Charlton Heston has passed

Dan Gould: "That's a crock of shit, Chris. You questioned the authenticity of the photograph to cast doubts on Heston's involvement in the Civil Rights movement. 7/4 established that the photo is legit, Porcy noted that Heston's involvement in Civil Rights is being noted in obits.

Tell me I'm wrong. Or why don't you explain your purpose in casting doubts on the photos in the first place? Its an incontrovertible fact that Heston worked for Civil Rights in the sixties, if you are aware of that fact, why did you/do you question the authenticity of the photographs?"

Oh. so you are a mindreader now? It looks as if you are trying to start some controversy here, but--sorry, Dan--it ain't gonna work. If it makes you happy, you just go on thinking whatever you want. :D

Fine Chris but rest assured that everyone here knows exactly what you were saying with your "photoshop" comment.

He was saying the photo was Photoshopped aka doctored. :blink:

He was saying the photo was photoshopped aka doctored aka Heston wasn't there aka Heston was an unreformed Republican bigot, like all the rest.

Yep.

The photo wasn't fixed, Chris got that bit wrong. Heston did support civil rights although Heston became - like you said - a Republican bigot later.

Or he was a Republican bigot who supported civil rights.

At any rate, you're right Dan - Heston was a Republican bigot.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good riddance. A few years back I witnessed a drive-by shooting involving gangbangers from my front window. They used a handgun. It was a sunny Sunday afternoon. It was summer and there were alot of people on the street. Mr.Heston was president of the NRA at that time.

Good riddance. A few years back I witnessed a drive-by shooting involving gangbangers from my front window. They used a handgun. It was a sunny Sunday afternoon. It was summer and there were alot of people on the street. Mr.Heston was president of the NRA at that time.

But were the gangbangers NRA members?

Yeah, that was obviously his fucking fault.

I can't wait til the Supreme Court, by a 6-3 or perhaps 7-2 vote, finds that the Second Amendment does in fact ensure an individual's right to bear arms. Then you'll have a whole 'nother group of people to insanely blame for gun violence.

"there may have been a tradition of beefy stiff guys at New Trier"

hmmmm...must have been a wild time in the shower room after gym -

This is in poor taste.

and you give me a hard time about my joking comments ! ?

I guess it is just that old double standard that is AllenLowe. <_<

Sorry, Dan--you are having a bad day, aren't you?--was it Charles Heston who gave you that inside dope on WMDs in pre-Bushed Iraq?

:rolleyes:

I remember him now, he was great in "Bowling for Columbine", and who could ever forget that wonderful NRA "cold dead hands" moment--a keeper, if ever there was one. :rofl:

Edited by Christiern

I met Heston once at my son's pre-school. He was with his grandson. Introduced himself as Chuck. Fortunately we didn't discuss politics. The first time I ever read the word icon in reference to a person was an article about Heston in the '60s British film magazine "Movie". It was an auterist magazine and I think Pauline Kael once made fun of that reference to Heston back in the days when she was attacking auteurism. (ie Before she decided james Toback was an auteur).

If I had doubts about Heston participating positively in the Civil Rights movement, I would have said so--why on earth should I suddenly start posting innuendos? Besides, to me, the photo looked doctored and that conclusion was drawn without regard to who it depicts. What's with the paranoia? I expect that from Dan, but Moose???? :huh:

Keep paddling, Chris. :rolleyes:

But don't forget to read the posts before Conrad stepped in to say something positive about Heston, and what your response was. Moose understood it and agrees with me and Lord knows that doesn't happen very often.

Its just as telling when you never came back to even simply post "I stand corrected" let alone, "I stand corrected and certainly wasn't trying to imply that Heston didn't offer his support for Civil Rights, it was one of the few things I respected him for".

Its your inability to acknowledge that you are wrong that made me post today. Something that you do considerable frequency, and when you get called on it, the people who are troubled by it are always the wrong parties. Never you. Always them.

All this fuss...as if Chris called Heston a Republican bigot. Check this out:

Heston was a proud member of the Peanut Butter Lovers Hall of Fame...

