Pricing of Blue Note CDs

Brad

I'm not in the music business so perhaps the way music companies price things may make sense. I don't know. However, can somebody explain to me why a Blue Note sesssion that is reissued as a RVG is $11.98 while a connoisseur edition is $17.98. Yes, I know cd universe and others sell it cheaper.

For example the RVG of Hank Mobley's Rollcall is $11.98 while the Flip is $17.98. Can somebody who's in the business explain this. To me, it makes no sense, unless Conns sell better than RVGs (although I think you'd be buying the artist and not the edition, if that's the case).

My guess on this is that the RVG's weren't that successful when their list price was $17.98. They seemed geared more towards the average jazz fan than the connoisseurs are. Having had most of the titles in McMaster form, I wasn't really interested in replacing them, but when the price went down, those RVG's got a lot more attractive to me.

I remember when the conns were launched they were intended for the true Blue Note fans that had been requesting obscure titles, hence the higher list price.

That's my guess.

:rsmile:

The conns don't sell nearly as well because of their obscurity, so they try to make back some of the additional risk associated with selling them by charging more. The RVG's are more mainstream titles, and sell quite a bit better, and are often sonic upgrades of previously available titles.

Like Africa Brass, I would be much more inclined to pay $10 for a Sonic Upgrade of a title I already have on CD, than I ever would if the RVG's were $15 each.

($10 and $15 are more like what I end up paying, per disc, after whatever discounts I can find.)

I still haven't picked up Jason Moran MODERNISTIC because it is always in the $18.99 price range! BANDWAGON was not. I don't understand...

I'm pretty sure I can pick you up a used 'Modernistic' for something in the $7 to $9 range, if you're interested. Heck, I may even have an extra copy around the house, come to think of it. I'll take a look, and get back to you in a few days...

I'm not in the music business so perhaps the way music companies price things may make sense. I don't know. However, can somebody explain to me why a Blue Note sesssion that is reissued as a RVG is $11.98 while a connoisseur edition is $17.98. Yes, I know cd universe and others sell it cheaper.

For example the RVG of Hank Mobley's Rollcall is $11.98 while the Flip is $17.98. Can somebody who's in the business explain this. To me, it makes no sense, unless Conns sell better than RVGs (although I think you'd be buying the artist and not the edition, if that's the case).

It probably has to do with price elasticities. Since RVGs are generally titles that Blue Note expects to sell to an audience wider than hardcore collectors, the quantity sold is probably more sensitive to price changes than that of Connoisseurs.

Guy

The BN web site has the new Conns "on sale" for $13.98.

I suspect the reason is that the Conns are not commercially appealing, for the most part. Still, it seems odd that the pricing is so different.

The fact that the web-site has dropped the price of the new Conns is almost an admission that the list price is too high. (Of course, most new releases generally sell well below list). But if the RVG's became more popular when the price was dropped, why wouldn't the same apply to the Conns? And it seems to me the RVG's must be as expensive to produce - at least they generally have new liner notes.

Although it bites bit-time to have to shell-out $15-$16 per CD for a whole batch of Conns, all at the same time (like if all of them are great), I will say that when you consider them individually (or at least when I do), I think that most of the Conns are well worth $15 or $16.

Let's put it this way... There have been plenty of Conns that I've bought at the $15/$16 price, where there are quite a number of RVG's that I haven't bought, even though they were much cheaper. The typical "Conn" release is something I've been salivating about for a year or more, where quite a few of the RVG's are "nice to have", but not titles that I feel I gotta own the very day they come out.

Although it bites bit-time to have to shell-out $15-$16 per CD for a whole batch of Conns, all at the same time (like if all of them are great), I will say that when you consider them individually (or at least when I do), I think that most of the Conns are well worth $15 or $16.

Let's put it this way... There have been plenty of Conns that I've bought at the $15/$16 price, where there are quite a number of RVG's that I haven't bought, even though they were much cheaper. The typical "Conn" release is something I've been salivating about for a year or more, where quite a few of the RVG's are "nice to have", but not titles that I feel I gotta own the very day they come out.

I tend to agree with you, but lately more old, OOP Conns have been popping up as new RVGs. As that happens, the aesthetic line between the two grows fuzzier. As the RVG's metastasize and, amoeba-like, absorb the Conns, eventually every BN album will become an RVG and the Conns will be gone.

(Or maybe not.)

That's pretty much my feeling, Bruce. The RVG series has pretty much lost its original aim/style/purpose/whatever, and the exciting days of the early Conns (with terrifying eBay prices) are long gone now.

If anyone is paying more than about $7.50 for the RVGs, they are paying too much. There are so many sales that there is no need to pay the official $12.98. Someone from Manitoba posted that a store there sells them for about $7.50 (U.S.), then there's Zweitausendeins.de, then the U.K. HMV site (www.hmv.co.uk) for the Poms.