Say 'ello To My Little Friend

One of my colleagues here loves this movie and is constantly repeating lines from it. One of his favorites is: "who put this thing together? Me!"

I was under the impression that this movie almost wrecked Pacino's career.

No, it didn't wreck Pacino's career, but it was the unveiling of the "Hoo-Yah!!!" Al Pacino...y'know, the over-the-top evil twin of Al's who chews the living shit out of all the scenery....

I often explain it this way:

SCARFACE is to Pacino as THE SHINING is to Nicholson...

And, yes, the original 1932 version of SCARFACE is a brilliant film--one of the very first gangster movies (along with LITTLE CAESAR). The giant globe with the neon sign saying "The World Is Yours" seen in DePalma's version is a direct reference to the 1932 version.

who put this all together, me that's who!

another line i like is when tony says his car is a "creampuff"

also "why don't you try sticking your head up your ass, to see if it fits"

i have the first scarface oop dvd, i bought it in the pacino box set (2000).

the deluxe set is also suppose to have a tony montana money clip

scarface and big john today, i wish i didn't have to work.

ss1

I saw "Scarface" last night at the Cinerama Dome in LA, and I have to tell you, I don't quite get it. Well, I do in part - it is entertaining, one doesn't notice the passage of 3 hours. I think most of the credit goes to Oliver Stone's script and Pacino's performance rather than anything De Palma did (but there are some great crane & jib shots in there.) But why should this film be this pop favorite/influence on hip-hop? The only full on "success" sequence is that musical montage where money is coming in, and they get the big house, and he marries Michelle. Then it's all down hill. Is it the idea of "you can make yourself and have it all" combined with the over-the-top elements and the quotable lines? I guess that's enough to make a cult film. But any input on that? Is it the sort of film that just plays in the background of a party?

Did you hear that the studio wanted to replace the Moroder score with a hip-hop soundtrack, to make it up-to-date? Even Pacino liked the idea. But De Palma, who has final cut, said no, and so it remains. I'm glad - De Palma's reasoning seems right to me - that the film is also a record of its time, and Moroder and that disco (and the hair!) is all that period.

I'm tempted, but I know I'll be watching it alone. This movie has absolutely everything my wife hates in a movie. She hates violence, she hates gangster movies, and she hates hearing the "f" word. Tough call...

Hey, invite me over...I love all that stuff!

HAHA

I'll bring some whiskey and some co...NO...NO, forget it, I'll just bring whiskey!!

Is it the idea of "you can make yourself and have it all" combined with the over-the-top elements and the quotable lines? I guess that's enough to make a cult film. But any input on that? Is it the sort of film that just plays in the background of a party?

Well, this movie has always been a guilty-pleasure for me. It's so over-the-top and operatic that it's impossible to really take seriously. From Pacino's performance to the level of violence to the huge piles of cocaine it's all just TOO MUCH.

But it's really entertaining...

As far as the cult, I really think it goes back to the appeal of every gangster film since the 1930s. Americans like their outlaws. They like the fantasy of the little guy outside the system who ruthlessly builds an empire for himself against all odds. They even dig the price one inevitably has to pay--death. The remake of SCARFACE introduces an even stronger element of machismo to the whole thing which, I suspect, appeals to the hip-hop generation.

Hip-hoppers are big fans of THE GODFATHER films, too, but SCARFACE is bigger, louder, more defiantly in-your-face.

I just picked up the dvd and there's a 30-minute documentary entitled: "Origins of a Hip-Hop Classic" which contains interviews with P. Diddy, Eve, Method Man. The package claims that they'll tell us how this classic film (their words, not mine) has influenced their lives and music.

Once I view this I will report back...

they had an article on scarface in the usa today last week.

it said that scarface was being shown in limited release on the big screen.

i think it might be playing up in phoenix.

i did an fandango.com search with no luck.

tucson is mentioned in scarface and should be shown in this town.

ss1

how am i gonna get a scar like this, eating *****?

can't you stop saying f*ck all the time

say goodnight to the bad guy

Edited by Soulstation1

Scarface semmed pretty absurd to me, also, but there is one scene that makes me laugh whenver I think of it. When Pacino shoots the assassin who blows up the car with the entire family inside(wife and kids of the target), he looks at the hitman and says"You wouldn't listen to me- now look at you!" Hilarious!!!