Jazz or non-jazz photos

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bev, you have aroused our curiosity, but your images didn't come through.

I'm still not sure how to do this properly - tried to post some larger versions, so I suspect that caused the trouble. I've put the smaller ones up.

This is how Bentinck Colliery is commemorated...the site is now an industrial estate - modern warehouses etc (thus the strange multicoloured things behind):

810812540957c9496ae868fb69905ddd73fb901c7b36e4dd3dde0eb677fd58d64d7b5a7f.jpg

Not much to show for what once looked like this:

Bentinck%2010a.jpg

When I came for interview here in 1977 from the 'soft south' I can recall being awestruck by these giant collieries.

I suppose a similar tale can be told in Pennsylvania and many other places in the world.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Pictures came through fine this time, Bev. What happened, was the coal depleted?

Still plenty underground. Two things happened:

a) It proved cheaper to import surface deposits from mainland Europe for power stations than to extend underground mining.

b) The Thatcher government had a vendetta against the miners because of previous political humiliations and essentially set out to destroy the industry - which is why I think so little surface evidence has survived. What is ironic is that in the great strike of 1984-5 most Notts miners carried on working, partly out of resentment towards the mining union leadership, partly out of a sense that the Notts pits (as modern' pits) had a good future. Thatcher encouraged them in these beliefs...and then, once the union was defeated, wiped them out as well.

If you've not seen the movie 'Brassed Off' try and borrow a copy - a romanticised tale but a wonderful story of the triumph of the human spirit over adversity during the days of the closures.

Interestingly, there was an article in the Guardian last weekend about one of a handful of local collieries that have survived and how, with soaring energy costs, it is taking on new workers!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/mar/15/2

A handful of shots from SXSW in Austin last week.P3140066.JPG.jpg

The Chevelles

Where was that picture taken? That place looks familiar.

A bar called BD Riley's. You been there?

No. I was thinking of this one place, and now I can't remember the street it's on; all I know is it intersects Lamar, just south of the river (it's the same street that Chuy's is on). And now I can't remember the name of the place either.

I was so mad last night: we were driving over a bridge over I-20 and I could see the moon as it had just fully risen above the horizon. It looked like a giant pumpkin! We were a few seconds away from the house, so as soon as we got home, I ran in, grabbed my camera and headed back to the bridge. When I got there, the moon had disappeared behind a big patch of clouds on an otherwise partly cloudy night. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

A handful of shots from SXSW in Austin last week.P3140066.JPG.jpg

The Chevelles

Where was that picture taken? That place looks familiar.

A bar called BD Riley's. You been there?

No. I was thinking of this one place, and now I can't remember the street it's on; all I know is it intersects Lamar, just south of the river (it's the same street that Chuy's is on). And now I can't remember the name of the place either.

Are you thinking of The Continental Club on S. Congress?