over and out.

Still waiting for it to show up on DG.............

I guess that's the only way we can order it here in the US?

Just showed up this morning at $65 at DG.

Put one in my cart, but then put it back, since I have told myself to cut back a bit until I've listened to everything else I have bought.

Listened to the first disc, the live date from 1964. Sound is pretty good, the music is great -- it's hard to compare, even with the "New Wave" that was happening in the US at the time. What's interesting is that the live date is the only disc that is from the 60's -- everything else is 70's or later. I had been expecting a lot of early material. Liner notes have a lot of appreciations and some historical notes. though I wish there were more -- more history of South African jazz, and how these guys figured into it. But it does explain how they got together and their move from South Africa to Europe. Can't wait to hear the other discs!

More early Blue Notes on this marvellous disc, which is - surprise! - on Proper:

prpcd013.jpg

1. Schoolboy

2. Now

3. The Blessing Light

4. The Blessing Light

5. Take The Coltrane

6. Angelica

7. Kay

8. Kay

9. Vortex Special

10. Never Let Me Go

11. Izithunywa

12. Blue Nick

13. Coming Home

14. Dick's Pick

This CD contains the very first recordings from the Blue Notes. The legendary South African Modern Jazz combo then featured the talents of Pianist Chris McGregor, trumpeter Mongezi Feza, saxophonists Dudu Pukwana and Nick Moyake, and drummer Louis Tebugo Moholo. The racial situation in South Africa forced the Blue Notes to leave the country in '64. They wandered through France, Switzerland and Scandanavia before settling in London, where they were to have a profound effect on the British Jazz scene of the late 1960s. These extremely rare recordings have never before been released in the UK or Europe.

http://www.propermusic.com/products.asp?recnumber=230

Just got the box (direct from Cadillac). Nicely packaged with slip-out digipacks of the four albums + a nice liner booklet; if I have an issue here it's that the packaging is really unassuming--sort of a brown bag of wonder (literally)--but I guess the streamlining is classy. Obviously I haven't listened to everything yet, but the mastering is pretty clear. It looks like a nice companion piece to the Harry Miller box, if a lot more dense. (Looking forward to spinning Blue Notes for Mongezi.) I'll chime in when I've had time to digest everything.

• 2 weeks later...

DMG does seem kinda odd.

I got this response:

Regards, Manny at DMG"

The charges to retailers for using Paypal are higher than for many other forms of financial transactions so I guess they're just trying to protect their margins. Although some of their e-mails are not terrible 'user friendly', I've always found them very helpful and they do stock some very 'hard-to-find'' releases.

Indeed, not very friendly nor sophisticated.

Once I ordered some cds, payed with their KeptPrivate service. After some two months waiting I asked some notice about them, wether they'd send them again. They replied stiffly that in "a corrupt country as Italy is" -I live there- they cannot be blamed if mail does not work...

:-(((

CDS arrived later, anyway.

I forgave'm recently and buyied Blue Notes cd box, which arrived in two dry weeks. This made me very pround to give them a a thank and a confirm that mafia business does not still destroys Italian mail completely, after all.

In NY they have a dark and little store full of wonderful stuff; many CDR long OOP -if ever available- sold directly by the artists (I had many cds, some Threadgill rare stuff).

Guest JazzLoft
Just got the box (direct from Cadillac). Nicely packaged with slip-out digipacks of the four albums + a nice liner booklet; if I have an issue here it's that the packaging is really unassuming--sort of a brown bag of wonder (literally)--but I guess the streamlining is classy. Obviously I haven't listened to everything yet, but the mastering is pretty clear. It looks like a nice companion piece to the Harry Miller box, if a lot more dense. (Looking forward to spinning Blue Notes for Mongezi.) I'll chime in when I've had time to digest everything.

Guest JazzLoft

FYI, we take PayPal at our website on The Jazz Loft at http://www.jazzloft.com. Thanks! Alan

This is making the rounds.....

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath, 1973.01.23, Freiburg (Germany)

Universität, Audimax

Freiburg, Germany

23. January 1973

source: SWR2Radio > DVB-S(256 kbps/ 48 khz) > EDIROL R09 > Audacity > Flac 6

sound quality: A-

Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath

Dudu Pukwana - as

Mike Osborne - as

Evan Parker - ts

Gary Windo - ts

Mongezi Feza - tp

Harry Beckett - tp