Joe Henderson, pt. x

Joe Christmas

Ahoy. Digging through the Milestone box I just received, reading the liners, and it says that Joe's earliest recording is his sideman date on Dorham's UNA MAS. Thinking about it, that's no surprise considering everything I have of Henderson's. But prior to his army stint ('60-'62), he was coming up on the Detroit scene and had jammed fairly regularly with some big names at the time. Are there any existing recordings of any of these gigs or jams, prior to Henderson aligning himself with Blue Note?

I recall reading an interview with Joe once were he mentioned a jam session being recorded that included Coltrane and him. I have always been interested in hearing the recording but I think he mentioned that he didn't want it commercially released because of the quality of his performance and the sound.

This is one discography that jazzdiscography.com has covered.

They mention a few sessions with no known recordings. They do have one "private recording" (bootleg) listed that HolyStitt refers to:

Date: September 9, 1958

Label: [private recording]

Joe Brazil (ldr), Joe Brazil, Sylvester 'Sonny Red' Kyner (as), John Coltrane, Joe Henderson (ts), unknown (ts, t), Hugh Lawson (p), Ernie Farrow (b), Roy Brooks (d)

a. Now's The Time - 19:00 (Charlie Parker)

b. Woody 'n You - 08:00 (Dizzy Gillespie)

c. Paul's Pal - 12:00 (Sonny Rollins)

d. Sweet Georgia Brown - 11:00 (Maceo Pinkard, Kenneth Casey, Ben Bernie)

Omit Joe Brazil (as) on b, d. Omit Joe Henderson (ts) on c. unknown (ts) on a only. unknown (t) on a only. Omit Hugh Lawson (p) on c.

Edited by Quincy

Date: September 9, 1958

Label: [private recording]

Joe Brazil (ldr), Joe Brazil, Sylvester 'Sonny Red' Kyner (as), John Coltrane, Joe Henderson (ts), unknown (ts, t), Hugh Lawson (p), Ernie Farrow (b), Roy Brooks (d)

a. Now's The Time - 19:00 (Charlie Parker)

b. Woody 'n You - 08:00 (Dizzy Gillespie)

c. Paul's Pal - 12:00 (Sonny Rollins)

d. Sweet Georgia Brown - 11:00 (Maceo Pinkard, Kenneth Casey, Ben Bernie)

Omit Joe Brazil (as) on b, d. Omit Joe Henderson (ts) on c. unknown (ts) on a only. unknown (t) on a only. Omit Hugh Lawson (p) on c.

Thanks Quincy, that is the one. I think I read about it in Down Beat. As far as I can recall, he mentioned it in a context of him having recently received a copy of the recording.

quincy, thanks. I'd heard about that but figured it to be one of those grail things that may or may not have ever existed.

g.o.m. - cool, thanks. Let me know if you hear of anything. Not that I'd kill to hear early existing recordings, I'm more curious than anything. Henderson's case would be a rare one where his earliest captures would be readily available on a semi-major label. You'd think something earlier would have to be in circulation, underground or above.

The Joe Brazil sessions exist, but in horrible condition. "Borderline unlistenable" is putting it about as politely as possible.

Let me set the scene: the group was in the living room, and the recorder was in the 2nd bedroom down the hall. And the only tape that survives is a 40th generation copy of the original.

(And THAT'S putting it politely too.)

On second thought, how's about we say it's "just about the worst sounding thing I've ever heard in my entire life". At least 100x worse than THE absolute worst Hendrix bootleg I've ever heard (and I've heard plenty).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Been meaning to ask: Does anyone here have a scan of the cover art to Joe's If You're Not Part Of The Solution, You're Part Of The Problem? I've scanned the internet without luck and have always wondered what this one looked like.

I've never seen one myself, but this appears to the the original cover on the left (sorry about the crappy size, which is only a little better if you click on the image)...

post-171-1203226676_thumb.jpg 314cYIE73oL._SL120_.jpg

...contrasted with the similar (but not quite the same) cover of the recent reissue...

Edited by Rooster_Ties