MLB 2008

The problem with that is, if both teams are in, unless there is an obvious advantage, matchup-wise, two teams that are in regardless of the outcome aren't going to waste the guy they want to use in Game 1 on this "tie-breaking" game. It would likely be a cross between a "bullpen game" and a mid-March tilt in Fort Myers: a lot of scrubs, a lot of swinging at the first pitch.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any predictions?

ALCS

TB

LAA

LAA IN 6

NLCS

MIL

CHC

MIL IN 6

WS WINNER

LAA IN 6

ALDS -- Boston in 5, Tampa Bay in 4

NLDS -- Chicago in 4, Philadelphia in 4

ALCS -- Boston in 6

NLCS -- Chicago in 6

WS -- Boston in 6

Strange to say but that's my nightmare scenario. My Father is 82 and in declining health; my Mom is 75 and been dealing with an uncontrolled spike in her blood pressure. They've rooted for the Cubs since long, long before I was born. The Cubs making it to the World Series and then losing at the hands of my favorite team - there'd be no joy in that.

So I'm first hoping that the Cubs win it all by defeating the Rays or Angels (no chance in hell the Chisox make it); second scenario is for the Sox to repeat by defeating someone other than the Cubs (wouldn't mind a Sox-Dodgers Series, Manny will deserve a very rude reception). Third preference is the Cubs over the Sox and the worst outcome aside from both teams losing early is the Sox over the Cubs.

Don't know who's going to win what, but I'm thinking the Brewers might be very dangerous in a short series. I'm liking them as a dark horse.

I hope you're right. I'd love the Rays/Brewers series, but I'd REALLY love to have the Sox meet up with the Brewers and exact some revenge for the late-70s/early-80s matchups!

That Home Run by MANNY was unbelievable , what a piece of hitting !!!!!!!!

That was a good pitch and he just went down , kept his balance and The Distance that it traveled was friggin' unbelievable!

And he hustled down the line on one play !!!! ( of course i was NOT happy about that , because i never remember him hustling like that for the Sox ).

Open thanks to MLB for the asinine decision to schedule the Sox series West Coast primetime so that no one with a job or academic obligations could see a single pitch. Selig doesn't get it. The game is not as popular among young fans, yet they continue to schedule broadcasts so late as to eliminate the possibility of reversing that trend. :rolleyes:

The problem is the decision to give the rights to a single cable channel. It used to be in this round there would be games played at the same time, or under slightly staggered schedules, so you had to choose, but everything got started at a semi-reasonable hour.

Not sure if that win was more talent or fortune (Lackey making exactly one bad pitch, Vladi's baserunning adventure (has anyone checked his birth certificate? Whatever he says, add ten years unless proven otherwise)) but I'll take it. Thom's prediction may actually come through now, particularly with a rematch in Game 4. Lester has been lights out at Fenway, aside from one or two starts, Lackey has gotten pounded. I like the rematch a lot more at the Fens.

The problem is the decision to give the rights to a single cable channel. It used to be in this round there would be games played at the same time, or under slightly staggered schedules, so you had to choose, but everything got started at a semi-reasonable hour.

Not sure if that win was more talent or fortune (Lackey making exactly one bad pitch, Vladi's baserunning adventure (has anyone checked his birth certificate? Whatever he says, add ten years unless proven otherwise)) but I'll take it. Thom's prediction may actually come through now, particularly with a rematch in Game 4. Lester has been lights out at Fenway, aside from one or two starts, Lackey has gotten pounded. I like the rematch a lot more at the Fens.

TALENT all around ( remember Ellsbury in the WS last year!) and experience !

Funny part was in the late innings the broadcasters ( who i thought were good ) were talking about the Angels and their 100 victories. Then one of them said ..."remember the Sox are the defending World Champions "

If this was the yanks they would be talking non stop about them being champs and blah blah blah.....

If it was talent, its still going to take a good bit of fortune the rest of the way. Lowell looks terrible and even if Drew stays healthy, he's looking like its March 1st and the first BP of the spring.

As for Ellsbury, we're just incredibly lucky that he finally found his way with the stick last month.

