Aggie87

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Aggie, don't remember if we've ever discussed this...have you heard this album?

Bill Goodwin, "Solar Energy"

3 tracks are a trio with Sco and Swallow, recorded 3/10/79; the other 4 tracks are a quartet with Sco, Bill Dobbins and Steve Gilmore, recorded 9/14/80. Very tasty.

post-850-1200807271_thumb.jpg

MJ - I've overlooked that one. Sounds like it's worth tracking down though! I like alot of the early Sco recordings (as well as some of the most recent - Trio Beyond, En Route, and This Meets That are all VERY good!).

I looked on line and it appears this Goodwin has never been released on cd, unfortunately (I have a turntable, but it's packed away at the moment).

Thanks for the heads up!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

1063979.jpg

John Scofield (guitar); Jon Cleary (piano, organ, vocals); George Porter Jr (bass); Ricky Fataar (drums); John Bouttè (vocals); Shannon Powell (percussion)

2009 Release. It is a rare artist that can explore more than one kind of music with true fluency, virtuosity and sincerity. Guitarist John Scofield can, and he s proven it once again with Piety Street - a powerful collection of Gospel renditions.

Playing with John on this recording: Born in Kent, England in 1964, Jon Cleary is known for his salty-sweet voice, masterful piano/ organ skills. Cleary is best known as a member of Bonnie Raitt's band and his own group Jon Cleary & the Absolute Monster Gentlemen.

Sharing a 26 December birthday with Scofield, Porter, Jr. was born in Louisiana in 1947. Few bass players in the history of modern New Orleans music are as storied as George Porter Jr. During the course of a career spanning four decades, Porter earned recognition as one of America's most iconic and elite bass players as a member of The Meters.

Born in Durban, South Africa in 1952, Ricky Fataar started playing drums at age nine. Fataar appeared in film The Rutles, All You Need is Cash, playing guitarist Stig O'Hara. Stateside by the early 70's, he joined the Beach Boys, touring and recording as their drummer. He has been Bonnie Raitt's drummer since 1979. Multi-instrumentalist, Ricky also writes music for films.

Born into a seventh generation Lousiana, singer John Boutté lives and breathes the heart and soul of New Orleans. Boutte works with a wonderful amalgam of styles -- from torchy jazz to soul and African-American gospel.

Also native to New Orleans, drummer and percussionist Shannon Powell, 43, is both a traditional jazz and modern jazz musician. Powell is widely recognized for his six years in Harry Connick Jr. s band.

I remember when Sco put out his Ray tribute ... I was like oh man first Sco ever I don't get a copy of. Eventually I broke down and bought it. This one will probably be the same !

Though I have to say that the night I saw him on that tour, it was some of the best playing I've ever heard from him (for reference, I've seen him about 7-8 times starting in '92).

I remember when Sco put out his Ray tribute ... I was like oh man first Sco ever I don't get a copy of. Eventually I broke down and bought it. This one will probably be the same !

Though I have to say that the night I saw him on that tour, it was some of the best playing I've ever heard from him (for reference, I've seen him about 7-8 times starting in '92).

That might be because John just keeps on getting better & better with age. At this rate , by the time Sco hits 60 no one will be able to listen to him ! He's already so freakin' good sometimes I have to turn off the music ...

Edited by oneofanotherkind