Dock Boggs' early recordings

Hoppy T. Frog

The Revenant reissue seems to be horribly out-of-print, but why have none of the out-of-copyright Euro labels like Document or Proper done anything? Does Revenant plan to reissue the re-issue?

I've got this one and the Smithsonian collection. The Revenant is a mini hard back book with nice notes & photos plus a CD of Dock's early recordings. Seems like a good thing for Document to release, but who know's if that'll ever happen. There's a new company called Archeophone Records doing old-timey stuff. They're actually here in town (Champaign, IL)! You might contact them and express your desire to see the old Dock Boggs' stuff from the 1920's come out again!

- LCM

Interesting to hear what those extra years adds to those songs. I love them both for their own charms. The 20s stuff sounds rough-n-rambunctious, but the 60s is more contemplative and world-weary.

Sugar Baby is one of my all-time faves. I think Frisell covers it on his "The Willies" release.

• 2 weeks later...

just a self-plug, on my latest CD I do a song, "Oi Death" which is inspired by Boggs's version of "Oh Death" which I learned off of a "live" at Newport album -

also, there is film of him singing that is available on a DVD, if I can find it I'll post the title -

to me he is one of the major performers of that whole era - both the 1920s and the Folk Revival -

Edited by AllenLowe