Sports: 2008 NBA Playoffs

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed Bill Belichick was at the game.

I didn't see him, but that would explain why there were so many close-up shots of Phil Jackson & the Lakers bench during timeouts. :)

I think his attention was more likely focused on the handsome woman who had accompanied him to the game.

Edited by connoisseur series500

I didn't think the Lakers would get past the Spurs, but Manu Ginobili was hobbled. I complained about the lack of defense since the Gasol trade, the Lakers were really just outscoring teams who couldn't match up, much like the Phoenix Suns of the last few years. The Celtics, on the other hand, created match up problems for the Lakers. Between the Big Three and all those big men they have to clog up the paint, the Lakers offense wasn't overwhelming and defensively all their weaknesses were exposed. Still, the Lakers had a very good chance to win two of the games which they lost in the Finals--the closing game was not indicative of how competitive the series was as a whole.

Edited by Noj

Still, the Lakers had a very good chance to win two of the games which they lost in the Finals--the closing game was not indicative of how competitive the series was as a whole.

I was thinking this the other day. Celtics were fairly lucky to cling to their Game 2 victory. Lose that one and the whole tenor of the series changes. Maybe the pressure on them is a bit higher and they don't believe in themselves quite so much. Maybe they don't get the miracle comeback in Game 4. A few commentators have said that Bynum would have made all the difference in the series. Don't know about that, but if he is healthy next year, and the two teams meet again, that will definitely be something to watch.

Still, the Lakers had a very good chance to win two of the games which they lost in the Finals--the closing game was not indicative of how competitive the series was as a whole.

I was thinking this the other day. Celtics were fairly lucky to cling to their Game 2 victory. Lose that one and the whole tenor of the series changes.

No it was planned. The Celtics are lucky that they are big market team and Stern told the refs to make sure the series goes at least six games as the last the 3 finals have been dogs and have had low ratings. I am not saying the Celtics probably weren't the better team (I can't say for sure as I stopped watching after game two) but there is no way if you have an ounce of objectivity that you can't see that game 2 was fixed, and this is coming from a life long Laker hater. To go with the allegations from the 02 playoffs with the Lakers and Kings I am done with the NBA if I can't be sure that the games aren't fixed or scripted. I might as well watch professional wrestling.

Stern needs to step down, it took him years to allow a zone defense, he still has the stupid 3 second rule (you seriously can't tell me the best athletes in the world couldn't score points by changing this rule, hell if the other coach wants to put 3 statues under the basket let him), the 11th through 16th best teams record wise didn't make the playoffs this year because they were in the West and last year didn't Stern force the players to play with plastic basketballs? Next year look for Nascar advertising on the shorts.

Great game but it needs real leadership and some common sense as opposed to just being about the money.

Edited by WorldB3

he still has the stupid 3 second rule (you seriously can't tell me the best athletes in the world couldn't score points by changing this rule, hell if the other coach wants to put 3 statues under the basket let him)

They could score, but it would be all perimeter shooting. Boring. The NBA is all about getting the inside game working. You sell posters of slam dunks. You don't sell posters of outside shooting.

he still has the stupid 3 second rule (you seriously can't tell me the best athletes in the world couldn't score points by changing this rule, hell if the other coach wants to put 3 statues under the basket let him)

They could score, but it would be all perimeter shooting. Boring. The NBA is all about getting the inside game working. You sell posters of slam dunks. You don't sell posters of outside shooting.

I doubt it, its all bout getting face time, if you can dunk over someone you get an even bigger poster. Think John Starks and Barron Davis playoff dunks.

I doubt it, its all bout getting face time, if you can dunk over someone you get an even bigger poster. Think John Starks and Barron Davis playoff dunks.

Yes, but if the big man camps out under the basket and has better position, you would see far fewer of these dunks. Of course there would still be some. If the coach puts two big men in there clogging up the lane, you aren't going to have any dunks, just a bunch of trips to the foul line.

Yes, but if the big man camps out under the basket and has better position, you would see far fewer of these dunks. Of course there would still be some. If the coach puts two big men in there clogging up the lane, you aren't going to have any dunks, just a bunch of trips to the foul line.

We will have to agree to disagree but I think its boring when you have uncontested dunks. Anybody can dunk when your guy clears out of the lane to not get called the for the 3 second rule. It was even worse back before they allowed zones. I couldn't stand the isolation game that was so popular during Jordan's time when you had a guy hold on to his dribble for 15 sseconds and wait for everybody to clear out.

If you can make your shots people will have to come out from under the basket to defend you. Then again maybe I spent too many years watching Nellie ball and the point forward.

We will have to agree to disagree but I think its boring when you have uncontested dunks. Anybody can dunk when your guy clears out of the lane to not get called the for the 3 second rule. It was even worse back before they allowed zones. I couldn't stand the isolation game that was so popular during Jordan's time when you had a guy hold on to his dribble for 15 sseconds and wait for everybody to clear out.

We probably only disagree a bit. I agree uncontested dunks are boring (though still not as boring as a team that never takes it inside), but I think Stern thinks the three second rule makes the game more exciting. I don't have particularly strong feelings either way about it. What I would like to see are rules that heavily penalize intentional fouling in the last five or so minutes of a game. And some rules that don't reward flopping would be nice too, but I guess you can't have everything.

FWIW (admittedly, absolutely nothing...say it again!!!), those mediocre Cavs were the playoff opponent that gave the World Champions the best series in the playoffs.

Bynum back may have made it a bit more interesting, but would it really have mattered, ultimately?

Looks like Baron Davis is heading south to the Clippers (for 5 yr, $65M). Assuming Brand now comes back, how do the Clippers look for next year?

They also drafted Texas A&M's DeAndre Jordan, who I don't think is ready for the NBA, but he's big and has potential I guess. Could have used a year or two more seasoning in college though. He wasn't even good enough to remain a starter at A&M.

Maggette is likely departing the Clips, and with Baron playing alongside Brand/Livingston/Kaman/Mobley they could be exciting. Assuming Livingston comes back in the same form he had before that terrible knee injury, and assuming Brand is 100%.

The Warriors might be left out in the cold, with Baron splitting and Agent Zero staying put with the Wizards.

Maggette is likely departing the Clips, and with Baron playing alongside Brand/Livingston/Kaman/Mobley they could be exciting. Assuming Livingston comes back in the same form he had before that terrible knee injury, and assuming Brand is 100%.

The Warriors might be left out in the cold, with Baron splitting and Agent Zero staying put with the Wizards.

Word here is that the Dubz offered Brand more than 10 million over what the Clippers can. Though the way Barron handled this it makes think there was some collusion between Barron, Brand and the Clippers. If it happens I would be happy with a Brand for Baron trade.

The thing with Brand, Gilbert and Baron is that they are all great players who will demand a lot of money who have had major injury issues. I don't blame Baron for going for the money but he totally f-d the Dubz who could have moved him in a pre draft trade or drafted a pg and saved them 10 million in cap space.