MLB 2008

Look out bitches, the braves ARE back! :bwallace: And it all starts with the signing of....Julian Tavarez :excited:

Lets see what the stud did with Milwaukee, after being released by the Red Sox....hmmm, last 2 1/3 innings, 8 hits, 3 walks, and 5 runs....oh yeah, we NEED him. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, Chris Resop is no doubt still hitting 98 in Richmond, but we can't risk him coming up.... braves have SFB. Shit for Brains....

Julian Tavarez....the head case? :blink:

Good luck with that.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok Red Sox nation.....heres a very interesting question....would you be willing to give up Kevin Youkilis to have Mark Teixeira?????

again from mlbtraderumors.com

Braves Stuck In The Middle

By Tim Dierkes [July 8 at 4:50pm CST]

MLB.com's Mark Bowman writes about the Braves' trade deadline situation at the Trade Talk blog. The Braves are in that gray area between sellers and buyers at six games out.

Bowman says Braves GM Frank Wren isn't finding a reasonable deal for a power-hitting outfielder, but he's also disappointed by the Mark Teixeira market. Bowman believes the picture will be clearer and the offers better a few weeks from now. He adds that the Braves would seek a first baseman in a Teixeira trade. Perhaps James Loney, Casey Kotchman, or Kevin Youkilis would work.

If the Braves buy, Xavier Nady is one possibility. Bowman wonders if the Bucs could look to reacquire Brent Lillibridge.

I don't believe the Sox would give up Youk, watching him tonight and last night is there a better defensive first basemen in baseball ?..i doubt it.

How are Teixeiras numbers ? ......is he good defensively.

Ok Red Sox nation.....heres a very interesting question....would you be willing to give up Kevin Youkilis to have Mark Teixeira?????

again from mlbtraderumors.com

Braves Stuck In The Middle

By Tim Dierkes [July 8 at 4:50pm CST]

MLB.com's Mark Bowman writes about the Braves' trade deadline situation at the Trade Talk blog. The Braves are in that gray area between sellers and buyers at six games out.

Bowman says Braves GM Frank Wren isn't finding a reasonable deal for a power-hitting outfielder, but he's also disappointed by the Mark Teixeira market. Bowman believes the picture will be clearer and the offers better a few weeks from now. He adds that the Braves would seek a first baseman in a Teixeira trade. Perhaps James Loney, Casey Kotchman, or Kevin Youkilis would work.

If the Braves buy, Xavier Nady is one possibility. Bowman wonders if the Bucs could look to reacquire Brent Lillibridge.

I don't believe the Sox would give up Youk, watching him tonight and last night is there a better defensive first basemen in baseball ?..i doubt it.

How are Teixeiras numbers ? ......is he good defensively.

Tex is very good defensively. Just looked it up, he won the gold glove in 2005, and 2006.

He has 16 HR's and 66 RBI's on pace for 120 RBI's. Hitting .276, (only .243 from the right side, but hitting much better of late from that side)This will be his 5th straight season of more than 100 RBI's. He just turned 28 in April. And he played most of his career in the AL, so no learning curve....

And you keep the Yankees from getting him, if you sign him long term....

What are Teixeira's OBP and OPS numbers? I know his defense is as good as Youk's but he'll never hit for as high an average. Then again, Youk is as old or a year older because he didn't rocket through the system then he was stuck behind Billy Mueller initially, spent a year riding the Pawtucket shuttle, and didn't get started for real til 2006. He also shows a marked tendency to decline in second halves.

So - I don't know, Tex has bigger upside offensively as a big power bat, and he's more established in that role. Keeping him from the Yankees is a nice bonus, but that assumes he would sign a long-term deal. He's a Boras client and they always go to free agency.

I say pass.

Another thing to consider is that you may not be blocking the Yankees because they may not go for Tex. With Posada having three more years on his deal, it is quite possible that they do not want to block his path to first base.

