MLB 2008

One of the nice things about the DTV MLB package is they offer you a choice of which broadcast team you want for any given game. I've been getting to listen to Vin Scully in LA (who somehow has managed to escape aging altogether), Harry Kalas in Philly, and I've really enjoyed the Mets broadcast team with Ron Darling doing color.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back to Ryan Howard

My man has more rbis than hits

Also he has 10 errors at 1st base

Howard goes deep twice to lift Phillies

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080710/ap_on_...dinals_phillies

PHILADELPHIA - Ryan Howard homered twice and drove in three runs to help the Philadelphia Phillies beat the St. Louis Cardinals 4-1 on Thursday.

Howard lined a two-run shot to left-center off Braden Looper (9-7) in the first and connected again in the sixth. He now leads the National League with 27 homers, two better than teammate Chase Utley, and 83 RBIs.

Howard was batting in the .160s in early May, was at .215 coming into this month and was upset after hearing some mild boos from the finicky fans. But the former MVP is 18-for-51 over a 13-game hitting streak that's lifted his average to .234 and he's heard nothing but wild cheers after every deep home run.

While he still leads the league in strikeouts, manager Charlie Manuel said he could live with the whiffs as long as Howard produces runs and hits in big moments. He hit the tiebreaking homer in the eighth inning of Wednesday night's 4-2 victory and set a team record for most RBIs before the All-Star break.

Well, I guess it was too much to expect that the Rangers could take three of four from the Angels.

OTOH, if anyone had told me at the beginning of the season that the Rangers would split a series with the Halo's, I'da laughed my ass off.

Still, OTOH, a split means no ground gained.

Still, OTOH, a split also means no ground lost.

Still, OTOH, that was a helluva comeback they pulled tonight, tying it up after being down by six.

Still, OTOH, it wasn't enough, thanks to that wonderful starting pitching we have..... <_<

Still, OTOH, it proves once again that these guys never give up, signs of a good strong team.

Still, OTOH, if the Rangers had started their relievers (like they did last night), they might not've given up ten runs like that in the first place!

I think I've run outta hands!

Yeah, cuz we haven't discussed the Red Sox or the Yankees in almost ten posts now..... ;):g:P

... or the Rays, and no wonder. What a stinker last night. Holy crap. Their worst loss of the season. They've scored a grand total of three runs their last three games. ... phew ... I sure hope they do something to shake things up at the break. ... Watched the Dodgers dry paint against the Marlins for a while last night. Gave up when it seeped into extra innings. (I think I watch those Dodgers games because it makes me feel good about the Rays offense).

Could the Rays use a bat? Probably. But who are you looking to replace and want out of the lineup?

Personally I think they'll be fine. This is a normal little slump, one they've been remarkably fortunate to avoid all season.

You're probably right, but I can't help but imagine Josh Hamilton in right field! :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Or just an every-day right fielder with a dependable bat. ... Actually, maybe what they really need is a new hitting coach. I don't know much about Henderson, but hitting is certainly the weak link so far. With their aggressiveness once they reach base, if this team could manufacture more runs with some situational hitting, stop hitting into double plays, etc., they'd be even more fun to watch. Right now, just getting somebody on base is an achievement.

Yeah, cuz we haven't discussed the Red Sox or the Yankees in almost ten posts now..... ;):g:P

... or the Rays, and no wonder. What a stinker last night. Holy crap. Their worst loss of the season. They've scored a grand total of three runs their last three games. ... phew ... I sure hope they do something to shake things up at the break. ... Watched the Dodgers dry paint against the Marlins for a while last night. Gave up when it seeped into extra innings. (I think I watch those Dodgers games because it makes me feel good about the Rays offense).

All Star Cliff Lee tossing tonight for the Tribe. The lone bright spot in this nightmare season in Cleveland.

His last 6 starts include the following 3 no decisions:

8 innings, 1 R, against CWS

7.1 innings, 1 R, against LAD

6.1 innings, 2 R, against SD

only one of his last 6 starts did he surrender more than 2 runs, and that was his last outing against MIN where he took his second loss of the season.

The most heinous ND was against Toronto where he threw 9 shutout innings before Betancourt did his best Borowski imitation in the 10th. Oy!

He could easily have 14 wins right now.

...Rays need a bat? Tribe needs a lineup.

Could the Rays use a bat? Probably. But who are you looking to replace and want out of the lineup?

Personally I think they'll be fine. This is a normal little slump, one they've been remarkably fortunate to avoid all season.

You're probably right, but I can't help but imagine Josh Hamilton in right field! :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Or just an every-day right fielder with a dependable bat. ... Actually, maybe what they really need is a new hitting coach. I don't know much about Henderson, but hitting is certainly the weak link so far. With their aggressiveness once they reach base, if this team could manufacture more runs with some situational hitting, stop hitting into double plays, etc., they'd be even more fun to watch. Right now, just getting somebody on base is an achievement.

I can think of a left-handed hitting on-base machine who is available... if you really want to go there.

I can think of a left-handed hitting on-base machine who is available... if you really want to go there.

They're hurtin' man. ... Still searching for a run ... anyone? ... anywhere?

Although they were going against Lee tonight.

Still, terrible.

But ah ... Barry wouldn't fit it, I don't think. We're pretty stacked with left-handed bats, don't ya know.

