Album Of The Week: October 5 - 11: "Witchi-Tai-To"

SEK

I recently upgraded from an MP3 copy to a "legit" one. This is a VERY strong album, and the things that usually bother me about Garbarek's playing are absent here.

Also, this thread is an example of SEK's excellent contributions to this forum. Steve, you're missed!

Guy

You are right.It's a VERY strong album.It's been one of my most played ECM cds ever!

• 1 year later...

Everytime I hear the opening song to "Witchi-Tai-To" called "Air" it really sends me to another place. It's so emotional, so beautiful. Bobo Stenson had some very inspiring playing on this record as did the rest of band: Palle Danielsson and Jon Christensen, who I consider the who's who on the European jazz scene. I mean those two guys made some great records back in the day.

I think some of my favorite Garbarek albums has to be "Twelve Moons," "Rites," "Folk Songs (w/ Charlie Haden, Egberto Gismonti), and "Paths, Prints." Both of these albums really bring a lot of good memories for me.

Edited by bluemonk

There is something about Garbarek's tone that I'm not really comfortable with...at times his playing almost seems "new agey" to me on this disc. That being said, I really dug this album and am thankful it was chosen as AOW. I also picked up Stenson's Serenity and War Orphans based on this AOW. Serenity has resonated the most with me, so far.

I totally agree with this. Garbarek's tone can sound like cat's claws scratching a chalkboard at times, but I think it mellowed out some later in the 70s. I dig his albums with Egberto Gismonti and Charlie Haden. Really beautiful music.

Why?

Not a reason most would expect. My friend SEK (Steve Kaufman) finally died of a nasty form of brain cancer about 18 months ago. He had fought it for years. Great guy with interesting tastes. Search out his posts. He was a prince.

Sidewinder undoubtedly meant something else I posted about Stenson and I don't mean anything negative about that - it just took me back to a personal loss.

Why?

Yep, totally different reason. I was thinking about one of Chuck's old requests for a 'Complete Bobo Stenson' Mosaic set. Must have been years and years ago.

Very sorry to hear the news about SEK. Didn't notice that he'd started the thread.

Edited by sidewinder

Why?

Not a reason most would expect. My friend SEK (Steve Kaufman) finally died of a nasty form of brain cancer about 18 months ago. He had fought it for years. Great guy with interesting tastes. Search out his posts. He was a prince.

Sidewinder undoubtedly meant something else I posted about Stenson and I don't mean anything negative about that - it just took me back to a personal loss.

I didn't know this about SEK/Steve. Thank you for informing me, and if I'd plainly forgotten, my apologies.