Chris McGregor long 'lost', sorry, long 'out of print'

RogerF

Check out the Fledg'ling Records link here to see the full details of this long-overdue reissue from Chris McGregor 'Very Urgent' due out on 14 April.

http://www.thebeesknees.com/?p=209#more-209

As I remember it is really quite free but I don't remember it that well. I think I bought it and then got rid of it along with Oliv (SME) because I didn't understand what was going on then - I was not quite into jazz then, this being around 1969/1970. I shall definitely be buying it on CD this time though!

very-urgent.jpg

Edited by RogerF

Aw, shit, lots of catching up for me there... still need all of those, also the live sets, Bremen to Bridgewater and the other one, also the Harry Miller Isipingo live set - got that as boot, but I feel like I have to replace that with the real thing, same for the recent 1971 BoB show... it's so good to see some labels actually releasing this that they shall have my full support! (Well, as soon as the bank account permits, anyway... first I'll have to grab the Hodges Mosaic and maybe the Prima/Manone, too...)

Off thread a little I know but maybe of interest. I saw the BoB at Ronnie Scott's Old Place the dummer on that evening was Barry Altschul!

Yeah, he mentioned to me that he'd worked with them in later years.

I really look forward to the Very Urgent coming out on disc. I've been looking for a vinyl copy for the better part of a decade...

When I saw the title of this thread I thought someone was going to FINALLY release "Up To Earth" which, AFAIK has never been released officially. "Very Urgent" while rare, isn't "lost" just OOP. 3 or 4 copies have sold on Ebay in the past year. Still thanks for the news. ;)

Pretty nifty that VU and the Ogun Blue Notes box set will released w/ in weeks of each other this Spring.

Mole put it out as a bootleg, along with the Surman album that became Way Back When.

They were available some years ago at about $100 a pop.

What the heck is '+/- 10 copies'? Does that mean these are anti-matter versions?

Can't say I ever recall the guys at Mole shiftily handing over packages from under the counter in brown paper bags.

:g

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my copy today(finally!) for $17.99. Man, this is better than I remember it. In fact it might be my favorite recording by the Blue Notes/BoB. In the liner notes they give a plug for the upcoming Blue Notes box on Ogun. This will definitely hold me over until it gets released. :)

Edited by J.H. Deeley