Frank Sinatra

Mark Stryker

On 11/3/2018 at 8:48 PM, Mark Stryker said:

Thanks for the detail. I was going to pass on this because, I was thinking, do I really need buy ANOTHER version of a record I've now owned on at least two previous LPs and two previous CDs? I did not realize, however, that the answer was "yes."

The fact's uncommonly clear.

Same here. Excuse me while my bank balance disappears...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

Jim, do you have the "original master recording" version? It's an absolutely gorgeous issue of the original mono Hi-Fi record. I think TTK may have put me onto it. I'm curious how the newly remixed stereo version might compare to it.

gregmo

I looked for it for a while, but could never find it at a sensible price (I didn't go "all in" on Sinatra until 15 or so years ago, so it had come and gone as a real-time market item by then). Same thing for Songs For Swingin' Lovers, somehow the "normal" Capitol CD has an azymuth problem, or something, there's a "swishy" sound on some of it. The Mobile Fidelity Labs issue of THAT one was and is out of my range.

So, no, I don't know how to compare the new stereo mix to that one. But I can tell you that the new Stereo mix beats the living crap out of the old one,  and I was never disgruntl;ed about that one!

Here's what they say the did: http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/frank-sinatra-only-the-lonely-60th-anniversary-deluxe-edition/

The new 60th anniversary edition is reissued across various formats. The two-CD edition features the original 1958 mono mix and a brand new 2018 stereo mix by Larry Walsh. ‘Only The Lonely’ was recorded as both a mono and stereo presentation,” explains Larry Walsh in the sleeve notes for this release. “The mono was the focus as that was the chief format of the day. The stereo was recorded with two microphones suspended high over the studio orchestra. Frank Sinatra’s voice was recorded onto a third track. With the stereo recording being mid-side decoded, the depth of the studio is revealed.”

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

I looked for it for a while, but could never find it at a sensible price (I didn't go "all in" on Sinatra until 15 or so years ago, so it had come and gone as a real-time market item by then). Same thing for Songs For Swingin' Lovers, somehow the "normal" Capitol CD has an azymuth problem, or something, there's a "swishy" sound on some of it. The Mobile Fidelity Labs issue of THAT one was and is out of my range.

So, no, I don't know how to compare the new stereo mix to that one. But I can tell you that the new Stereo mix beats the living crap out of the old one,  and I was never disgruntl;ed about that one!

Here's what they say the did: http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/frank-sinatra-only-the-lonely-60th-anniversary-deluxe-edition/

The new 60th anniversary edition is reissued across various formats. The two-CD edition features the original 1958 mono mix and a brand new 2018 stereo mix by Larry Walsh. ‘Only The Lonely’ was recorded as both a mono and stereo presentation,” explains Larry Walsh in the sleeve notes for this release. “The mono was the focus as that was the chief format of the day. The stereo was recorded with two microphones suspended high over the studio orchestra. Frank Sinatra’s voice was recorded onto a third track. With the stereo recording being mid-side decoded, the depth of the studio is revealed.”

Ok, thanks for the response. Yeah, I parked that choice in the favorites on Amazon for a while before a copy came available at a price I was willing to pay. I plan to get the new issue, so I'll see what I can hear!

gregmo