MLB 2008

Oh boy. Drew diagnosed with a herniated disc. What a fucking asshole that Brian Giles is for refusing to come to a pennant contender. It'll really piss the fucking hell out of me if we don't have the offense to at least hang on to the wild card, but Jesus Christ, there's no fucking way we can win with Coco and Varitek's anemic bats in the lineup.

Have to smile; I just read this as the Jays made their pitching change in the top of the 6th. duh2.gif

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but while its theoretically possible that Varitek won't hit quite as poorly the rest of the season, I can't even picture Crisp putting his swing back together. And with Drew out, there's no choice in the matter.

I haven't looked at the numbers to verify this, but it seems as though the Rays' offense has improved significantly since Longoria and Crawford went down with injuries. Baldelli hit his first home run of the season tonight. Nice to see. And the Rays were tagging the ball from top to bottom tonight. Everyone in the lineup had a hit except for Upton.

Nice win.

And a nice win for the Sox as well, as now they have Lester going against Litsch today and Dice-K against Burnett on Sunday. Considering that Dice-K has been especially good on the road, if Lester continues to pitch as he has and the bats don't disappear, they'll have a shot at a sweep on Sunday. Cross fingers.

It dawned on me last night that if we can say that the Yankees are in bad shape, six games out with 34 to play, then the Sox can't be in very good shape for the division, 4 1/2 games out with 34 to play. :rmad: And the worst thing is the Twins/White Sox sticking with them for the Wild Card. Nightmare scenario has to be that the Yankees get eliminated with about a week to go, but then manage to knock the Sox out of the October dance at Fenway in the final series. We need one of those Central division teams to head south fast so that we can get a firm grip on the wild card.

At least our chances are improved by the fact that after the Yankee series next week, we'll have 20 of 29 games at home.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't looked at the numbers to verify this, but it seems as though the Rays' offense has improved significantly since Longoria and Crawford went down with injuries. Baldelli hit his first home run of the season tonight. Nice to see. And the Rays were tagging the ball from top to bottom tonight. Everyone in the lineup had a hit except for Upton.

Nice win.

OK, I did a quick calculation and the offense has picked up dramatically. Granted, the sample sizes for the periods encompassing the injuries to Longoria and Crawford are fairly small. Still, the uptick is pretty substantial:

Since Longoria was injured on Aug. 3 the Rays have scored 87 runs over 17 games for an average of 5.11 runs per game.

Since Crawford was injured on Aug. 9 the Rays have scored 59 over 11 games for an average of 5.3 runs per game.

In comparison, from March 31 through Aug. 2 (the day before the Longoria injury) the Rays scored 488 runs over 108 games for an average of 4.5 runs per game.

We'll see if this holds up.

(I just realized that Longoria was called up well after March 31, so I should have started the comparison sample period when he joined the roster, but I'm too lazy to refigure that now. Maybe later. I doubt it would change the number drastically though.)

Edited by papsrus

Nice win.

OK, I did a quick calculation and the offense has picked up dramatically. Granted, the sample sizes for the periods encompassing the injuries to Longoria and Crawford are fairly small. Still, the uptick is pretty substantial:

Since Longoria was injured on Aug. 3 the Rays have scored 87 runs over 17 games for an average of 5.11 runs per game.

Since Crawford was injured on Aug. 9 the Rays have scored 59 over 11 games for an average of 5.3 runs per game.

In comparison, from March 1 through Aug. 2 (the day before the Longoria injury) the Rays scored 488 runs over 108 games for an average of 4.5 runs per game.

(I just realized that Longoria was called up well after March 1, so I should have started the comparison sample period when he joined the roster, but I'm too lazy to refigure that now. Maybe later. I doubt it would change the number drastically though.)

I don't know. Those spring training games have a lot of guys who weren't on the roster, either.

Nice win.

In comparison, from March 1 through Aug. 2 (the day before the Longoria injury) the Rays scored 488 runs over 108 games for an average of 4.5 runs per game.

