What is your suggestion?

Well, I almost got through the winter without a cold, but one's coming on...

I wonder, what do you add to your Neo-Citran, gin or vodka?

I take 2000 mg. Vit. C every day, along with a good multi-vitamin, and I haven't had a cold for years.

But, should I catch one, I would be really careful about taking anything along with alcohol. Chancy. :crazy:

at the onset of a cold, I have a little routine that I do...

1) get sushi. slather wasabi on everything, let the sinuses open. If you're crying and gasping for air, even better.

2) once sinuses are open, take advil cold and sinus, meth lab edition (translation: with pseudophedrine).

3) stop off at convenient store on way home, get orange juice.

4) when home, mix orange juice with tequila and grenadine. drink till thoroughly ripped.

5) water

6) sleep.

wake up the next morning without cold.

My grandmother, RIP, would routinely eat large lumps of Vicks VapoRub whenever she got a cold.

I tested the ability of 1000 mg Emergen-C to knock out a cold this week. It didn't.

Quite a few older people eat, rather than use topically, Vicks VapoRub. I don't know who originally thought it was a good idea, but they swear by it.

When my oldest daughter was little, she found a large jar of it I had and, when I left her in her room to play for about an hour, meticulously painted, with a box of Q-Tips, an entire chest of drawers, including the pulls. I wondered why it was so quiet and when I opened the door to her room, the sinus-clearing power-of-the-Vicks worked on me like a hot damn. MAN!! So, just putting a shot of it on your upper lip does clear your head.

My Vit C/multi-vitamin routine doesn't get rid of a cold if you already have one. But I do it regardless and it seems to stop me from ever getting one. Go figure. I claim no medical expertise at all.;)

Guest Bill Barton

My vote goes to Zicam too (which is basically zinc). Lots of OJ and maybe some C supplements as already mentioned won't hurt. And tons of hand washing as opposed to hand wringing ;).

I do believe alcohol kills the effects of C.

You are probably right there. I normally drink very little alcohol - except when I go on holiday (not that I'm a piss-artist then; I spend too much on records to afford much booze). So, in addition to having less orange juice than I'm used to, I'm probably reducing the effectiveness of the measly little glasses of OJ you get in hotels. And that's why I get colds on holiday.

MG

We use Zicam, but haven't had anything like a cold or the flu for years, but when we had friends around with small children, we caught every little bug they came up with, and it was miserable. We found Zicam and it worked better than anything we'd ever used, but caused a bit of pain in my nose, it was strange and felt so odd, but it was better to have that happen for about 1/2 an hour than to go through the other cold symptoms and uncomfort.

Then this year, I read that Zicam has caused problems, problems such as permanent loss of smell. It seems I remember it saying that along with loss of smell came loss of taste.

There may have been other problems associated with Zicam, but can't recall.

Sandi