Good point. The other is Teix costs $9 million this year and will want more. Youk doesn't even cost half a mill - he's one of the best bargains in baseball. (Even wealthy teams have to save money somewhere.) It's also a nice option to be able to have him play 3rd or the OF corners, especially in double switch situations in October. Not to jinx you or anything. ;)

Y'all probably need middle relief more than anything (since you're employing Timlin, says the Mariner fan). Though last year's pickup was probably more excitement than you bargained for.

Another thing to consider is that you may not be blocking the Yankees because they may not go for Tex. With Posada having three more years on his deal, it is quite possible that they do not want to block his path to first base.

Good point. The other is Teix costs $9 million this year and will want more. Youk doesn't even cost half a mill - he's one of the best bargains in baseball. (Even wealthy teams have to save money somewhere.) It's also a nice option to be able to have him play 3rd or the OF corners, especially in double switch situations in October. Not to jinx you or anything. ;)

Y'all probably need middle relief more than anything (since you're employing Timlin, says the Mariner fan). Though last year's pickup was probably more excitement than you bargained for.

Actually, after four years service time, Youk is now at 3 million and sure to rise even further going forward. Tex will still cost more but the difference won't be as glaring. But its a good point that Youk has extra value providing a nearly as strong glove at third base and OF corner help in a pinch. If I recall, Teix throws lefty so he's only a 1B, essentially. Youk is a year older, and Tex is the better masher with essentially the same OBP. He'd be the better player but maybe not the better "piece of the puzzle".

And anyway, as far as salary goes, they've let payroll decline the last year and have Schill coming off. They can compete for Teixeira if they choose to - but if I remember correctly, doesn't he have Baltimore connections? With Baltimore doing better to date than anyone expected, I'd say there's a chance they go hard for him to give the fans reason to hope.

As for middle relief, I think they are committed to sticking with Masterson as the internal solution unless something falls in their lap that makes sense or prices go down significantly. I saw that Fuentes guy throw and seriously doubt he is an option - too soft a tosser, and not exactly blow away stuff. But I thought that Gammons report last night that Masterson would throw multiple innings two or three times a week to be frankly strange. I'd rather have him join the bullpen as a regular reliever, in the mix to throw important innings or get critical outs. What use is he if you use him one day for three innings against the Yankees and then can't use him to get a groundball from Jeter or A-Rod when it counts?

I was all ready to post another obnoxious complaint about the incompetent offense when they came alive for a very satisfying come back win last night. With Pettitte regaining his form, the deficit is down to 3. I'm actually cautiously optimistic that we can get the sweep - if Beckett pitches well, I think there's a good chance the bats come alive against the "how the hell does he get people out?" Livan Hernandez. Livan's junk got us in Minnesota but I think at Fenway we'll do better, and obviously the bats are still overdue.

Then it won't matter what happens in the Bronx - either we'd be two back and on the prowl or still three back but the Yanks back where they were. Actually, I'd really rather prefer to pick up a game tonight because the Rays go play the pathetic Indians before the break, and as long as their offense manages three or four runs per game, they'll probably sweep.

I was all ready to post another obnoxious complaint about the incompetent offense when they came alive for a very satisfying come back win last night. With Pettitte regaining his form, the deficit is down to 3. I'm actually cautiously optimistic that we can get the sweep - if Beckett pitches well, I think there's a good chance the bats come alive against the "how the hell does he get people out?" Livan Hernandez. Livan's junk got us in Minnesota but I think at Fenway we'll do better, and obviously the bats are still overdue.

Then it won't matter what happens in the Bronx - either we'd be two back and on the prowl or still three back but the Yanks back where they were. Actually, I'd really rather prefer to pick up a game tonight because the Rays go play the pathetic Indians before the break, and as long as their offense manages three or four runs per game, they'll probably sweep.

What a night YOUK had ,3 hits including a clutch double and then scoring the winning run . And GREAT Defense !!!!!!

KEEP YOUK !!!!!

Anyway if they were gonna trade Youk they would have went after Harden , Billy Beane loves YOUK and would have easily taken him in a trade for Harden !!!!

... Actually, I'd really rather prefer to pick up a game tonight because the Rays go play the pathetic Indians before the break, and as long as their offense manages three or four runs per game, they'll probably sweep.

