Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guus Janssen -- First name pronounced something like "Hchuss" I believe, as though one were clearing phlegm from the throat.

He's a great pianist. Seen him once live and was really impressed by the scope of his vision coming from Teddy Wilson via Tristano and Monk. He swings, he stutters and of course has great humour like most of the Dutch players. His duo album with Han Benninnk is great . He's a very suitable replacement for Misha in the ICP.

Thanks, Larry & Clunky

As you might know, I get pretty fired up for live shows.

Now hearing such great things about Guus Janssen, as well as knowing that two of the best NY improvisors/musicians will be jointing the Orchestra tomorrow night, has me on the edge of euphoria!!!

Some would say on the edge of insanity.

"Butter" from The Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra - 20 Years at the Village Vanguard - Atlantic

Wow, this tune has it all. A beautiful ballad composed and arranged by Jerry Dodgion.

Lovely solos by Ken Werner on piano and Ed Neumeister on trombone along with outstanding ensemble

playing by the band. This is a tune to listen to many times.

"Butter" from The Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra - 20 Years at the Village Vanguard - Atlantic

Wow, this tune has it all. A beautiful ballad composed and arranged by Jerry Dodgion.

Lovely solos by Ken Werner on piano and Ed Neumeister on trombone along with outstanding ensemble

playing by the band. This is a tune to listen to many times.

Thanks for reminding me of that one, Peter. I bought it in 2009 - relatively recently for me for a vinyl album and I regret my vinyl collection doesn't get many plays nowadays. Looking forward to giving it a spin tomorrow.