(I just realized that Longoria was called up well after March 1, so I should have started the comparison sample period when he joined the roster, but I'm too lazy to refigure that now. Maybe later. I doubt it would change the number drastically though.)

I don't know. Those spring training games have a lot of guys who weren't on the roster, either.

:blush:

Oops. ... March 31 - Aug. 2 is what it should have read. I'll correct the post. :lol:

Edited by papsrus

Hey! There's a new rule in baseball!! Yeah, yeah. I just saw it with my own two eyes

Apparently, if you're a baserunner caught in a rundown, you can throw an elbow into one of the players on the other team chasing you, fall down like you've been shot, and ... bingo! ... you're awarded an extra base!!

Yeah, yeah. It just happened in the Rays-ChiSox game. Extra innings. One out. A.J. Pierzynski caught in a rundown. And out goes the elbow, brushing against Aybar (who was veering toward the outfield after tossing the ball to a teammate on the other side of A.J.) and ... boom ... down goes A.J. Off to third base with you then A.J. Nicely done. Excellent!

Oh, and he just scored the winning run. Fitting.

That's as bad as A-Rod flailing at the ball while running to first base against the BoSox in the playoffs. Terrible call. The umpiring crew needs to admit they blew it. They really do. Dip shits.

Hey! There's a new rule in baseball!! Yeah, yeah. I just saw it with my own two eyes

Apparently, if you're a baserunner caught in a rundown, you can throw an elbow into one of the players on the other team chasing you, fall down like you've been shot, and ... bingo! ... you're awarded an extra base!!

Yeah, yeah. It just happened in the Rays-ChiSox game. Extra innings. One out. A.J. Pierzynski caught in a rundown. And out goes the elbow, brushing against Aybar (who was veering toward the outfield after tossing the ball to a teammate on the other side of A.J.) and ... boom ... down goes A.J. Off to third base with you then A.J. Nicely done. Excellent!

Oh, and he just scored the winning run. Fitting.

That's as bad as A-Rod flailing at the ball while running to first base against the BoSox in the playoffs. Terrible call. The umpiring crew needs to admit they blew it. They really do. Dip shits.

A.J. Pierzynski is just a sorry player, plain and simple....

Man. ... that's an easy team to get a hate on for.

Mind you, the Rays should have won it in 9 innings. But backup catcher Shawn Riggans dropped the throw home that would have nailed the baserunner coming from third ... by a mile ... for the final out. I kinda knew things weren't going to pan out after that.

There's a reason why the opposition always seems to hate Pierzinsky. Do they play the White Sox again before the playoffs, and do you plunk him? If they don't play til the playoffs, do you plunk him then?

I vote for drilling him in the next game, whenever it may happen.

In the meantime, I had the exact same feeling about our game when Delcarmen came in to try to save it after Papelbon went two shutout innings. I was even more sure after he walked the first batter. But somehow he managed, and you have to be happy with back-to-back series victories before they head to NY to wrap up the last long road trip of the year. After NY we're home for 20 of 29, and if we start the home stand with some wins over Chicago, we can hope to be in decent shape on the wild card.

There's a reason why the opposition always seems to hate Pierzinsky. Do they play the White Sox again before the playoffs, and do you plunk him? If they don't play til the playoffs, do you plunk him then?

I vote for drilling him in the next game, whenever it may happen.

He didn't make many friends in San Francisco either.

A buddy of mine who had a Giants press pass at one time said Pierzinsky was always watching Twinkies games when in the clubhouse. He couldn't be bothered with being a good teammate.

I vote plunk him.

2 out of 3 for Cubs against my Washington Senators, I mean Nationals.

Our TV color man, Ray Knight, said today that he saw no real weaknesses in the Cubs this year and it looks like a special team. They have the best pitching in the national league over the last 7 years, and while they always could hack they also seem to able to take walks this year. You have a good chance this year against the Mets and Phillies, both of whom have weaknesses. For a team to do well, it needs to be lucky with injuries and it needs a player to have a career season. This year you probably have 3 in Theriot, DaRosa, and Dempster.

Cubs still look good. <_<

My wife won't even let me talk about the Cubs, since she thinks I'll jinx them. They do look good though.

