Helen Merrill

EKE BBB

Saw her friday night at the Tokyo Blue Note. She was clearly enjoying herself and sang with a lot of emotion in front of a very enthusiastic audience. The Blue Note is pretty large but was almost full, there is a lot of love for Helen in Japan.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw her friday night at the Tokyo Blue Note. She was clearly enjoying herself and sang with a lot of emotion in front of a very enthusiastic audience. The Blue Note is pretty large but was almost full, there is a lot of love for Helen in Japan.

I think she lives there now right? Havent heard of her performing in the states lately.

Edited by bluesbro

I think she lives there now right? Havent heard of her performing in the states lately.

My understanding is that she lived in Tokyo from 1967-72 and has lived in New York City since then.

• 3 weeks later...

Two Helen Merrill Verve titles were added to the Verve Vault. . . most likely sourced from Japanese cds.

Here's the original US issue of the Helen Merrill/Teddy Wilson LP on ebay still sealed for eight bucks.

I have the record--it's a good one:

Helen Sings Teddy Swings

8$ only for Merrill with Wilson... Gee, this world is weird place...

• 10 months later...

good news: Mosaic will release three of Merrill's best albums (on two Mosaic Single discs, the first is a twofer):

Mosaic Single: The Helen Merrill- Dick Katz Sessions

In the mid '60s Helen Merrill and Dick Katz collaborated on two magnificent albums, "The Feeling Is Mutual" and "A Shade Of Difference", both originally issued on the Milestone label. These were the greatest example of Merrill's artistry since her collaborations with Gil Evans and Clifford Brown. The repertoire fits her like a glove and sidemen include Thad Jones, Gary Bartz, Jim Hall, Katz, Ron Carter and Elvin Jones. Both albums are on one CD for the first time.

Mosaic Single: Helen Merrill - Casa Forte

This 1980 album beautifully orchestrated by Merrill's husband Torrie Zito features her in a variety of settings interpreting mostly the great Brazilian songwriters (Jobim, Caymmi, Nascimento etc). The exceptional supporting cast includes Sal Nistico, Bucky Pizzarelli, George Mraz, Grady Tate and Dom Um Romao.

Theser were, I think, originally on Milestone, but their last incarnations were done by Universal. Magnificient music on the first one, and the second isn't exactly bad, either!

• 1 year later...

Both Dick Katz albums and the Gil Evans are tough to find. No one is even selling the Gil Evans on amazon; the Katzs are $30 a pop.

Picked up Dream of You, HM w CB, Jelena and You've Got a Date though.

Edited by Elissa

I will get to see Helen for the first time this coming Saturday night, July 11th. She is singing at The Upstairs Club in Montreal as part of this years Jazz Festival. She will be doing two sets each on Friday and Saturday nights.

I am very much looking forward to this gig,

I also bought tickets for Saturday July 11th at Upstairs Jazz club , but guess what ?

Yesterday the ticket office called me and they said that her agent called and cancelled the shows.

No reasons given.

I was so much looking for this show.

Can't believe it.

Denis