Rodney Jones - Soul Manifesto Live

Ed S

Any Rodney Jones fans out there?

I just picked this one up and have been spinning it for the last 24 hours or so. Not bad. I'm digging it. If you like his BN Soul Manifesto record, you should like this one. It has that live edge that studio albums can't generally duplicate. Lots of funky soulful jazz grooves. Some of the tunes are absolutely smokin'.

There are a couple of numbers that have some hip-hop rap thang vocals that I dug but may not be for everyone. He does a fairly straight reading of Light My Fire that I was hoping would have lit my fire more and a pretty soulful version of Morning of the Carnaval that is just okay. Other than that, this album grooves like crazy. Nice party music for sure.

Anyone know why he parted ways with BN? This album would certainly fit the bill as a BN release

Edited by Ed Swinnich

I really don't know much about Boulware beyond the gig I saw him play with John Scofield a few years ago. It was a tour that Scofield was doing on the heels of that album he did with MMW. Boulware did a nice job, or at least nice enough for me to pay attention during the band introductions AND remember his name.

I'm a BIG Rodney Jones fan. I dug Manifesto...could have liked it more, but the lineup was killer.

If you want a real taste of what Jones can do, pick up Irene Reid's "Movin' Out" CD on Savant. Jones KILLS on a couple of cuts on that. I mean, he about blows me away more than ANY cat on the scene these days. Peter Bernstein used to be my favorite young guitarist, but Jones has taken him over in my book. His skills aren't so apparent, oddly enough, on Soul Manifesto.... But pick up this Irene Reid, a nice blues-based organ outing...but Jones...he is BAAADDDD on it.

If you want a real taste of what Jones can do, pick up Irene Reid's "Movin' Out" CD on Savant. Jones KILLS on a couple of cuts on that. I mean, he about blows me away more than ANY cat on the scene these days. Peter Bernstein used to be my favorite young guitarist, but Jones has taken him over in my book. His skills aren't so apparent, oddly enough, on Soul Manifesto.... But pick up this Irene Reid, a nice blues-based organ outing...but Jones...he is BAAADDDD on it.

Seems there are only few singers doing it with an organ group, I have an Etta Jones with Larry Young, but who else?

This seems to be one worth checking out:

B00009YXKJ.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• 1 month later...

Listening to this right now. Boulware sounds good on "Live Bait"--is he comping behind his own B3 solo on Rhodes here? I like this track and "Dissertation on the Blues" a lot. "Light My Fire" on acoustic guitar seems a little out of place. Overall, pretty good stuff. Kenwood Dennard is a master of the funk.

Yeah, but still, it seems like it would be a little cumbersome. I haven't sat down at an organ in a long time but I would think it would be awkward to set the two keyboards at right angles in this case, what with the pedals and all getting in the way. (Or can you remove the pedalboard?)

Then again, I've seen Medeski do some crazy shit with Wurlitzer, B3, and an acoustic piano behind him to boot, so I guess anything's possible.