Open thanks to MLB for the asinine decision to schedule the Sox series West Coast primetime so that no one with a job or academic obligations could see a single pitch. Selig doesn't get it. The game is not as popular among young fans, yet they continue to schedule broadcasts so late as to eliminate the possibility of reversing that trend. :rolleyes:

I had no problem with it ;)

Well, even though the Cubbies and Angels never got off the bus last night, they are still my picks to go all the way to the World Series this year.

I don't think the Cubs are going anywhere , they looked flat yesterday . Also i don't care what anyone says

BUT the Manager in baseball matters in the playoffs and Torre will out manage Piniella , who is the most overated

manager in the game !

Manny Matters .....he is that good , i still don't understand why he is running hard down the first base line, he never did that in 8 years here in Boston .....he never ran that hard !

If it was talent, its still going to take a good bit of fortune the rest of the way. Lowell looks terrible and even if Drew stays healthy, he's looking like its March 1st and the first BP of the spring.

As for Ellsbury, we're just incredibly lucky that he finally found his way with the stick last month.

I have to disagree with you there Dan, Remy keeps talking about the work Ellsbury did with Dave Madigan, i think

its more hard work that paid off than Luck ! ....oh i see you said we are lucky .....i still say this kid has a ton of talent and he

is still a rookie .

What is really impressive about the Red Sox is in fact how poised their Rookies are ...think about it even Masterson last night

didn't panic , Lester acts like he is a ten year veteran.

Edited by zen archer

The growth of Jon Lester is very impressive. Last year he likely wouldn't have gone back for the 7th (or even the 6th) but he has stopped nibbling. I thought there was a chance that Tito wouldn't let him come out for the 7th due to pitch count which would have driven me up a wall. I agree the commentators were not bad last night, they get points right off the baT for not being Joe Morgan or Tim McCarver. The talk here in New England on sports talk radio is that Beckett is still iffy for Sunday.

On another matter, I was just watching ESPN and a commentator, Rob Parker, made reference to Boston running Manny Ramirez out of town. How can someone accept a paycheck for commenting on sports and have such a wrong headed notion. I will never believe anything else this guy says, ever.

The growth of Jon Lester is very impressive. Last year he likely wouldn't have gone back for the 7th (or even the 6th) but he has stopped nibbling. I thought there was a chance that Tito wouldn't let him come out for the 7th due to pitch count which would have driven me up a wall. I agree the commentators were not bad last night, they get points right off the baT for not being Joe Morgan or Tim McCarver. The talk here in New England on sports talk radio is that Beckett is still iffy for Sunday.

On another matter, I was just watching ESPN and a commentator, Rob Parker, made reference to Boston running Manny Ramirez out of town. How can someone accept a paycheck for commenting on sports and have such a wrong headed notion. I will never believe anything else this guy says, ever.

What is really strange about Beckett is that he traveled with the team to Anaheim ?

A 5 hour flight out and then a 5 hour flight back ?.....that can't help his injury ?

Now that Lester gets stronger the later he goes, and because he's a big strong kid to begin with, they seem comfortable letting him pitch. I can't say for sure but my strong suspicion is that he had the highest average pitch per start on the staff, and that added up to leading the team in innings, I believe. He simply took to heart the advice of getting into a good tempo, don't think, just trust your stuff, and he turned into an elite pitcher in one season. The team had more shutouts when he pitched than any other pitcher in the majors. Obviously that starts with 7-8 innings from him most days.

Just imagine if we had given up him, Masterson, Lowrey and Coco for Santana! Twins wouldn't have missed the playoffs, and we probably would have. And beyond that, Lester, Lowrey and Masterson are just getting started reaching their potential.

And Zen, all of their medical staff and coaching staff is in L.A. Do you want him rehabbing and throwing alone in Boston with no one "in the know" watching him to really determine if he's ready? Its not a back injury, its his oblique, and it didn't occur on a throw, it occurred on a deep breath, and almost immediately felt better. It has to be a minor strain because there is no way they'd even talk about him pitching so soon otherwise. We'll know more when he throws his bullpen today, in front of the pitching coach and Tito (and to Varitek, who will have his own perception to share). That being said, its possible that if they win Friday night, you could see Wakefield or Byrd pitch Game 3. They could choose to take it slow on Josh if they feel comfortable that the series is in hand, so that he can start Game 1 of the ALCS.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.