New Universal Japan budget series?

T.D.

I just got e-mail from an online vendor (ejazzlines; add standard disclaimer about my having no relationship with the outfit) which mentioned:

Universal in Japan just launched a new budget-price series (sale price $13.48!) featuring historic titles from Barry Harris, Dodo Marmarosa, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Kenny Dorham, Oscar Pettiford, and Lee Konitz.

This is news to me, and seems attractive (I'd go for the Harris practically offhand), but I know practically nothing about the Japanese reissue market. Is this program really a new development? Anybody know about remastering/sound issues, etc.?

[if this is old news, or redundant, please delete the thread...]

Edited by T.D.

If it's what I think it is, the budget series was released late last year (Nov or Dec?) with a 1,000 yen price tag.....with titles like the Dodo you mentioned plus a bunch of others like Prez w/O. Peterson, Max Roach, Ella Fitgerald, Michel Legrand, George Shearing, Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, etc. (a good number of titles, actually.....maybe 50+?)

Another good deal is the upcoming release of 150 or so OJC titles for 1,100 Yen ($10) on May 21 & June 18. Some of 'em, like the Mal-3 & Mal-4, Junior Cook/Blue Mitchell, Paul Gonsalves and Rene Thomas are no longer at CD Universe.......though they're probably hanging around somewhere else. Farmer/Byrd '2 Trumpets' isn't as readily available.......sure wish they'd release '3 trumpets' again.

He didn't send one out.......shall we stage a boycott in protest? ^_^:lol:

Start here. Looks like there are 7 or 8 pages worth.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/search/index.asp?sort...mp;formattype=1

Thanks Jr. This looks like n OJC/Fantasy list. I guess Universal Japan have taken over the distribution in Japan, as they have in Europe.

Nt Adderley's "In the bag" is in there. I saw someone, soewhere on the board, bemoning its non-availability.

MG