Morgan/Shorter Vee Jay Box

I've been thinking about trying to find a copy of the oop Lee Morgan/Wayne Shorter Vee Jay Mosaic (e.g. on ebay). However, all the albums that are included on that set have been re-issued as individual cds. So, my question is: what to do?

Buying the individual cds would be cheaper, but I wonder about the sound. Is there anyone who can comment on the sound of either the cd reissues or the mosaic set, or both? Also, I think there are alternate tracks that are only available on the Mosaic set, so that's an issue. Plus there's the Mosaic Booklet vs. original liner notes issue. I'm rather torn, so any advice anyone might give me would be very much appreciated.

I've had several versions of the individual cds and the sound on the Mosaic is better, but the individual cds (especially the Blue Moon versions) are pretty darned nice sounding.

Yes, there's a few more takes in the Mosaic set. But you could live with the individual cds and not look back, honest.

The sound of this Mosaic box (as with the Kelly/Chambers) is very good indeed. The only possible 'negative' for some might be the multitude of alternative takes - I'm glad to have them. Not sure about the sound on the individual CD option.

Agree, Kelly/Chambers is even worse about alt. takes.

The Koch reissues of these sound perfectly good, and some of them are still easily available, I think. The Frank Strozier/Booker Little date was also included in the Mosaic set and is a must.

That Strozier/Little is terrific & a must, but it too is available as an individual CD (or maybe you're saying that - sorry, it's late when I'm posting.) Happily this is a case where either option is good quality.

Edited by Quincy

Well, thanks very much everyone. I guess if there isn't a considerable difference in sound quality (which is the impression I'm getting) then I'm inclined to save my money and pick up the individual cds.

By the way, what is the "Frank Strozier/Booker Little date"? The set includes the "Young Lions" album which features Strozier (but not Little). Am I missing something?

Well, thanks very much everyone. I guess if there isn't a considerable difference in sound quality (which is the impression I'm getting) then I'm inclined to save my money and pick up the individual cds.

By the way, what is the "Frank Strozier/Booker Little date"? The set includes the "Young Lions" album which features Strozier (but not Little). Am I missing something?

e37904yhhz9.jpg

the Mosaic sounds great but i imagine the Blue Moons or others might also sound good. they're actually 24 bit as well. so you might get the CDs if budget's an issue.

but whatever you do get ready for lots of goodness. especially with the Young Lions session, one of my favourite hard bop albums. just listened to it the other day.

the Mosaic sounds great but i imagine the Blue Moons or others might also sound good. they're actually 24 bit as well. so you might get the CDs if budget's an issue.

but whatever you do get ready for lots of goodness. especially with the Young Lions session, one of my favourite hard bop albums. just listened to it the other day.

Second that. :tup I sure love this music.

Though I've got the Mosaic, I've considered getting the Koch re-issues of the Morgan/Shorter Vee-Jay albums just for the covers.

Though I've got the Mosaic, I've considered getting the Koch re-issues of the Morgan/Shorter Vee-Jay albums just for the covers.

Indeed, though I can't understand how can really appreciate covers on that small cd, you deserve something bigger and better, get a vinyl. :cool:

Indeed, though I can't understand how can really appreciate covers on that small cd, you deserve something bigger and better, get a vinyl. :cool:

Mine's just a tiny little pixel and light construct in my iPod, but it's cute ^_^

I guess the next question is where to start with the albums included in the set? There's one vote for The Young Lions, so far . . .

I'd go with Lee Morgan's "Expoobident." It's one of my favorite Vee-Jays. I already had the excellent Blue Moon Vee-Jays when the Mosaics came out, so (rarely for me) didn't go with the Mosaics. I think the sound on the Blue Moons is excellent, and there are lots of alternate takes, plus, as others have mentioned, some of the cool original album covers.

Greg M.

To my ears the Blue Moons sound terrible. The fact they are 24 Bit doesn't say a thing since they are "remastered" from not original sources. The Mosaic set is a revelation when it comes to sound. I've had multiple Japanese versions as well and the Mosaic smokes them all.

Yes, the cover of Introducing Wayne Shorter has super-sharp color photography of Wayne and tenor.

That's the one! Probably my favorite of those covers. Vinyl or CD, someday it will be mine...oh yes! It will.

:)

To my ears the Blue Moons sound terrible. The fact they are 24 Bit doesn't say a thing since they are "remastered" from not original sources. The Mosaic set is a revelation when it comes to sound. I've had multiple Japanese versions as well and the Mosaic smokes them all.

Really?! They always sounded pretty good to these old ears, but then it occurs to me I've never heard any other version, so I'll take your word for it. I'm sure not going to diss Mosaic! Part of my reason for not getting the Mosaics was just economic. I'd bought a bunch of the Blue Moons and didn't want to duplicate. Maybe I should have!

Greg M.

• 2 years later...

Since this discussion a couple of years ago, I've since picked up most of the albums included on the Shorter/Morgan and Chambers/Kelly Mosaic sets. I went with the Blue Moon Reissues and I find the sound really hit and miss.

For instance, Here's Lee Morgan, Expoobident, and Introducing Wayne Shorter all sound pretty great. But Second Genesis sounds pretty bad, and Kelly Great sounds terrible. Does anyone know if there are serious variations with respect to the sound of the original recordings? Is this variability of sound quality present on the Mosaic boxes?

As I've stated in the earlier postings the Mosaic sets are the only ones to use the original analog tapes. All the other versions on the market use either LP copies as a source or inferior second generation tapes. I can't comment on the orginal LP's (never heard them).