Jose "Chombo" Silva

The Magnificent Goldberg

I recently bought some of Cal Tjader's fifties albums, among them "Blackhawk nights", and was blown away by the tenor playing of Jose "Chombo" Silva. I wondered what had happened to him.

Just now, putting on the CD of Boncana Maiga "Best of Salsa" (Melodie), I happened to notice that Jose "Chombo" Silva is the first violinist on the album. What! Damn good solos! Not sure when that album was made, cos it's in the CD player now and there's no date on the sleeve, but I think it was about 1999 (must be before 2003).

So I thought I'd check up on the personnel on the Africando albums, since Boncana Maiga was the musical director of that band. And yes, there he is again, playing tenor sax on "Trovador" (1993) and "Tierra tradicional" (1994)! Phew!

Anyone else got any info about this guy?

MG

He died a few years ago, unfortunately just before a scheduled recording session for Sunnyside, which then was held and released as a "Tribute to Chombo".

He's on a number of Cal Tjader and Mongo Santamaria CDs, but never was a permanent member of their groups.

Fantasy 3-262 Cal Tjader - Mas Ritmo Caliente, reissued on Fantasy FCD-24712-2 Los Ritmos Calientes

Fantasy 3-289 Cal Tjader - Tjader Goes Latin, reissued on Fantasy FCD-24730-2 Black Orchid

Fantasy 3-283 Cal Tjader - A Night At The Blackhawk, reissued on Fantasy FCD-24755-2 Black Hawk Nights

Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-281-2 Mongo Santamaria - Sabroso

Milestone MCD-47075-2 Mongo Santamaria - Watermelon Man (2nd half is an unreleased live date with Chombo)

Fantasy FCD-24734-2 Mongo Santamaria - At The Blackhawk

Fantasy FCD-24738-2 Mongo Santamaria - Arriba!

On some of the Mongo sessions, he also plays violin - excellent charanga violinist!

His tenor has the sensuality of Getz, but with a warmer, rounder tone.

There should be some reissues of his own sessions, but I will have to look for them.

Edited by mikeweil

He died a few years ago, unfortunately just before a scheduled recording session for Sunnyside, which then was held and released as a "Tribute to Chombo".

He's on a number of Cal Tjader and Mongo Santamaria CDs, but never was a permanent member of their groups.

Fantasy 3-262 Cal Tjader - Mas Ritmo Caliente, reissued on Fantasy FCD-24712-2 Los Ritmos Calientes

Fantasy 3-289 Cal Tjader - Tjader Goes Latin, reissued on Fantasy FCD-24730-2 Black Orchid

Fantasy 3-283 Cal Tjader - A Night At The Blackhawk, reissued on Fantasy FCD-24755-2 Black Hawk Nights

Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-281-2 Mongo Santamaria - Sabroso

Milestone MCD-47075-2 Mongo Santamaria - Watermelon Man (2nd half is an unreleased live date with Chombo)

Fantasy FCD-24734-2 Mongo Santamaria - At The Blackhawk

Fantasy FCD-24738-2 Mongo Santamaria - Arriba!

On the Mongo session, he also plays violin - excellent charanga violinist!

There should be some reissues of his own sessions, but I will have to look for them.

Thanks Mike. I've got lots of Mongo, but NONE of those you listed!

Which of the Mongo sessions has him on violin?

(As near as I can find, the Boncana Maiga issued in 1997 or 1998; it's not even dated on the disc.)

MG

Which of the Mongo sessions has him on violin?

Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-281-2 Mongo Santamaria - Sabroso (whole session)

Fantasy FCD-24734-2 Mongo Santamaria - At The Blackhawk (some tracks on tenor sax)

Just noticed he plays violin on one of the two LPs reissued on

Fantasy FCD-24733-2 Joe Loco - Locomotion

But the other violinist on the Mongo sessions, Felix "Pupi" Legaretta, is even better!

Completely agree! His tenor solo on "Out of Nowhere" is Getz bossa-nova before Getz did it himself! :tup

Which album is that on?

MG

Sorry 'bout that; I thought I put that on there! :w

Completely agree! His tenor solo on "Out of Nowhere" is Getz bossa-nova before Getz did it himself! :tup

Which album is that on?

MG

Sorry 'bout that; I thought I put that on there! :w

Thanks Al.

MG

I was lucky enough to have heard him live (here in Chicago) in the early 90s. He was a sideman with one of the major figures of Afro-Cuban music, Israel "Cachao" Lopez. I've heard him referred to as "the Latin Lester Young". The Lester Young influence was evident in that performance. (He didn't play violin that evening, Lewis Kahn did.)

Thanks Seeline - I wonder where I can get it over here

Why not order from descarga.com? They're fast and reliable. I ordered the only Mongo DVD from them last month and it was here within a week.

They also have a reissue of Chombo's only 1960's solo album with tunes of Armando Manzanero:

Los Hits De Manzanero En El Saxofon De Chombo Silva

CD (Disco Hit 1542)

The one mentioned by seeline is one of the many descarga sessions he was on.

Edited by mikeweil