Best track you heard all week

jazzbo

Spent a lot of time recently revisiting Fats Navarro’s discography for a Night Lights show, including this track, with lots of flamethrower repartee between Fats and Howard McGhee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llk7Prh7s6k&pp=ygUYZmF0cyBuYXZhcnJvlGRvdWJsZSBOYWxr

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tadd Dameron group with Clifford Brown from "Clifford Brown Memorial" on Prestige doing "Theme of no Repeat". The writing is just fine, Clifford is excellent, the rhythm section of Philly Joe and Percy Heath is perfect   - and Tadd is incredible! He often gets dissed as playing "arrangers piano" but here that ain't near the truth - think Monk with a touch of Bud, but completely Tadd!

16 hours ago, Quasimado said:

Tadd Dameron group with Clifford Brown from "Clifford Brown Memorial" on Prestige doing "Theme of no Repeat". The writing is just fine, Clifford is excellent, the rhythm section of Philly Joe and Percy Heath is perfect   - and Tadd is incredible! He often gets dissed as playing "arrangers piano" but here that ain't near the truth - think Monk with a touch of Bud, but completely Tadd!

You said it ! 

When we were that "gang" of 18 year old jazz addicts, I had what we called "the blue Tadd Dameron album", it was a cheap Musidisc titled "Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro, Birdland 1949" and it´s a super hot set or two sets of bop live. 
And on each title there is a nice Dameron solo. 
He could play lines as well as fat chords and often started his solo more boppish, but different to Bud, and ended it with fat block chords. 
On ballads he had a wonderful sound, and his voicings were unique. 
I also had "Miles Davis-Tadd Dameron Paris 1949" and "Tadd Dameron-John Coltrane" on Prestige. 
All have very much solo space for Tadd. 

And if he would have reacted to the injustice that was done to him (dissed as playing "arranger´s piano") , on "Eb Pob" he plays such a virtuoso solo it would have been equal to Bud. We boys always said he can do it and if he was annoyed by crittics maybe he did that solo on Eb Pob to say "okay if THAT´s what you wanna hear, I can do it easily, but it´s not what I think to do permanently". 

Monday night at Porgy´s : Kirk Leightsey Quartet......with trombonist Paul Zauner: They played an Abbey Lincoln Song I think the title is "Don´t throw it away" or "keep it if it is your´s", that´s a wonderful slow bossa with wonderful chords. I had never heard it before and obviously it was not on "Captain Kirk´s" playlist, since he had to take out the sheet. It was the soft sound of the trombone, that played the melody. 

Such moments are the best in jazz. You hear musician colleages doin´a song that moves you and you wanna try out your own version of it for the next time......

• 2 weeks later...

Mose Allison once said that he thought of his piano playing as jazz and his singing as blues.  Since his notoriety came from singing, it's easy to overlook Allison's jazz piano playing.  (I know I did for a long time.)  But his pianism is just as interesting and distinctive as his singing.  For example, check out "Devil in the Cane Field" with Addison Farmer (b) and Ronnie Free (d) in 1959:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 7:18 AM, soulpope said:

Excellent .... unfortunately no other recordings with Jimmy Woode and Joe Harris surfaced ....

Always love to hear Bud playing Round Midnight, mostly at Birdland on the CBS recordings "One Night at Birdland" and "Summit Meeting at Birdland", 

And a fantastic trio version is on the ESP record "At Blue Note Café" in Paris. 
And one of the most moving performances is I think on a Danish video, fantastic version, and Bud seems to flirt with a young girl in the audience while playing it....

• 1 month later...