Edited by papsrus

Does it really matter? Its a fucking wasted day. The MFY get shut out, the Rays get shut out and Buchholz looks just like the putz he was before he was sent down to "work on his fastball command". Did he forget everything? Then the bullpen makes damn sure they won't come back. What a fucking shitty night.

But Lugo just popped a groin/quad/hamstring!

Its not a total loss after all! Lugo out - Lowrie in. Best thing I've heard all day!

Even as Youkilis goes down swinging as the tying run, Lugo is on his way to the DL. Best news since they went on that ill-fated road trip.

Does it really matter? Its a fucking wasted day..... What a fucking shitty night.

Just depends on who you're rooting for: the Rangers shut down a White Sox team whose starting pitcher hadn't given up more than four earned runs in a long time, whereas our starter was bouncing back from a horrible start to go seven innings of brilliant baseball with change-ups that we're foolin' 'em at every swing. Final score: Rangers 7, Sox 2.

Rangers are four games above .500, Kinsler's hitting streak is alive at 23 games, there are four guys in the lineup with averages greater than .300. Summer isn't usually this much fun this time of the year. Maybe.... just maybe.....

So Ryan Howard is the first player since 1948 to lead a league in home runs and RBIs to not make the All Star team.

Tough League for 1B'ers. Pujols, Howard, Berkman, Lee, Fielder... not sure about the others but think the .230 BA, pace for 250 SO's, and low OBP have anything to do with it? :blink:

So Ryan Howard is the first player since 1948 to lead a league in home runs and RBIs to not make the All Star team.

Tough League for 1B'ers. Pujols, Howard, Berkman, Lee, Fielder... not sure about the others but think the .230 BA, pace for 250 SO's, and low OBP have anything to do with it? :blink:

Oh I don't have a problem w/ it. I think Pujols and Berkman definitely should go before Howard and Gonzalez was a good choice. I was just noting that it was the first time in 60 years that the league leader in HRs and RBIs didn't make the team. HOWEVER.... I am wondering why the Cubs' fans voted in Kosuke Fukudome as a starter. A rookie w/ a .281avg, 8HR, & 36 RBIs gets in over Matt Holiday(.343/14/51), Xavier Nady(.320/12/55), Carlos Lee(.293/21/72), etc.? WTF???

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Oh I don't have a problem w/ it. I think Pujols and Berkman definitely should go before Howard and Gonzalez was a good choice. I was just noting that it was the first time in 60 years that the league leader in HRs and RBIs didn't make the team. HOWEVER.... I am wondering why the Cubs' fans voted in Kosuke Fukudome as a starter. A rookie w/ a .281avg, 8HR, & 36 RBIs gets in over Matt Holiday(.343/14/51), Xavier Nady(.320/12/55), Carlos Lee(.293/21/72), etc.? WTF???

I'm with you on Kosuke. I don't get all the hype. Solid player but starting All Star? No way.

Now, ask me if I feel the same way about Ankiel when St. Louisans vote him onto the starting line up... :cool:

Lil' Hank Steinbrenner likes to rant that there is only "Yankees Universe" and no Red Sox Nation or anything like it.

But choices like Fukudome demonstrate that there is an enormous group of Cub fans ready willing and able to come out for one of their own, if they have a reason.

(And of course, four Red Sox were elected starters, only two Yankees - but Red Sox Nation is a crock of shit, doncha know?)

Its not a total loss after all! Lugo out - Lowrie in. Best thing I've heard all day!

Even as Youkilis goes down swinging as the tying run, Lugo is on his way to the DL. Best news since they went on that ill-fated road trip.

I didn't see this , was it in the ninth . i shut the game off at the top of the ninth.

Does it really matter? Its a fucking wasted day. The MFY get shut out, the Rays get shut out and Buchholz looks just like the putz he was before he was sent down to "work on his fastball command". Did he forget everything? Then the bullpen makes damn sure they won't come back. What a fucking shitty night.

I hate to say it , BUT Masterson right now looks like the better pitcher !!!

I didn't see this , was it in the ninth . i shut the game off at the top of the ninth.

And the news continues to be encouraging for those who think Lugo is a complete waste of space:

While running out an infield single with two outs in the ninth inning, Lugo felt his quad “pop” just before hitting first base. He immediately sat on the ground until head trainer Paul Lessard reached the scene.

“I’m really worried because I know it wasn’t something where you just pull a muscle,” Lugo said before limping to his car. “I felt something pop, and that’s what worries me.”

Lugo, who will undergo an MRI today, reported he has never experienced this type of injury nor does he remember ever pulling any kind of muscle.

Until the injury is diagnosed, Alex Cora [stats], who pinch ran for Lugo in the ninth, figures to start at shortstop. If Lugo is placed on the disabled list, the Red Sox most likely will recall Jed Lowrie, who went 0-for-4 last night for Triple-A Pawtucket to drop his average to .268.

Red Sox first base coach Luis Alicea could tell Lugo’s injury was serious immediately.

“I just heard him scream,” Alicea said. “I knew something happened right away.”

Now no one needs to suffer excruciating pain, but in all honesty, my hope is that he will be out for 8 to 12 weeks and in effect misses the rest of the season. Lowrie cannot possibly do worse defensively, and he is miles better than Lugo with the bat: better OBP, better SLG. He can hit the same .265 and it will be a completely different offensive force. He'll hit more doubles, knock in more runs, get on base more often, and generally create fewer outs, which is the last thing you want out of any hitter - being an out machine.

With any luck at all, Lowrie becomes Lou Gehrig to Lugo's Wally Pip.