NBC suspends David Shuster

The thing is with reporters; reporters should be just that, giving us "Just the facts ma'am." If it's an OP Ed piece, then the gloves are off. Throw it at us.

For a 'straight facts' reporter to go off on a "pimpin" bit of "smart a**@" talk, it's not great judgement on his part, even though those he reports on don't show such great insight either.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very dumb response from Hillary--it strengthens my decision to not give her another vote--a decision I made a long time ago, the first time she voted in support of Bush's war.

Given Obama's great, great showing Saturday night, that might be a moot point, with any luck. ;)

A news bulletin that just came in says Obama has won Louisiana tonight. He's on a roll.

And honestly, Shuster has always struck me as somebody who was "secretly" as much Jimmy Kimmel (who, say what you will about him, apparently more than earns the right to tap Sarah Silverman, an accomplishment that inspires little but awe & respect here...

Tapping her would be an accomplishment in one sense -- like breaking into a cave where the world's entire supply of PMS was stored -- but not much fun, I reckon.

I think otherwise!

And honestly, Shuster has always struck me as somebody who was "secretly" as much Jimmy Kimmel (who, say what you will about him, apparently more than earns the right to tap Sarah Silverman, an accomplishment that inspires little but awe & respect here...

Tapping her would be an accomplishment in one sense -- like breaking into a cave where the world's entire supply of PMS was stored -- but not much fun, I reckon.

I think otherwise!

Film at 10.

Oh, I've gotten "pimp" in my face from both my kids for almost 10 years now. Having seen the real deal "in action", I was appalled for years, and still don't cotton to the notion if I think about it too much. But it has become what it has become and it what it is, and all the righteous indignation in the world ain't gonna make it otherwise.

Oh, I agree; I'm well aware that my problem with the term is internal rather than external. Hell, I still cringe when I hear a teenage girl say "sucks"... :lol:

I think otherwise!

She's getting tapped by Mike Damon...

I vote with Sngry!

This rather lengthy article makes as much sense as anything I've read on the subject:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/12/l...ca_n_85794.html

Interesting link, thanks...I just wanted to add, I wasn't paying much attention to this, until I finally heard the actual audio....he was asking Bill Press if he thought Chelsea Clinton was "being pimped out in some weird sort of way."

THAT is it??? That is worth a suspension???? He even added in some weird sort of way, which lessens whatever blow the first part of the comment had....pretty tame, all things considered. Now everyone on NBC is going to be scared shitless to say anything about anyone. Hillary is laughing that evil laugh somewhere....

I usually hear pimped out, when someone is referring to an old car being modified. And "they" mean it in a very positive way. People say my 1973 Lincoln is a real pimpmobile. Looking back I should sue the bastards.

I think otherwise!

Yep!!!! :wub:

Harrington says:

So, we know what Shuster meant here, fine. The issue now becomes whether the term's general use (a) is divorced enough from its classic meaning and (b) whether colloquial acceptance rendered it appropriate for air. The answer to both questions here is clearly no.

Since the Shuster episode has stirred a wide range of responses, I would say that the answer to both questions here is "it depends on who you ask".

A sex worker weighs in on the etymology, suggests WJC is the real pimp...

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/tracy_...imping_who.html

Makes sense to me.

Look, Chelsea's almost 28 now (born February 27, 1980) . She's not a kid any more. Any subliminal (or not) fears that portions of the electorate might have of Hillary as a "domineering mother" type were not assuaged by her behavior in this incident. If the cultural zeitgeist right now really is "moving into tomorrow" or something like that (and I'll believe it is when November rolls around), who you gonna call - your mom (who you know loves you, but damn, she just won't...let you be) or your hip older brother?