It's the "three or four runs per game" part that seems to be a recurring problem. I guess Pettitte pitched a good game last night, but it seemed like the Rays went fishing for a lot of stuff off the plate ... swinging at ball four, etc. ... frustrating. And Kaz can't get past the fifth inning with fewer that 100 pitches anymore. Geez.

Edited by papsrus

... Actually, I'd really rather prefer to pick up a game tonight because the Rays go play the pathetic Indians before the break, and as long as their offense manages three or four runs per game, they'll probably sweep.

It's the "three or four runs per game" part that seems to be a recurring problem. I guess Pettitte pitched a good game last night, but it seemed like the Rays went fishing for a lot of stuff off the plate ... swinging at ball four, etc. ... frustrating.

That's Pettitte's game though.

Anyway, Ponson should be the cure for what ails you. :g

Well the bats did come alive but since Beckett was so atrocious at the start, its a bullpen game, 6-4 with a runner on in the sixth. The bats better stay alive because I don't know that the bullpen can get that many outs, plus Papelbon is off after three days in a row. :unsure:

Shit. ... pitching and defense only go so far. We need some damn bats, for crying out loud.

... or ... in other words, "Motherfucking piece of shit ass-wipes couldn't hit a fucking shit-eating beach ball."

hem ... feel a little better now, but not much.

Well the bats did come alive but since Beckett was so atrocious at the start, its a bullpen game, 6-4 with a runner on in the sixth. The bats better stay alive because I don't know that the bullpen can get that many outs, plus Papelbon is off after three days in a row. :unsure:

No WORRIES.......Its 16-5 the SOX are KILLIN them . 2 BACK !!!!!!!!

18-5............ YOUK just HIT one out of the Ballpark !!!!!!!

Yeah, I was right about the bats being due - 18 runs, 23 hits, and the coldest bats getting into the act - Varitek with two hits, Jacoby with four, Manny with two more. Couldn't have come at a better time because I didn't think the bullpen was going to hold that 7-5 lead. Pretty amazing in fact that this was a 7-5 game in the seventh inning, and in fact without the reversal on the trap call, the seven spot they put up wouldn't have happened.

Anyway ... its nice to have a little streak finally coincide with some not quite good enough play by the Rays. If their bats stay cold, they might even lose a couple to the Indians, who are due for a win some day.

But first, let's see the Pirates cool off the Yankees. Usually the team that is forced to make the flight for a makeup game plays like they've got a bus to catch but I doubt that with a little hot streak going the Yanks will do that.

Shit. ... pitching and defense only go so far. We need some damn bats, for crying out loud.

... or ... in other words, "Motherfucking piece of shit ass-wipes couldn't hit a fucking shit-eating beach ball."

hem ... feel a little better now, but not much.

What the hell is up with Upton? He's showing *my* power (he's on my fantasy team and he's KILLING me!).

Wow! Josh Hamilton hits a two-run walk-off homer to help the Rangers beat the Angels for the 2nd night in a row! Kinsler's hitting streak is at 21!

And as if that wasn't enough good news, the Cubbies have the best record in the NL right now with 55 wins!!!

Sweetness!

Wow! Josh Hamilton hits a two-run walk-off homer to help the Rangers beat the Angels for the 2nd night in a row! Kinsler's hitting streak is at 21!

And as if that wasn't enough good news, the Cubbies have the best record in the NL right now with 55 wins!!!

Sweetness!

That must have been something to see, a walk off homer off of K-Rod. Say, a 21 game hitting streak, not bad for an overrated infielder! ^_^

And I see Matt Harrison pitched 7 innings Tuesday for the win, and Salty drove in 2 last night....Wait Til Elvis comes up in a year or so....you guys will really be happy with the Teixiera trade...

But, we will get the last laugh, watching him walk at the end of the year, and getting a late first round pick(And I guess a sandwich pick?) from some contending team. :rolleyes:

With Mike Hampton, Smoltz, and Glavine's salary coming off the books, there's no reason why the Braves couldn't sign him, but he's going to ask(And get) more than the Braves would pay.