jazzbo

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, paul secor said:

Powerful wailing music. Do you have a more precise date for this? I thought that by 1966, McCoy (and probably Elvin) had left the band.

Yes very good indeed .... also highly doubt this was recorded in 1966, but all research regarding "Impressions" recorded @ France in 1965 generated different versions - therefore did hope sharung this video would bring up the solution via a knowledgeable Forum Member .... maybe we should put it into a "Request Thread " ?

On 6/10/2016 at 3:53 PM, paul secor said:

Powerful wailing music. Do you have a more precise date for this? I thought that by 1966, McCoy (and probably Elvin) had left the band.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/discography.asp?number=MDVD-2001&price=$24.98&copies=DVD

"Live in Antibes, France on July 27 & 28, 1965", actually July 26 & 27, 1965

Edited by l p

7 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

R-3037686-1312833595.jpeg.jpg

Duke's "Don't You Know I Care (Or Don't You Care to Know)" arranged by Don Menza; with the soulful Joe Romano on a wonderful  tenor solo. Joe was the real deal.  

While living in Joe Romano's home town of Rochester, New York, I had an opportunity to hear him live many many times. Heard him play alto with a local big band about 3 or 4 times, and tenor in a quartet he headed numerous times. I preferred him on tenor, though he was best known for playing alto in a number of name bands.

Joe was a fabulous musician,with a great deal of passion in his playing. Unfortunately he only made one small group recording as leader, but it's a fine one.

4 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

While living in Joe Romano's home town of Rochester, New York, I had an opportunity to hear him live many many times. Heard him play alto with a local big band about 3 or 4 times, and tenor in a quartet he headed numerous times. I preferred him on tenor, though he was best known for playing alto in a number of name bands.

Joe was a fabulous musician,with a great deal of passion in his playing. Unfortunately he only made one small group recording as leader, but it's a fine one.

Some of my favorite Romano is on Sam Noto's "Act One" on Xanadu. Love that whole album.

But I've never heard Joe's own recording. I'll have to check it out. 

19 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Some of my favorite Romano is on Sam Noto's "Act One" on Xanadu. Love that whole album.

But I've never heard Joe's own recording. I'll have to check it out. 

I agree with you regarding the Sam Noto session. Joe can also be heard on Sam Noto's - "Notes To You" on Xanadu. Neither has been reissued on CD, but definitely should be, in my opinion.

Joe's one CD as leader was on his own label.

Joe Romano - This Is The Moment - Joe Romano 928

with Joe Magnarelli, Dino Losito, Neal Miner , Mike Melito

Not sure about it's availability?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:38 PM, Peter Friedman said:

I agree with you regarding the Sam Noto session. Joe can also be heard on Sam Noto's - "Notes To You" on Xanadu. Neither has been reissued on CD, but definitely should be, in my opinion.

Joe's one CD as leader was on his own label.

Joe Romano - This Is The Moment - Joe Romano 928

with Joe Magnarelli, Dino Losito, Neal Miner , Mike Melito

Not sure about it's availability?

Looks like it's available as a download:  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/joeromano2

This column indicates that it was released on cd:  https://www.allaboutjazz.com/this-is-the-moment-joe-romano-review-by-j-robert-bragonier.php

Actually, it would be the best track I heard all week three weeks ago, but Sarah Vaughan's Lullaby of Birdland.  It's been stuck in my head ever since.  It's amazing how lovely it's been, particularly when I compare it to that stretch when my brain kept firing off Melanie's Brand New Key...

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

11219704_920100221391325_610068626077200

"King Oliver in Savannah" from Jeff Crompton's EP

The music captures the mood of the short narrative in Jeff's liner note perfectly.

And it just hit me which thread this is. Thank you so much for the kind words, Paul. I'm honored.