Apr 7 2008 11:33AM

Associated Press

Washington (AP) He played Moses and was head of the NRA, but no accomplishment pleased Charlton Heston more than being a member of the Peanut Butter Lovers Hall of Fame.

Heston told AP Radio in 1987 that peanut butter is "a valuable creative contribution to American society, as important as mom and sliced bread." He was just as conservative when it came to peanut butter as he was with politics. Heston ate his plain on bread or an English muffin. He said he didn't go for the "radical combinations" like peanut butter and bananas.

After hearing that a reporter's wife put dill pickles on her peanut butter, Heston shivered and said, "that's probably a KGB plot."

How you can get into a hissy fit over nothing is truly amazing. If I "stand corrected" on anything, it is my belief (probably wrong) that the picture is doctored. So? How you can weave that into some kind of anti-right nonsense is beyond me, but this wouldn't be the first time you misinterpreted things. BTW, I never asked you to apologize for calling me all sorts of foul names when you were wrong about the WMDs, did I? Nor should I have--we all have differing opinions and there is nothing wrong with that, but don't start making stuff up just to stir up controversy. I think you need to cool off and re-read this thread, but try to do it with an open mind, and ask yourself why I would in such a devious manner express a disbelief in Heston's past moment of decency. I'm sure he did get involved in the Civil Rights movement--good for him--but that is not going to change the way I feel about his failure to see the need to ban assault weapons on Main Street. Anyone who so blindly supports the NRA lobby is a fool, IMHO, and you underestimate my forthrightness when you start reading hidden messages into my posts.

Keep this going, if it gets you off, but I've had enough of your twisted deductions.

Edited by Christiern

How you can get into a hissy fit over nothing is truly amazing. If I "stand corrected" on anything, it is my belief (probably wrong) that the picture is doctored. So? How you can weave that into some kind of anti-right nonsense is beyond me, but this wouldn't be the first time you misinterpreted things. BTW, I never asked you to apologize for calling me all sorts of foul names when you were wrong about the WMDs, did I? Nor should I have--we all have differing opinions and there is nothing wrong with that, but don't start making stuff up just to stir up controversy. I think you need to cool off and re-read this thread, but try to do it with an open mind, and ask yourself why I would in such a devious manner express a disbelief in Heston's past moment of decency. I'm sure he did get involved in the Civil Rights movement--good for him--but that is not going to change the way I feel about his failure to see the need to ban assault weapons on Main Street. Anyone who so blindly supports the NRA lobby is a fool, IMHO, and you underestimate my forthrightness when you start reading hidden messages into my posts.

Keep this going, if it gets you off, but I've had enough of your twisted deductions.

Unbelievable that even now, you can only bring yourself to say that your belief that the picture is doctored is "probably wrong".

Let's run it down:

four out of six initial posts were negative.

Conrad posted an image of Heston at a Civil Rights rally to counteract the stated opinions that he was an evil warmonger.

You immediately declared the picture a poor photoshop job.

Immediately thereafter 7/4 established beyond any doubt that the picture was legitimate.

Now, if you knew that Heston was an early supporter of the civil rights movement, why was your immediate reaction to cast doubts on the validity of the photo? Why cast doubts on it at all? If you knew he was a civil rights supporter, you'd know that as one of the biggest movie stars of the age, there would be plenty of photographs of him at civil rights marches and events.

No, you chose to declare that the photo was fake.

And the problem that you can't get passed is that people like Mark, who are inclined to agree with you when it comes to whether most Republicans are evil, saw your post exactly the same way that I did.

But you are blameless Chris. Always blameless.

You immediately declared the picture a poor photoshop job.

Immediately thereafter 7/4 established beyond any doubt that the picture was legitimate.

I kinda doubt it myself, but I found it on the Internet, so it must be true.

He said he didn't go for the "radical" "liberal" combinations like peanut butter and bananas.

After hearing that a reporter's wife put dill pickles on her peanut butter, Heston shivered and said, "that's probably a KGB plot."

He said he didn't go for the "radical" "liberal" combinations like peanut butter and bananas.

:lol: