MLB 2008

The baseball tonight I recorded via DVR started way late(1:30 AM) so I only saw the Brewers and Mets highlights, didn't know about the ChiSox! Where oh where is Jazzypaul???

Kind of hard for me to root for the Twins or Sox. The Twins traded away Santana, and got less than they should have for him. Traded away Matt Garza. Amazing what they are doing, no doubt, but I feel like as always, they cry poor while drawing pretty well....imagine how different theirs and the Red Sox fate would be if they hadn't been so cheap as to release Ortiz many moons ago???

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ortiz had to get away from the Twins organization to succeed. They didn't understand what they had with him and trained him in the Twins way to play the game. So, for instance, early in his career with a runner on second and no outs, he took a mighty rip and flied out to RF. Then he got an earful about why his job was to ground to the right side to get the runner to third base. So his first year in Boston, same situation, he grounds to the right side, and I'm not sure if it was Grady Little or Theo but someone took him aside and said, "you gotta knock that runner in!"

Now things might have been different if, say, the Yankees had signed him when he was released.

And speaking of the Yanks, wouldn't it also be nice if the Twins send Santana to the NL yet still make the playoffs, while the team that got him gets there too and at the same time, while the Yanks come up goose-eggs with the young players they held onto, the Sox go to the playoffs with their young players playing key roles?

That would really chap Hankie's hide.

Their win, and the Mets win, were something else! Not much of a Mutts fan, but I will feel sorry for them or the Brewers, whoever doesn't make it.

Oh man, I'm just hoping that the Phils can hang on somehow. The way that they have been playing the last two games I would not be surprised if they end up the odd man out.

Here's an encouraging stat from the Globe:

Beginning July 23, the day Justin Masterson made his first relief appearance, Sox relievers Masterson, Manny Delcarmen, Hideki Okajima, Javier Lopez and Jonathan Papelbon – the big five of the Boston bullpen – have a combined ERA of 1.91.

That's good, because with the unknown health status of Drew and Lowell, they may have to rely on the pitching staff to get them through to another championship.

Nice for the Yanks to help the stumbling Rays out and make sure in a laugher that the Red Sox are the WC who now must play the team with the best record in baseball, the Angels. :rolleyes:

I'm too lazy to find the link but that Dayn dude at Foxsports.com had an interesting nugget of information - teams with the best record in the league have like a .468 winning percentage in the playoffs. The teams with a winning record in playoffs are the ones with the highest strength of schedule. That suggests that the ALCS should be Boston and Tampa, as fattening up on Seattle and Oakland doesn't really make the Angels any better, it just proves that they are a lot better than their division competition is.

And it was certainly a bad night at the Fens - an embarrassing defeat when the Rays are seemingly trying to give away the division, but more importantly, Lowell again tweaked his hip and seems unlikely to be able to help. This on top of the fact that after playing three innings on Wednesday, Drew again has back pain, so they again sent him for a battery of tests to make sure he isn't more seriously injured.

We've played .650 ball since Manny was traded, and in the prolonged absence of Lowell and Drew, and now we'll have to find out if we can keep it up against the best teams left. I'm not optimistic but I find it interesting that the Angels picked the longer series schedule with the extra off-days, meaning that the top three starters is all you'll need. Yeah, they've got pretty good starters, but so do the Sox. I would think that Weaver/Garland would be an advantage over Wake/Byrd, they should have gone with the shorter schedule. And if Lackey goes in Game 1, that sends him out at his personal house of horrors, Fenway for Game 4, his one strong start this season notwithstanding.

Fixed.

Nice for the Yanks to help the stumbling Rays out and make sure in a laugher that the Red Sox are the WC who now must play the team with the best record in baseball, the Angels, who they OWN in October. :excited:

Like this means jack shit. Didn't the Yankees once "own" the Red Sox? Did that ensure victory? For that matter, the Sox once lost like a dozen playoff games in a row, and everyone "owned" them. Did that continue?

What's past is past. There's absolutely no guarantee that the recent stretch of success against the Angels in October will continue. In fact, its more likely to end than to continue, because strong teams don't lose over and over and over and over without end.

Oops, sorry, I forgot they have the edge in the all-important category of "experience". Like key players Bay, Lowrey, Masterson ... they've all got tons of playoff experience. Better book those duck boats now! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fixed.

Nice for the Yanks to help the stumbling Rays out and make sure in a laugher that the Red Sox are the WC who now must play the team with the best record in baseball, the Angels, who they OWN in October. :excited:

Like this means jack shit. Didn't the Yankees once "own" the Red Sox? Did that ensure victory? For that matter, the Sox once lost like a dozen playoff games in a row, and everyone "owned" them. Did that continue?

What's past is past. There's absolutely no guarantee that the recent stretch of success against the Angels in October will continue. In fact, its more likely to end than to continue, because strong teams don't lose over and over and over and over without end.

Oops, sorry, I forgot they have the edge in the all-important category of "experience". Like key players Bay, Lowrey, Masterson ... they've all got tons of playoff experience. Better book those duck boats now! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gee, Dan, guess we're making each other's arguments now. Or are you just trying to be an ass hat? Either way, mission accomplished.

THE PHILS WIN THE NL EAST!!!!

Is Robin Roberts still with the team? :mellow:

No, I believe she's anchoring the WGN-TV news.

Ah, the old sex change trick. :excited:

When I first got cable I tuned into ESPN and they announced that Robin Roberts was up next, so I thought the ex-pitcher had a gig there. Instead it was the female Robin Roberts! She did a great job.

Can Sabathia save the Brewers "bacon" tomorrow on 3 days rest?!?

We'll see.

Which Oliver Perez shows up for the Mets today, the one that can pitch 8 innings with two hits and 9Ks, or the one that pitches 4 innings with 6 walks? Massive clutch performance by Santana yesterday, complete game shutout knowing his bullpen is bull----.

We'll see.

Which Oliver Perez shows up for the Mets today, the one that can pitch 8 innings with two hits and 9Ks, or the one that pitches 4 innings with 6 walks? Massive clutch performance by Santana yesterday, complete game shutout knowing his bullpen is bull----.

H threw a decent game though those late inning runs may be too much to overcome...

"Let me tell you this: Without Santana, we felt as a team that we have a chance to win in our division. With him now, I have no doubt that we're going to win in our division," Beltran said. "So this year, to Jimmy Rollins -- we are the team to beat!"

-- Mets center fielder Carlos Beltran Feb. 16, 2008

We'll see.

I feel sorry for the Mets fans, I am just an old softie. I have been there too many times. Perhaps their GM will learn next year a (good)bullpen is important! :rolleyes: Braves thought for years it wasn't that big a deal, and kept getting bit in the ass by it...Smoltz would have won 20 Games in 2007 with a good one. and Santana was 16-7 for the year, 2.53 ERA, best in the league. Why so little Cy Young talk for him??? His bullpen blew 7 games for him.

Better not be Webb this year. Lincecum, Sabathia, or Santana, should be the choices, IMHO....