What happened to Larry Young in 62-63??

Soul Stream

Great thread Soul Stream!

I think I remember reading somewhere that Young frequently jammed with John Coltrane when Coltrane bought his house in Engelwood Cliffs. For some reason, I think it was in the book Chasin' the Trane, though I could be wrong. I wonder is this could have been the time period that this shift occured.

Just guessing.

Isn't there alleged to be a tape of a Young/Coltrane practice session floating around somewhere?

That would be cool to hear. In the liners to 'Mothership' Michael Cuscana writes that no documentation of the events exist. This sounds right, but it could also mean that no known tape exists. It would be nice for something like this to turn up.

Also not be off topic, but in the liner notes it also said that Larry died in the hospital due to negligence. What was he in the hospital for? And what exactly happened?

Edited by lukrion

Also not be off topic, but in the liner notes it also said that Larry died in the hospital due to negligence. What was he in the hospital for? And what exactly happened?

I was also intrigued by Larry Young's early death, this is what I found recently at the www.doodlinlounge.com site:

Biographical information about Larry has not always been easy to find. We know that he was born on October 7, 1940 in Newark, New Jersey and that he died less than 38 years later in an East Orange hospital on March 30, 1978. He had apparently been admitted to this hospital around two in the morning when only a skeleton crew worked the emergency room. He passed peacefully due to the internal bleeding that resulted from a ruptured spleen... The obituary written in a June, 1978 issue of Downbeat, reported that Larry left a teenage son and a wife with two infant children (daughters) when he died. Larry also fathered a daughter, Sekena, in 1968. She is currently studying theology in Boston.

Great thread Soul Stream!

I think I remember reading somewhere that Young frequently jammed with John Coltrane when Coltrane bought his house in Engelwood Cliffs. For some reason, I think it was in the book Chasin' the Trane, though I could be wrong. I wonder is this could have been the time period that this shift occured.

Just guessing.

Isn't there alleged to be a tape of a Young/Coltrane practice session floating around somewhere?

That would be cool to hear. In the liners to 'Mothership' Michael Cuscana writes that no documentation of the events exist. This sounds right, but it could also mean that no known tape exists. It would be nice for something like this to turn up.

My memory of where I heard that a tape might exist is extremely sketchy. If one does, it's probably in the possession of the estate, which means that it would be up to Ravi & Alice as to whether to release it or not. But so far I can't even confirm the rumor that I heard/read.

I'll second Chuck's recommendation on the Jimmy Forrest Delmarks.

Edited by ghost of miles

Wow, I've never heard that. Of course, I'm not a musical insider in any way. If true, it's a shame. I thought he was a devout Muslim.?

Never stopped Buhaina. Nor has any religious faith ever kept some of its practicioners from doing things seemingly at odds with their beliefs. I'd heard stories before to the effect that Young had, at the very least, dabbled. It doesn't detract at all from my enjoyment of his music--just makes me bummed if it indeed played a role in cutting his life & career short.