MLB 2008

Or could the Sox get prospects out of Florida and flip them for Holliday? I wouldn't want to take us out of the running for Teix in the Fall but I'd rather have Holliday than some scrub from the Marlins.

Anybody else hearing three-way deal with Jason Bay going to BoSox? Manny to Marlins, pending him waiving his no-trade clause ...

I could deal with that result. Bay has similar numbers this season, and has usually had a high OBP and decent SLG percentage. His BA isn't quite like Manny's and he strikes out at a higher rate. But still, he's a solid middle of the lineup bat even if he doesn't bat fourth. And frankly, I am completely fed up with Ramirez for his "the Red Sox don't deserve a great player like me" comment, as well as his claim that they are trying to make him look bad like they supposedly did with Nomar and Pedro. Hey ManRam, you made yourself look bad when you took yourself out of the lineup against the Yankees, a day after NOT coming in for treatment on your supposedly hurting knee.

Plus, isn't Bay still a year from free agency? That makes him trade fodder if they go hard for Teix in the off-season. He'd definitely still have value as someone who is cost controlled and would net some draft picks if he leaves as a free agent after 2009. Whereas, if somehow Holliday was involved, they'd be committed to him longer, and going after Teix would mean sending Youk away.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from Fenway .....aaarrrggghh..UGLY !

At Mannys last at bat some people gave him a standing ovation , BUT most just sat . I think the game was so out

of hand that people were just looking at their cell phones.

Whats up with that ? ,why are all these people paying very good $$$ to sit at Fenway and all they do is text message

look at their i phones ....no one can concentrate .

Of course, I decide to get a new computer, and switch ISP at the same time alll these big trades go down. Plus, my friend Dale sick with ALS, was beaten up so badly after his car broke down in downtown ATL, his was hospitalized for a week(And let go even with an ear still bleeding, and balance issues! :angry: ) has had to stay with us after getting released since his worthless Mother won't let him stay in HIS house!

My problems, and baseball are not that big a deal, all things considered.....But, it's a nice escape.

Still don't know what to make of the Tex trade. I really thought we could get more, with more teams getting into the mix. I know he's considered a rental, but if the Angels re-sign him, it's a very good deal for them. Kotchman looks to be just about as good an infielder, might hit for higher average as well. But, less power, and we are already very weak in that department. Plus some 25 year old pitcher in AA??? Come on! I thought we could at least get Juan Rivera tossed in, but the Angels really need 6 outfielders I guess :wacko:

Now we will trade Ohman for some bag of balls since we can't possibly pay him 3 Mil next year. God I love cheap corp. ownership! If I had a nickel for every time someone said on a braves blog, "Ted, please buy the braves again" I'd have a lot of nickels....

Just got back from Fenway .....aaarrrggghh..UGLY !

At Mannys last at bat some people gave him a standing ovation , BUT most just sat . I think the game was so out

of hand that people were just looking at their cell phones.

A standing ovation is outrageous. The man said they don't deserve a "great player" like him! Yeah, he tried to say he "loves the fans" but that's crap. If you loved the fans you'd suck it up and play when you are needed. You'd play hard the rest of the way, and earn a fucking contract extension, or a big deal from someone else. Gammons says he has a fantasy that he can get 4/100 from someone? Boras must have been on crack when he told him that. And he's never loved the fans anyway - he's bitched and moaned about how hard it is to have a normal life in Boston because of the fans. That's been his complaint all along, and he's asked to be traded how many times? Now he calls ownership to blame? Fuck him.

What I do think Boras said is that right now I can market you as a historically great slugger/run producer. But if you play well enough for the Sox to pick up the option, that becomes harder and harder to do as you get older, because everyone will look at you as someone who's best years are far behind him. So you need to do whatever is necessary to make sure you are a free agent this year - play hard intermittently, show some flashes, then pitch a fit to make sure they trade you. And if they don't trade you, its shut-down mode for the rest of the year. I can excuse that as "Manny Being Manny".

Fuck him.

LETS ALL COMMIT TO THE CUBS!! WHADDAYA SAY!!!!

C'MON! :excited::excited:

Once every 100 years.

Give 'em time. It's still July. They still have two months to fuck the whole thing up.

You know, Paul, after your team overcame an embarrassing history of failure, you'd think you might actually be willing to see the Cubs do the same. But I guess old habits never die.

I would love nothing more than for the Halos to suffer a severe collapse. Not that I think that anyone else in the division could catch them anyway, but bad enough so that if th Rangers continue winning they might make it interesting. In a perfect world, the Rangers would catch fire the rest of the season as the Angels collapse.