There's a little relief on the home front though, as she is one of the few Chicagoans who likes it when both teams are doing well (probably is 55-45 in favor of the White Sox if it came to that). Since the White Sox won the whole enchilada in 2005, some of the pressure is off.

My wife won't even let me talk about the Cubs, since she thinks I'll jinx them. They do look good though.

Damnit man! You just jinxed them!!!

(or is that only if your wife hears you talking about them?) :unsure:

Dunno. I could ask her, but then she'd know I was talking about the Cubs. :unsure:

Guess I'll try to keep shtum from now on.

Damnit man! You just jinxed them!!!

(or is that only if your wife hears you talking about them?) :unsure:

Dunno. I could ask her, but then she'd know I was talking about the Cubs. :unsure:

Guess I'll try to keep shtum from now on.

I already jinxed 'em on Saturday when I was talking to my cousin who's Dad lives in St. Pete but is originally from Chicago. "I wonder," I mused in that annoying way that Nat Hentoff uses when he's writing liner notes, "how cool it would be for your Dad," I said to my cousin (stop it, you're no Nat Hentoff), "if the Cubs and the Rays were in the World Series this year? Seems like it's their year, since the Red Sox and the White Sox have broken their curses."

So, when the Cubs inevitably collapse, you'll know who to blame. Sorry in advance.

Having said that, though: GO CUBS!!!!

I already jinxed 'em on Saturday when I was talking to my cousin who's Dad lives in St. Pete but is originally from Chicago. "I wonder," I mused in that annoying way that Nat Hentoff uses when he's writing liner notes, "how cool it would be for your Dad," I said to my cousin (stop it, you're no Nat Hentoff), "if the Cubs and the Rays were in the World Series this year? Seems like it's their year, since the Red Sox and the White Sox have broken their curses."

So, when the Cubs inevitably collapse, you'll know who to blame. Sorry in advance.

Having said that, though: GO CUBS!!!!

Does this mean the Rays are going to win the World Series!? :excited:

... Damnit! I just jinxed them now ... :unsure:

(Any no-hitters we need to get rid of while we're at it?)

Mark Kotsay was pulled from the Starting lineup, but see nothing on mlbtraderumors.com yet....Did the Red Sox get him????

According to Olney and Gammons, they are talking to him about his no-trade clause. Certainly wouldn't bother me, if the cost isn't significant.

Mark Kotsay was pulled from the Starting lineup, but see nothing on mlbtraderumors.com yet....Did the Red Sox get him????

According to Olney and Gammons, they are talking to him about his no-trade clause. Certainly wouldn't bother me, if the cost isn't significant.

Oh no, nothing significant, perhaps just the next Jeff Bagwell perhaps? ;)

Oh no, nothing significant, perhaps just the next Jeff Bagwell perhaps? ;)

That shit ain't funny, man.

:g

I certainly hope not. 6 HR, 37 RBI... he's basically Coco Crisp with less speed.

I certainly hope not. 6 HR, 37 RBI... he's basically Coco Crisp with less speed.

Its a done deal..here is a snippet from fox news . I think they need him because of Drew.

Kotsay, who turns 33 on Dec. 2, has been hot in August, posting an .856 on-base/slugging percentage, his highest of any month this season.

Boston assumes the balance of his $8 million salary, which would amount to slightly more than $1.5 million.

The Braves did not plan to offer salary arbitration to Kotsay, who is a free agent at the end of the season.

Kotsay missed all of June due to a lower back strain, but since then has appeared in 40 of the Braves' 48 games.

For the season, he is batting .289 with a .338 on-base percentage, six home runs and 37 RBIs in 344 plate appearances.

Now that the Yanks are realistically, if not mathematically, dead in terms of the postseason, what's the assessment on the job Girardi did? Yeah, there are all kinds of killer injury excuses, but the fact is that Torre was 12 of 12 in making a playoff appearance (not to mention the 6 WS with four wins). The G-man is 0 for 1. Girardi of course will be back. Will be interesting to see what changes the Yanks can and will make.