quick question about Don Cherry's "Brown Rice" on CD...

Rooster_Ties

Just purchased new copy of "Brown Rice" on CD from Dusty Groove, with the following cover (in a jewel box) from Germany (the back says "West Germany")...

cherry_don~_brownrice_101b.jpg

I used to have this on CD many years ago (a friend begged me to trade it to him, and I did), but with a different cover -- specifically this one...

brownrice.gif

What I can't remember (and this is mighty trivial, I know) is whether the older issue came in a Jewel Box, or if it was in a Digipack??

My vague memory is that the older issue (the one with the 2nd non-"Jazz Heritage" cover, and the more complete cover photo) came in a Digipack.

I now have an opportunity to trade my new issue for my buddy's old one (that was once mine). But as much as I like the full (original) cover, I really dislike Digipacks (even more).

I now have an opportunity to trade my new issue for my buddy's old one (that was once mine). But as much as I like the full (original) cover, I really dislike Digipacks (even more).

Man, I gotta say that the original, non-cropped photo is really nice - love the trees.

The music I never cared for, to be honest, though Don Cherry is among my favorite artists.

I have a few digi pack issued CD's from A&M, including "Brown Rice"; "The Age of Steam" by Gerry Mulligan (also replicated in the jazz heritage format with smaller cover shot; a Wes Montgomery, a Jim Hall (I forget the title, but I have never seen it in jewel case and two Chet Bakers ("The Best Thing for You"; "You Can't Go Home Again" since reissued in a double CD, I believe).

It appears to me that the Watts Towers appear in the background of the "Brown Rice" cover; see also Harold Land's "Harold in the Land of Jazz" which also features the covers.

Put me in the I hate digi pack camp also; I do not mind so much the folding paper covers (such as used in the Verve elite series), but packaging with the plastic spindles affixed permanently to the CD are a horrible idea in my view--very fragile.

Regards,

Baker

Good possible it was a digipack (one of the first series which had these) There was also a Ornette Coleman (red sover with a mask) in these series.

Can confirm the Ornette, Dancing in Your Head, was a digipack as I have a copy. Lousy because there's no notes included (as best as I can tell) but at least you get the whole cover unlike the Verve reissue which gives you a tinier version of the original cover on the front of the booklet.