Yeah, like that'll happen! :rolleyes:

Still, I'd settle for Tex going into such a horrific slump that his trade value plummets at year-end. Just like former Ranger Gagne. <_<

seems like Texeria is more trouble then he is worth. They were going to run away with the division regardless. However its a good trade since the Angels time is now. It seems that in the playoffs you need two long ball clutch hitters, two elite starters and a great bullpen. Depth in starting rotation, speed (of course being able to create runs certainly helps since your facing elite pitching), defense less so like the regular season.

Angels seem to be the favorites right now for a WS title.

Tex wouldn't know clutch hitting if it bit him on his pompous ass. His avg is good and his OBP is okay, but a lot of times the game is out of reach or meaningless when he gets his HR or whatever. When the game is on the line, when his team really needs him, he buckles. Without fail.

Junior to the White Sox.

At the risk of making a post free of VORP & PECOTA, I'm happy for the guy at getting a shot at the playoffs. And at 39 he's still got a wee bit of pop against righties. So as a platoon player he could be very useful for 'em. So I go from being ambivalent about the ChiSox (as all people born in downstate IL are :lol:) to kinda rooting for them, just for The Kid's sake. :)

No one seems to know if he's going to be part of a platoon or actually go back to CF. I'd agree its nice to see him potentially get a shot at the playoffs and maybe a ring, but after watching him in June, he's just a shell of his former self. You really have to groove one over the plate for him to catch up to it. I think you'll see a lot of opposing managers go ahead and challenge him by walking whoever is in front of him.

And if he is going to play CF, that will be a disaster.

Junior to the White Sox.

At the risk of making a post free of VORP & PECOTA, I'm happy for the guy at getting a shot at the playoffs. And at 39 he's still got a wee bit of pop against righties. So as a platoon player he could be very useful for 'em. So I go from being ambivalent about the ChiSox (as all people born in downstate IL are :lol:) to kinda rooting for them, just for The Kid's sake. :)

Stick to VORP and PECOTA, he's only 38 til November! ;) Dan, you are right, he looked terrible earlier this year, but I have seen some hits of late(And just checking his stats, he's got a 12 game hitting streak right now)and his swing looks better. He hit a 91-93 MPH fastball last night for a homer...not saying he can hit 97 MPH still, but he is one of those rise to the occation kind of guys....Does Quintin have a good enough arm for right??? He's played some center, correct?? Griffey would be a very good left fielder...if he could pick it up on the fly, so to speak. I saw that he still has a good arm, from a play at the plate the other day...

Edited by BERIGAN

"the Nation" are you really going to be stuck with Manny??? Shoot, at this point, I'd release him and sign Bonds....Bonds at least didn't skip days because of who was pitching. That Gammons column was just brutal on him....I'd rather have a roid guy(We sure know he wasn't alone) Or anyone else than I guy who continues to just flat out quit......He just flat out disgusts me now...

"the Nation" are you really going to be stuck with Manny??? Shoot, at this point, I'd release him and sign Bonds....Bonds at least didn't skip days because of who was pitching. That Gammons column was just brutal on him....I'd rather have a roid guy(We sure know he wasn't alone) Or anyone else than I guy who continues to just flat out quit......He just flat out disgusts me now...

I wanted him gone but at the right price. It appears that the Marlins wanted more money and more prospects, which is ridiculous when you consider we lose two picks by not keeping him until he leaves via free agency.

The problem with Bonds (beyond the obvious) is that its August - when does he get ready and how do you know he can still play at all? I'll tell you what though, if Manny shuts it down, then they might as well go for Bonds as the only option that no one could block. Because if they get a trade in place, they won't get Manny through waivers, because there will always be teams that will want to block his appearance in their division, plus they won't know if the Sox would just let him go and let them pay him the rest of the way. Of course that isn't the worst move since they'd get the draft picks next year.

As Olney said on ESPN, this can get ugly now. How do you get Manny to play? Can Boras now convince him that the only way to make sure he gets a decent contract is to suck it up and play like he cares, show he's a team guy in the end? Do you recruit Papi or Varitek or Lugo or Lowell to tell him to shut his mouth and play? That could work or it could backfire. I can see Manny not giving a shit the rest of the way, the team slides out of the playoffs, and that's it. Which wouldn't be the very worst thing except for the possibility that his stats won't get us "A" compensation for him.

EDIT to say that the Globe is reporting that a deal has gone down. If they blinked and included decent prospects like Bard or heaven help us, Masterson, I am going to be PISSED.